Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Castle Combe Action Days

Started by robp, 06, January, 2011, 04:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

robp

Anyone fancy going to one or more of the Combe 'Action Days' this year?  There are 3 dates (4 if you have a Mini).

Saturday, April 09, 2011
Saturday, June 11, 2011
Saturday, September 10, 2011

For those who haven't been before it's a cheap way to get some track time at a big circuit.  You can buy track passes which give you 15 minutes on the circuit at a time.  Good for those who don't want to commit to a full day.  Sometimes can become quite busy on the circuit at times.

No doubt we could get a discount for a block booking and get out the circuit together in the same session if we wished.

Krazyken

As you all know I am a track day junkie but in my opinion these track days are a disaster waiting to happen.  Any idiot can go on track as long as their car passes the noise test and they allow 34 cars on track in each session.  I have been to some of these in the past, seen a number of cars badly damaged and I believe it is only a matter of time before someone gets killed.

For the same cost i.e. £30 a session you can do the BPMC CC track day on 2nd August with only 6 cars on track per session and much better controlled.  The Action Day events will not be appearing on the BKCC track day calender.

Sorry to put a dampner on this but some things are just not worth doing and these Action Days fall into that catagory.

Krazyken

Deliberate mistake, should be 2nd April above not 2nd August.

robp

Yes, have to agree it's sometimes like World War 3 out there!  ???

Grin-a-lot

I was half interested until went on the Castle Combe website and clicked on "Spring Performance Car Action Day".  The picture it shows is a car on track with its rear bumper hanging off; hardly inspiring!

'The Gaffer'

I dont mind going out there with you guys, but I'm not so sure about the Saxo brigade trying to impress their girlfriends.

Big exhuast tailpipes generally mean something small elsewhere :D

Grin-a-lot

David H

More people to overtake though as most of our cars will leave em standing still

robp

It's busy out on the circuit and you need to keep focused on what's around you.  Dave is right, our motors are quicker than most out there so you're soon passed everyone.

The thing I like about the day is if the weather is awful you've only lost £16 (group ticket) rather than £129-£200.  If the weather is good you can purchase extra track passes on the day.  There's always loads of interesting cars around and the drift sessions are great fun. 

paintman

I've been around Combe in torrential none stop rain.....very interesting at Quarry, you get to look at the tail of the car an awful lot.....through the side window!!! :P

Krazyken

Yes Combe in the wet is indeed treachorous in our light cars.  I discussed this once with a Formula Renault driver and he confirmed that some circuits (thankfully very few) seem to offer very little grip in the wet Combe being one of them.

So a combination of 34 cars on the track, lots of idiots and a car likely to swap ends in the wet is not my idea of fun whatever the price.

xr2 stu

it is always a good day whan we go there you could book a club stand for the day so you end up
parked by the track and not out in the field lol

Krazyken

I WILL NOT be booking a club stand for the reasons I have already explained. 

If members wish to make their own arrangements and take their chances on track then that is a personal decision.

David H

This is one of my experiences of a Castle Combe action day.

Last year I went to one of the Action days at the last minute. The weather was supposed to be bad but the sun turned out to be shining, so I went just to go and see a load of wacky cars and possibly get a session on the track. I thought I might bump into a few friends....

There was hardly anyone there. The tickets for the track were going nearly half price.

In the afternoon, a few people from the club turned up in some Westfields including a new member. This guy had just spent 2 years building his blue Westfield and was very proud of it. Rightly so.

He had come to the action day to mingle and have some fun. He was a little frightened to take his new car out on the track as it looked a little daunting out there. He therefore asked me if I would take him out on the track so he could experience it and I of course obliged.

We had a fanatastic afternoon, I had loads of sessions, no accidents and he got the 'opportunity' to experience the adventure. We had a lot of fun and he went away with a smile on his face. He told me he had really understood what owning and driving such a car could be like that afternoon.

I had intended to stay for a couple of hours but stayed all day, got a tan and used loads of 102 Ron fuel that the Aston Martin race car couldn't because it had broken down. Brilliant.

Motorsport is dangerous. We all know that. BUT not everyone's experience of an Action Day at Combe is negative. When we go out on track, we take the car and our life in our hands... we have to be careful.... Yes, more idiots 'can' go to an event like this BUT it is also an 'opportunity' to have a couple of laps round the track to get a feel, for a cheap price... and you may not have to go out with all the nutters... they may not even be there.

