Started by Krazyken, 17, January, 2011, 07:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

'The Gaffer'

Westiebusa

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Westiebusa on 18, February, 2011, 08:02:03 PM
[Will it be Norfolk & Chance  for me??  ;D

If I get no response from Miles you have the place. Its fair to give him a week or so though.

There will always be another karting event, we seem to like those :)

Westiebusa

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 18, February, 2011, 09:25:02 PM
Quote from: Westiebusa on 18, February, 2011, 08:02:03 PM
[Will it be Norfolk & Chance  for me??  ;D

If I get no response from Miles you have the place. Its fair to give him a week or so though.

There will always be another karting event, we seem to like those :)
No probs, first come first served etc!  Just a bit keen as not long b4 my race season starts then i'm limited to what i can fit in ;D

Krazyken

Just heard back from the WSCC who are organising the event.  Our 2 teams are confirmed with Westiebusa ready to take the place of Miles if necessary. 

If it can be organised there is space for one last team of individuals on the grid, this will be a collection of reserves from all the teams so you do not know who will be in your team until you get there on the day.  So you could end up with the next Lewis Hamilton or the next Eddie the Eagle (remember him) in your team.  Anyone interested please post and put your name down as we need to co-ordinate this across all the organisers.  Please only put your name down if you definitely intend on driving if there is a place available.

tickious

'The Gaffer'

I think most people will be making there own way there unless any sharing plans have been made.

Just to confirm the final list..

1. The Gaffer - PAID CHQ
2. Peetee - PAID PAYPAL
3. James Veakins - PAID PAYPAL
4. Westiebusa - PAID PAYPAL
5. Mattsmev - PAID PAYPAL

Suffolk & Close
1. Kelvin - PAID PAYPAL
2. tickious - PAID PAYPAL
3. Krazyken - PAID PAYPAL
4. Joe R - PAID PAYPAL
5. Egis - PAID PAYPAL

As Ken mentioned in his earlier mail, lunch has been laid on for us in the form of a buffet.

As no one has opted out, I have paid upfront for the meals for everyone. So please bring £4.50 each to pay me back :)

Look forward to seeing you all there.

The Gaffer.

mattsmev

Thats a good idea tickious, I'm from Corsham so thats my local junction too, I'll keep an eye out for kits.  If the weather is good I will probably bring mine

Here is my other question, what shall I wear?  The obvious thing to wear is my race suit that I wear for track days, it is perfect for the job, but I know that karts are an entirely different beast to cars.   While I can do a passable job of stringing a decent lap together at a track day I am worried that my lack of experience in karts together with a bling orange race suit will relegate me to "all the gear - no idea".  Oh well - perhaps I'll put my dark visor on and keep it shut for the whole event, the Stig style anonymity may preserve my dignity.

See you all on Sat.

cheers

mattsmev

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: mattsmev on 02, March, 2011, 04:51:57 PM
"all the gear - no idea".  Oh well - perhaps I'll put my dark visor on and keep it shut for the whole event

:))  :)) That is so funny.

Racing suits are normally supplied at these events, along with helmets and gloves.

Personally I'm bringing my own helmet and gloves.

peetee

If the weather's good, I'll be bringing the kit, but going via Westbury/Devizes - Great roads!  8)

Westiebusa

Quote from: mattsmev on 02, March, 2011, 04:51:57 PM
Thats a good idea tickious, I'm from Corsham so thats my local junction too, I'll keep an eye out for kits.  If the weather is good I will probably bring mine

Here is my other question, what shall I wear?  The obvious thing to wear is my race suit that I wear for track days, it is perfect for the job, but I know that karts are an entirely different beast to cars.   While I can do a passable job of stringing a decent lap together at a track day I am worried that my lack of experience in karts together with a bling orange race suit will relegate me to "all the gear - no idea".  Oh well - perhaps I'll put my dark visor on and keep it shut for the whole event, the Stig style anonymity may preserve my dignity.

See you all on Sat.

cheers

mattsmev

LOL;D Don't worry u won't be alone i'll be wearing my Race kit & its at least 15years since i drove a kart, always seemed to get a suit that was made for someone twice my size!!

