News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Wtd, about 6" of steel tube, int dia 8mm...

Started by Mark G, 25, April, 2010, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G

Wtd, about 6" of steel tube, int dia 8mm...

As per title really, I'm going to redesign my gear shifter and to do it I will need some steel tube, Internal diameter of 8mm, external diameter doesn't really matter as long as it's thick enough to weld to.

I only need about 6 inches so I don't really want to go out and buy a meter, Hoping someone may have a little lying around or be able to cut me off a little bit.

Willing to give a couple of quid plus postage.

Cheers
Mark.

PhilW

Mark G

Quarrycars

I have some 4140 steel 7.7mm ID tube.  May also have some Duralamin about that size.

Mark G

Quote from: Quarrycars on 26, April, 2010, 10:47:44 AM
I have some 4140 steel 7.7mm ID tube.  May also have some Duralamin about that size.

Thanks for that QC, I don't know much about steel grades.  Is 4140 ok to weld to?  If so then I'd very much appreciate if I could have a small amount.

Thanks
Mark

Quarrycars

4130 is aircraft quality, machines and welds just fine.  I'm in mid Wales, I can stick it in an envelope but not sure if it will go through the post.  I plan to be at Stoneleigh Sunday, will you be there or can I give it to one of the club members?

Mark G

That's great, I'm going to try to get to stoneleigh. If I do then I'll grab it off you then. If not I may get you to pass it on to a local member and I can grab it off them.

Do you want anything for it £ wise?

Thanks again, I'll let you know the plan.

Mark.

Quarrycars

Happy to be able to help, I knew there was a reason for keeping all those bits of metal!  I just rechecked my 'stock' and I have 2 differnt ODs in the size you need, 11.0mm or 9.6mm, the lighter one will save you about 50 grams! Let me know which one will work best.  Look forward to seeing you at Stoneleigh.
Cheerz, John T

Mark G

Thanks John, I'll take the 11mm please.
Unfortunately I can't make it to the show this weekend, Phil (G + Toniq) has kindly agreed to get the piece off you and then I'll grab it off him as he's local to me.  Are you going on the sun & Monday or just one day? If you could send me your number via pm I'll forward it onto phil so you can meet up.

Many thanks
mark

Quarrycars

We'll be there today (Sun), I'll drop the tube off at the BKCC stand.  My cell # is 07969 *******.  Good luck with the project.
Cheerz, JT

'The Gaffer'

Bulldog Bri

Yep, It will be in my car til I see you Mark.

See you soon

8)

Mark G

Thanks guys,  I may have to pop over and grab it from you at some point if that's ok Bri? Hoping to redesign the shift unit before I take the car out again.

Mark G

I got the bar today. I'd like to send a big thankyou to John for his generosity and thanks to Brian for getting it to me.  I owe you both a drink.
Mark

Bulldog Bri

Quarrycars

Mark,
Glad you got the tube, that bit of metal has had quite a journey.  It came in a bag of offcuts from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty in California, got shipped to Wales when I returned with all my workshop stuff, then via Stoneleigh to your hand.  Pleased it finally has come in useful.  Good luck with the project, hope to see it one day.   8)  Cheerz, JT ;D