It may even be a good 'day out'

Dave

peetee

Well said Dave. We all know that there is probably a higher chance of getting a few 'idiots' or less experienced drivers at these days, but I can remember taking my original Robin Hood S7 to an action day 15 odd years ago and also having a great day out. Guess it all depends on the actual day and who turns up with what? Pete

Krazyken

Dave

Thanks for the feedback, clearly you had a most enjoyable time due to the circumstances on the day.  I am sure that you will agree that there are times when the "Action Days" are more like the times that I and others have experienced and described.

When arranging Track Days for the club we have to take into account that members vary in their track driving abilities and that our events should cater for all abilities, be well managed and minimise any risks.  If as a club if we encourage members to put their cars on track and it is as myself and others have described e.g. WW3 we would be doing members a disservice.

For experienced track day participants like yourself, you are aware of what it can be like and are prepared to accept the risk.  For other members who have spent many £Thousands and hours on their cars who fancy a track experience an Action Day would be the worst place to start.  By comparison a well organised track day through an experienced track day company where on track discipline is enforced and numbers are limited will be a far better experience for all.  All forms of Motorsport carry a risk however it is important to minimise that risk so that everyone goes away happy.

I have no objection if members wish to attend any CC Action Day I am just not prepared to put the clubs name to it because of the risks involved.  I hope that this clarifies matters and the clubs position.

Many of us are keen to get back on track in 2011 incl. those who have not experienced the enjoyment before and I would ask all members to be patient as we have to wait until the track day companies publish their calendars for 2011 

David H

Ken, dont take this the wrong way as your efforts are GREATLY appreciated, especially by me but we must be clear that we are able to offer our 'opinions' on subjects on this forum but we cannot tell people what to do. If we do, I fear we may push them away.

I quote from your last post 'For other members who have spent many £Thousands and hours on their cars who fancy a track experience an Action Day would be the worst place to start.'

I'm not saying I disagree but I hope its only because your busy and probably busy organising us some fun things to do that you forgot to mention 'in my opinion' before you made that statement. You are in a position of responsibility and people will listen to what you say, especially anyone new to this. Someone MAY miss out reading a statement like that.

I dont want to get into a long drawn out arguement over this... we're all adults here and we all have opinions, my message is NOT a personal dig at anyone or you Ken, its for everyone to read. I just feel we MUST protect what we have here as its a friendly, light hearted club that I like very much. Could we try not to turn this into a club like a couple of others I have been a member of in the past.

My last mention on the subject.

xr2 stu

Quote from: Krazyken on 09, January, 2011, 03:32:46 PM
I WILL NOT be booking a club stand for the reasons I have already explained. 

If members wish to make their own arrangements and take their chances on track then that is a personal decision.
you dont need to take your car on track if you got a club stand i know i've had my st on a stand at  Action Days befor and it has never been on the track am not getting funny just was think it would be a good day out for all the club and not just the one's that want to go on track

paintman

I must admit I wouldn't mind going ....... whether I decided to play with them would be decided on the day...... or I would just sit and watch the idiots smash up their cars!!

Could be an interesting day out either way. ::)

'The Gaffer'

This is a 'Free Speech' forum where everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions without recourse. My opinion? Well, I probably would do an action day, especially if enough of us were interested I would go along hoping we could book cost effective sessions with more BKCC members than nutcases to make it even more fun.

As mentioned in a previous post I'm not sure I would like to share the track with the Saxo brigade but not having done an action day before but now knowing I could see them in the rear view mirror without too much hassle could be fun also.

Equally, as Ken has pointed out there are dangers we all must be aware of, and the risk we put ourselves, and our cars through is our own choice.

But, as robp outlined in his opening post "No doubt we could get a discount for a block booking and get out the circuit together in the same session if we wished".

Conclusion? If we can get the numbers up and costs down for a block booking... Sounds good to me :)

Krazyken

Please accept my apologies for my forthright opinions on this topic.  Unfortunately I can at times be quite outspoken which can be useful when negotiating discounts with suppliers or making decisions when organising things but can also at times be lacking in diplomacy.

I agree that the forum should be one of free speech and of a friendly nature so that we are all happy to be part of the club.  If my tone has fallen short of this then this was not my intention and I apologise for any offence I may have caused.