Adrian

tickious

Quote from: peetee on 02, March, 2011, 07:03:43 PM
If the weather's good, I'll be bringing the kit, but going via Westbury/Devizes - Great roads!  8)

Fancy meeting at Halfords in Trowbridge about 8.45ish? Then a few of us can have a more interesting drive via Devizes. And maybe pop in to Keevil on the way back  :P

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Swindon-UKXX0147

peetee

Sounds good to me. Lets finalise things on Friday all being well. Cheers, Pete

tickious

Quote from: Krazyken on 27, February, 2011, 10:23:23 AM
Just heard back from the WSCC who are organising the event.  Our 2 teams are confirmed with Westiebusa ready to take the place of Miles if necessary. 

If it can be organised there is space for one last team of individuals on the grid, this will be a collection of reserves from all the teams so you do not know who will be in your team until you get there on the day.  So you could end up with the next Lewis Hamilton or the next Eddie the Eagle (remember him) in your team.  Anyone interested please post and put your name down as we need to co-ordinate this across all the organisers.  Please only put your name down if you definitely intend on driving if there is a place available.
Any of these places left? ???

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: tickious on 03, March, 2011, 01:18:47 PM

As it happens, David H has just dropped out, do you want the space?

There may be more but we would need to check with organisers.

tickious

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 03, March, 2011, 01:23:31 PM
Quote from: tickious on 03, March, 2011, 01:18:47 PM

As it happens, David H has just dropped out, do you want the space?

There may be more but we would need to check with organisers.
Yes please, James Veakins, another VX mate :)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: tickious on 03, March, 2011, 02:51:55 PM
Yes please, James Veakins, another VX mate :)

James Veakins is in. Can you organise a paypal payment asap as I have to refund Dave H as his space is now filled :).

tickious

'The Gaffer'

Thanks Tickious :)

Just to confirm the final list..

1. The Gaffer - PAID CHQ
2. Peetee - PAID PAYPAL

Suffolk & Close
1. Kelvin - PAID PAYPAL
4. Joe R - PAID PAYPAL
5. Egis - PAID PAYPAL

As Ken mentioned in his earlier mail, lunch has been laid on for us in the form of a buffet.

As no one has opted out, I have paid upfront for the meals for everyone. So please bring £4.50 each to pay me back

Look forward to seeing you all there.

The Gaffer.

tickious

Nothing personal Ken, but would you mind swapping with James as he only knows me and Kelvin. I'll even get your buffet for you as a sweetener   ;)

'The Gaffer'

Ok,

As Westiebusa is a latecomer and Ken is with his son, and as Egis is one of your guys too, this what I propose.

It makes no difference really as we can hang around as one group anyway.

Norfolk & Chance
1. The Gaffer - PAID CHQ
2. Peetee - PAID PAYPAL
4. Joe R - PAID PAYPAL

Suffolk & Close
1. Kelvin - PAID PAYPAL
5. Egis - PAID PAYPAL

tickious

'The Gaffer'

Krazyken

Suffolk & Close loss is Norfolk & Chance gain.  Watch out for Joe Type R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Krazyken on 03, March, 2011, 09:16:49 PM
Suffolk & Close loss is Norfolk & Chance gain.  Watch out for Joe Type R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fightin' talk already Ken ;D

Westiebusa

4 Mates & me! ok!!!!!! :D

Westiebusa

Quote from: Krazyken on 03, March, 2011, 09:16:49 PM

Ok Ken i'll give him a wide birth as i go by!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Westiebusa on 03, March, 2011, 09:57:53 PM
Thats not fair they will all be holding hands now & i'll be the odd one out!!! ;D ;D

Sorry about that Adrian, nothing personal :P ;)

The only time you will be on your own is out on the track. We are a pretty sociable bunch.

Westiebusa

Just having the crack gaffer!! ;D All good, looking forward to meeting everyone ;)

tickious

Quote from: peetee on 02, March, 2011, 10:27:36 PM

I'll have to see you there I'm afraid. Went for a test run last night and my poor little car isn't sounding well :'(

Don't be silly, You're just a new bezzi mate I've not met yet.
(and I want a passenger ride in your Busa beasty) ;D

peetee

Quote from: tickious on 04, March, 2011, 08:06:29 AM

I'll have to see you there I'm afraid. Went for a test run last night and my poor little car isn't sounding well :'(

OK, no worries. Sorry to hear it's not well....... see you there then

Westiebusa

Quote from: tickious on 04, March, 2011, 08:06:29 AM

Don't be silly, You're just a new bezzi mate I've not met yet.
(and I want a passenger ride in your Busa beasty) ;D
;D ;D No probs on a ride, just need to get an exhaust sorted! Then it'll be on the road :D ;D

tickious

Krazyken

A great way to spend a Saturday morning and both BKCC teams walked away with an award!!!

