Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Castle Combe Track Day - Sat 2nd April only £129

Started by Krazyken, 24, December, 2010, 02:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Krazyken

We have been invited by Bristol Pegasus Motor Club to partake in their Exclusive Castle Combe Track Day.  The cost is just £129 per car with only 6 cars on track per session on Saturday 2nd April.  A good way to blow out those winter cobwebs, usual noise limit of 100bB at 4500rpm.

You are guaranteed a minimum of 4 x 20 minute sessions but most people get 5 sessions and some even get 6 depending on how the cut off falls at the end of the day.

If you would like to partake please contact Andy Moss the Chairman of BPMC at andy@mossdata.co.uk

Sumov8

Are members allowed to attend as a spectator on the day?
Steve ::)

Krazyken

Yes, as the circuit is hired for the exclusive use of the BPMC, entrance is free to both track users and spectators.

Krazyken

There is now a dedicated website for this event where full details can be found www.castlecombetrackday.org.uk

Please cut and paste this into your web browser for full details

David H

robp

I've been to this event for the last few years.  Good value for a full day at Combe on a weekend.  Well organised too.  Only a few cars on the track at any one time so sometimes it can feel you're out there on your own!  Recommended.

Having said all that, may give it a miss this year myself.  Bit Combe'd out.  Put my hard earned towards other events.

dikkie

would this be a suitable place for a newbie? I've never done a track day before so I think it's pretty fair to say I'm going to be slow!

Daley Down Under

Combe can be a bit daunting first time out.  There's virtually zero run off, lots of barriers and the track surface is very poor in the damp/wet (bear in mind its April in the UK!!!).  For the same money, I'd suggest doing an airfield day with Motorpsort Events (http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/).  Abingdon is a very good surface, good layout and the events are really friendly and well run.  Surface not so good at Hullavington but still worth a go. 

Alternatively, the Llandow CKC day should be good and even cheaper.

Adrian

dikkie

thanks for the advice Adrian, my names down for CKC in May, maybe I'll make that the first trip out.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 07, January, 2011, 09:51:21 AM
Combe can be a bit daunting first time out. 

Agreed, I was quite apprehensive about it first time, especially of Quarry but as long as you take it easy you should be fine. A couple of trackdays at Llandow certainly helped before I ventured onto Combe.

You are not racing as such on any trackday, just trying to better your own personal time, so as long as you (like me) keep out of the way of the fast folks nobody gets upset.

stupott901

Doe any one know why MSE dont have any dates for Keevil airfield on thier website ? went last year and it was good and its just round the corner from me which is a bonus

yeah i dont think im up to a racing circuit track day yet I would like more practice on airfields fisrt.

Is Hullavington any good?

Daley Down Under

MSE are fInalising their Keevil dates - will be on the website soon. Hullavington is ok - surface round the back is a bit iffy but woth a visit as its local. Colerne is off the calendar for 2011.

David H

I second Adrian's thoughts

Keevil is one of my favorite little tracks as it is a great place to throw the car around with little fear.... remember though, its NOT a drift day.... ;D

Combe is all the above but fantastic as well.

I was advised to do an airfield day before going to Combe when I started doing track days. Good advice

robp

Yes, been to Keevil too.  First time out on the track I though, mmm, doesn't look great just driving down runways around a few cones.  However, soon started enjoying myself and ended up having a fantastic day.  MSE guys were great.  Open pitlane is the way to go.

Personally wouldn't worry about starting with a trackday at Combe, just avoid the 'Action Days'.  Pegasus would be a great one as there are so few cars on the track at anyone time so there's plenty of room for yourself.  Also, other track users are very respectful (unless you come across that Westfield Wolfpack from a couple of years ago  ;) ;) ;) :D).  The excitment you'll feel exiting the pits for the first time will be worth the £129 on it's own!

Edited to add:  The only thing I hate about Combe is the grip in the wet.  If you have a light weight car it's not fun (tintops seem OK).  Places like Llandow seem to have plenty of grip in the wet and the airfields are OK too with the added bonus it you go off there's nothing to hit.

Krazyken

I am already onto MSE for a joint BKCC & BPMC track day at Keevil.  Once I have the track day calenders from all the companies I will put an itinery together in Feb.  Please be patient I will publish the info as soon as I can.

It will be far better to go as a group where we can all help and support each other of differing abilities/experience and I can also negotiate a discount based on numbers.

stupott901

Oh that's good news about keevil I thought they weren't going to have any dates for keevil

I will have a go at coombe but would like to have a  couple of more days at keevil first to get my experience up

That be really good if we can get a club day at keevil

Krazyken

A Keevil date will be added to the calendar, shame about Colerne but that's life.  For the moment members can put in their diaries the BPMC Combe event and the 2 Llandow dates.  I will reveal the rest of the 2011 calendar as soon as I can.

