+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

removal of engine from mk2 sumo

Started by danwilko, 15, September, 2011, 06:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwilko

not sure if this is right section but here goes.

looks like my v6 essex engine has 2 core plugs missing. one is just below one of the spark plugs so easy enough to do but seems one is right up inbetween the belhousing of the gearbox and as such think i have to take the engine out.

can this be done and still leave the gearbox on the car? it looks like it can and seems like theres enough space to pull up the engine, but any one got any advice or hints?

seeing as im doing this, im also going to change the clutch as its pretty stuck, along with change the exhaust manifold and exhausts. Wheres the best place to get these?

and while im here, my mk2 sumo has a iffy loking radiator so was going to do that after, but not sure if its a granada one or a sierra one. is there any obvious way of telling?

this is certainly turing into a lot to do for the winter  :o

Sumov8

Although I have taken the engine in and out a few times and left the gearbox in place it was a MK 3 Sumo and I did not have the body on.

That said I have looked a number of times at how I would do this now and with the bonnet / radiator and any other items likely to get in the way removed
I would jack up the rear axle to make it higher than the engine, this allows the engine to slide forward.
If you then place a block under the bell housing once the engine has been raised slightly, I would remove both the engine mounts completely from the chasis
this would be easier than trying to raise the engine high enough to clear the rubber mounts.

I have an engine hoist that is reasonable easy to transport if you have a small van and wish to borrow it.

Good luck ;)

danwilko

thank you for the offer on the engine hoist but we do have one at home, so will be using that one.

the radiator is angled and positioned right at the front of the body so might not have many issues, although sounds good to move that first.

and as mines only the v6 essex engine, it sould be slightly shorter than the v8? but interesting ideas and many thanks

just want to hear it running before i remove it now, but seems the plugs dont wan to sprak, think its the distributor cap