With regards to the CC Action Days, Phil & I agree that this falls more into the catagory of a social event rather than a track day so will leave the organisation of this to the social side.

Best regards

Ken

xr2 stu

dont worroy about it thing's like this is what make's a  good site good i've been on site's were this would of got out of hand but not on here the more i come on here the more am getting to like it  as for  CC Action Days it would be a good social day out for the club
cause it's a nice drive to get up there and whan the sun's out it's a good to have a walk round and see what's about and if peep's want to go out than they can

Mark G

I took my Indy round combe last year for the spring action day.  I agree with some of the comments above, there are a few boy racers who can't drive for toffee but as long as you give room to the car in front and don't overtake too close into a corner you should be ok.

Every driver attends a briefing so you all know to pass on the right.  There are cones for braking points and turning points.  No overtaking on corners.

As expected, my car was a fair bit faster than most other cars so I just made sure to stay out of their way and take it easy.

I'd recommend a combe track session to anyone, Yes people crash but thats motorsport.  After all Michael Schumacher and Lewis Hamilton crash sometimes don't they?

Mark G

Quote from: Grin-a-lot on 07, January, 2011, 12:50:02 PM
I was half interested until went on the Castle Combe website and clicked on "Spring Performance Car Action Day".  The picture it shows is a car on track with its rear bumper hanging off; hardly inspiring!

That's one of the drift cars, the photo was taken during a drift display session.  Not a public session.

chanz

hi all i take my car to the action days every year and love it

regarding the club stand you can book your track time as a club so you will all be out together that way no slower cars its great for the club and a good day

foggy

I would love to take my car around the track,I have never done it,would'nt  matter to me ,how long I took to get around,or how fast my car goes, just would like the experience.So if there was a club booking.ie just the club cars, I would probably be up for it.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: foggy on 12, January, 2011, 08:12:19 PM
I would love to take my car around the track,I have never done it,would'nt  matter to me ,how long I took to get around,or how fast my car goes, just would like the experience.So if there was a club booking.ie just the club cars, I would probably be up for it.

Put your name down for the Llandow track days, they are a great way to get the feeling of a track day. There is also a Castle Combe track day you might want to consider as it will be pretty quiet out there.

See both links below.

Llandow http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=1188.0

Castle Combe http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=1180.0

hoobahole

My first ever track day was at an Action Day at Combe in my MR2 in 2001.

I thought I was queuing to get to the club stand, but it turns out I was queuing for the track and promptly lapped in my tool and jack laden car. Good times  ;D

'Mendip Wurzel'

Well after reading the above postings I quite fancy the sound of the Action Day just for the entertainment value. I probably would not have gone if it wasn't for this debate. I don't think I could put my car on the track as it is too noisy but on a nice sunny day I would be quite happy to sit there and watch the action. 

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: 'Mendip Wursel' on 18, February, 2011, 10:03:52 AM
Well after reading the above postings I quite fancy the sound of the Action Day just for the entertainment value. I probably would not have gone if it wasn't for this debate. I don't think I could put my car on the track as it is too noisy but on a nice sunny day I would be quite happy to sit there and watch the action.

Being a complete novice with track days, how do they know if your car is too noisy. Do they test it on the day...

Grin-a-lot

I've only done Castle Combe but before you can get your car noise tested during any trackday, whether you are participating or not.  Just pop along to the sound testing people and ask them to do it.

paintman

When we get a list going I think there will be quite a few of us going......participating and watching.

A club stand would be great and a good advert for the Club. ;)

Tony

robp

How many people are interested in going to this Action Day?  If we apply for tickets in advance then it's 21 pounds each for entry to the event and a go on the track.  I'm up for it.

paintman

Put me down for Sat. April 9th! ........I've never bin around Combe in the dry!!!

I'm sure we could all go out as a group if we get enough, that would make it safer for everyone. ;)

David H

peetee

I'd be up for a day at Combe if the weather was nice.........

foggy

Put me down as a spectator,it will be very interesting to see what   happens out there.

paintman

Is anyone still interested in The Action Day on Sat. 9th April (next weekend)......thought it would be good to get a club stand in the car park. ;)

Tony

foggy

I would still like to go as a spectator as long as the weather holds out

paintman

I take it no one's going except me and Foggy then.....I thought there was a lot of interest obviously I was wrong. ::)