News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Marlin Roadster wanted

Started by CompoSimmonite, 10, January, 2014, 09:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CompoSimmonite

I'm after a Marlin Roadster either Triumph or Marina based. It'd be modified so dismantled, parts missing, neglected etc all suitable. As long as properly registered with DVLA (noted as Triumph Sports, Marlin, Austin Special type of thing) virtually anything considered. I expect Q reg so that isn't a problem nor is age related reg. No problem V5 missing as long as I can confirm (via free HPi check) it's on DVLA records and how registered.

Thanks.

Paul H

Bulldog Bri

First off. Welcome Paul to the club. I'll keep my ears and eyes open for anything suitable and let you know.

Hers a quick off Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARLIN-roadster-kitcar-/321289257516?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ace55022c

Have you had a kit car before or just getting into the scene?

8)

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club. Hope you find what you are looking for.

CompoSimmonite

Hi.

I've owned over 100 different cars including several kits. Last year I lost my licence on health grounds until I undertook a fitness to drive assessment - this was after a stroke. Including the time I wasn't well enough to drive, along with the wait for the test, it was around 12 months. It's made me realise I should follow my dreams now as you never know what the future holds. Whilst I've currently got a 1972 Austin (post Healey agreement) Sprite project I struggle to get in and out so it's need modifying (and probably IVA) to move A post and create longer door for better access. Reflecting I then decided there would be other modifications so the end result would be more like a Dragonfly (stretched and modified Spridget - http://www.thewaywewere.me.uk/page48aaaa.html ) and it might be easier to start with a Marlin. At first I fancied a Berlinetta but the more I read about the purity of the Roadster design the more it appealed. Easy to make Marlin roadster doors deeper and other people have already done that to their cars. The running boards create a problem for climbing over but again solvable by either narrower boards or eliminating them and going for cycle wings like the Marlin Sportster but I also like the idea of Seven type clamshell wings.
If I took a blank sheet of paper and in a schoolboy fashion designed my ideal car the end result wouldn't be far off a Marlin. In fact the only aspect I don't like is the shape of the lower edge of the windscreen but can live with that.
I'd need autobox and power steering so along with the other modifications you can understand why I want a project car rather than something already in good condition, and on the road, as it'd be a waste to dismantle and throw away big parts of it.
I've joined the Marlin owners club but no luck finding suck a project via them yet.

BTW I've also got a Smart Fortwo which is my main run around, Skoda Fabia diesel which is the "family"  / tow car that wife normally nabs (she doesn't like the Smart), Mahindra MM540 and a Peugeot Expert bought to convert to camper but now decided it's never be used so will be sold idc.

Paul H

garry h

Welcome to the club Paul good luck with your search  :)

Krazyken

Hi Paul

Try the Marlin Owners Club website, there are usually cars for sale of this type.

CompoSimmonite

Quote from: Krazyken on 11, January, 2014, 09:56:48 PM
Hi Paul

Try the Marlin Owners Club website, there are usually cars for sale of this type.

Look there every day (am member of the club) but no cars, or any other items, for sale in the classifieds. I have considered other cars like Merlin, Gentry, JBA and Pilgrim but keep on coming back to the Marlin.

Paul H

CompoSimmonite

Got one  ;D
1800 Marina based for £850. Properly registered so that is regarded as cheap ! Now the fun will start - going to change the engine for the 1275 & gearbox out of my Sprite as not a great lover of the B Series after owning 3 MGB's.

Paul H

YellaBelly

Welcome Paul, and nice choice on the car. The Marlin, Merlin or JBA were all on my first list of kits to buy but I ended up going the most difficult route I could and building the Locost!

Looks a nice car, and a good buy too by the sound of it. Look forward to seeing the progress pictures :)

JB

CompoSimmonite

Quote from: YellaBelly on 15, January, 2014, 07:22:35 AM
Welcome Paul, and nice choice on the car. The Marlin, Merlin or JBA were all on my first list of kits to buy but I ended up going the most difficult route I could and building the Locost!

Looks a nice car, and a good buy too by the sound of it. Look forward to seeing the progress pictures :)

JB

Always fancied a 7 type car. Got stuck in a Caterham at a show (couldn't get out and had to be pulled from car) which made me realise my leg disabilities had reached the stage where doors essential !
I did consider building a Locost and altering design along the lines of the Caterham 21 chassis so I could have doors but then thought a Marlin would save all that trouble.
Even now the Marlin will be modified and possibly either cycle or, if they look right, clamshell type wings so no running boards therefore easier access. A post is also going to be moved forward so is at same angle as windscreen pillar and I can then have traditional roadster suicide doors - FX4 / TX1 can provide the necessary door catch to remain legal (have to "deadlock" when moving). The existing door aperture of a Marlin is deeper than the size of the doors fitted due to the running board and there is a blanking panel for the lower section. Eliminate or lower running board and bigger doors can be fitted like these -

Paul H

Bulldog Bri

The Marlin is a good solid car, and it looks like you got a bargain there :D

Me thinks you have a nice little winter project there, good luck with the mods, hope to see it in the summer

8)

Are you local? You've not told us what area you from.  ::)

YellaBelly

Sounds like you have your work cut out there chap! Good luck with it ;)

'The Gaffer'

Looks like  pretty good condition and the bonus of registration is not to be sniffed at.

Dont forget to put up some pics of your progress, always interesting to see.

Moleman

I hope the mod's go well & that we will see you at some of our events & meetings.  :)
Even while you doing your mod's you are welcome to come along to any of our meetings if you wish?  :D
Like The Gaffer says don't be shy on putting up some progress photo's of your mod's?  :)

garry h

Good luck with your project looks and sounds like you have your work cut out for you sounds like it will be worth all the hard work  :) :)

Iancider

I wish you well - it looks like a good project and I admire you for your determination 8)