Daley Down Under

Ken,

Good stuff - I'm on the email list for MSE so will post when the Keevil dates are up

paintman

I thought I read "on the short list for an MBE!!"   Had to do a double take. Lol ;D ;D

tickious

I'm up for this, be my 1st time out in my 205 but looks like it'll be a well organised day, rather than a load of nutters all out at once. Anyone else doing it?

paintman

Will definitely come but as a spectator and get the Hood exhaust decibel reading checked out while i'm there. ;)

'The Gaffer'

I have been sent the form, just need to fill it out, This should be a good one.

Come on Tony, get out there :)

Krazyken

This event is now sold out however it would make a good social day out for the club with plenty of cars to admire in the paddock and a display of Bristol Hot Rods around the circuit during the lunchtime break, for further details click on

http://www.castlecombetrackday.org.uk/

A few BKCC members have booked so you may be able to have a ride out with them or others on the day.  I understand from Hairy Santa that the cooked breakfasts are good if a little pricey being a circuit.

If you were thinking of doing this it is now too late, I always say that if you want to go to any event book as soon as you see it and let the credit card take the strain.  It's the only way to guarantee a place.

knuckle head

Any more news on combe this weekend who's all going, any convoys going up, what time is everyone going up??????? questions questions questions    ;D ;D ;D

Grin-a-lot

If I work really hard and get the car ready by Saturday morning, I will pop down and say hello.

'The Gaffer'

stupott901

I think I will pop over as well as long as the weather isnt to bad and watch people enjoying thierselves wishing i was on track, well got nothing else to do the wife is away the weekend so why not

probablyleon

I've had my eye on this day for over six months and (optimistically) thought my Fury would be ready for it... alas, I'm still at least a month away. I'll be there as a spectator. Hopefully it wont feel too much like torture not being out on track. I'll try to work out who the BKKC people are and say hi. Alternatively, if a bloke in his 40s with long hair walks past you looking oblivious, shout something abusive at him (best not be too abusive though in case its not me)  ;D

Krazyken

For thos attending in their cars as spectators it will be a good opportunity to get your car noise tested by the Castle Combe staff.  Please be aware that for some reason CC's noise meter seems to read 1 decibel higher than anyone elses so if you are below 100dB here you will be fine anywhere else.

I will be there between 9-10 for a noise test as I have head the head ported and a new free flowing exhaust manifold over the winter.

paintman

I'm coming to see how it's done! :P :

Tony

robp

Looks like the weather is dry tomorrow, thankfully  :) ; Combe is a pain in the wet.

I'm not on track this time but I will be there to have a look around at the cars and the action and have a chat.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: probablyleon on 31, March, 2011, 05:05:52 PM
Alternatively, if a bloke in his 40s with long hair walks past you looking oblivious, shout something abusive at him (best not be too abusive though in case its not me)  ;D

:)) I'll keep my eye out for you.

knuckle head

Robp what time you going down keen to meet up in downend and convoy down???

stupott901

Is it best to use the competitors entrance for spectacting and will every one be by the paddocks?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: stupott901 on 01, April, 2011, 08:54:08 PM
Is it best to use the competitors entrance for spectacting and will every one be by the paddocks?

Yes, thats where everyone will be. I'm aiming to either be there really early or late morning.

stupott901

ok thanks phil i was planning late morning dont do early mornings

paintman

Reckon i will meet up with Stu at about 10.30ish ...... should be there by 11.30 a.m. i guess at the paddock.  CU ;)

paintman

Here's some pics. of Robp and David H in action at Quarry Corner......correction hoobahole :-[ :-[ (sorry Roger.....these orange cars all look the same.  lol)

Dave never did get past......nothing in it...... ;)

Tony

hoobahole

Ouch - I don't remember driving being so physical. I ache this morning and am knackered!

Tony, that was actually me as opposed to RobP, but our cars are essentially the same so an easy mistake to make.

Rob wasn't driving at all which was a shame.

Dave has some photos of us on a disc which I'm sure he'll post, but unfortunately none taken during our little ding-dong  :D

Roger

David H

I'm feeling pretty rinsed too. Cracking day. It was a pleasure to thrash round the track with Rog in his Westy, both of us have been fiddling with Geo and both of us liked how our cars felt. They seemed to do the business all day.

We also went out for a little blast in my Dad's MG V8. Rog and myself thought we may just have a little cruise around, possibly drink a little Pimms....... until we hit quarry only to find we were actually inside a 1968 Rocketship. The car was great. Hilarious, I think especially as neither of us were expecting the drive to be so much fun. All the work done on it has definitely been worth while.