Norfolk & Chance finished on the podium in 3rd place and Suffolk & Close won the wooden spoon in 10th.  Below is the write up from the Norfolk & Chance perspective so that you can get a flavour of the event.

I took the role of team captain having managed a number of these events and driven in a few as well.  First a trade secret for you when you have a team endurance event, you put your best drivers out in the first and last stints and instruct your other drivers to concentrate on consistent pace and not to get involved in an squabbles on track and under no circumstances pick up penalties.  All of the other teams will have their moments of indiscretion so by staying clear of these, places can be made up over the course of the 2 hour event.

Qualifying was unusual in that we had to nominate our qualifying driver at the outset but that driver was not permitted to take part in any of the practice laps.   As we lined up for our 4 practice laps I went first so that I could pass on any information to Joe Type R our nominated qualifier.  As we had had an overnight frost the track was very cold & slippery so as I came off I told Joe to take a late apex when qualifying to avoid sliding going in and carry as much speed as possible coming out of the corner.  Joe had never seen the track before let alone driven it but despite that he still managed to put us 3rd on the grid for the start of the race - result!

First Stint - Joe Type R

Due to his light weight Joe made a blistering start and was up to 2nd at the first corner.  There was then a bit of argy bargy between the first 3 for the first few laps while they pulled clear of the rest of the field.  It then became a tustle for the lead between Joe and Team 2 who were also playing their ace card with an experienced Japanese karter who had driven the circuit a number of times before.  The lead swapped between them a few times before the track knowledge of Team 2s driver paid dividends and he began to pull clear.  After the tyres starting to warm up Joe was consistently putting in 29 second laps with a best of 29.147.  Team 2 pitted earlier than us so Joe handed over to The Gaffer in the lead on lap 67.  A great start by Joe it was now up to the rest of us to try and hold the start that Joe had established for us

Second Stint - The Gaffer

A heroic effort by The Gaffer who was suffering from a dodgy stomach and had been up most of the night having only had only 3 hours sleep.  Phil had already asked us to cut his stint down to 20 mins with the option of coming in earlier if he felt the need.  It is fair to say that Joe had a weight and experience advantage over the Gaffer so we were not expecting him to match Joes lap times.  Even so and considering his delicate composition he drove consistently with 32 second lap times and put in a best lap of 31.526 on lap 67 just 4 laps into his stint.  After 15 mins Phil had had enough and signalled to the pits that he needed to be replaced and handed over to Peetee on lap 90.

Third Stint - Peetee

A very consistent run by Pete who after 10 laps found his rhythm and was consistently lapping in a 29 second lap time to give us the consistency we needed in the middle part of the race.  Pete even found it within himself to break Joes lap record for the team now that the track had warmed up and put in a best lap of 28.942 on lap 130.  I think we will have to call him Mr Consistent from now on and he came off the track buzzing about what a great time he was having.  On lap 143 Pete handed over to Matts MEV for the penultimate stint.

Fourth Stint - Matts MEV

When Matt took over we were in a comfortable 3rd place with the chance of getting back up to second if things went well and after a few laps to get the hang of the circuit with the better grip levels Matt was consistently lapping in the 30's or 31's reeling off the laps to put pressure on the Team in 2nd place.  All was going well until the end of the stint and Matt got involved with another driver and took on a healthy dose of "red mist" and was disqualified!  As luck would have it this coincided with his change over to me so apart from the obligitory time penalty not too much damage done.  So on lap 185 Matt came into the pits to take his penalty and hand over to me for the final stint.

Fifth Stint - Krazyken

Now at this point I was unaware of Matts penalty and knew that we were in a solid 3rd place with an outside chance of taking second.  Joe had briefed me between our stints as to where he found the most grip and the best lines to take so I was determined to put in fast consistent laps and not make any silly mistakes that pick up penalties.  After 1 lap I was in the low 29 second lap time and lapped at that speed consistently for the entire stint.  In fact as I look back on the lap times now I am amazed at how consistent my lap times were with a few laps in the 28s.  About 5 laps in I tried to overtake a kart down the inside but was not quite down the inside and span him round.  To avoid a penalty I gave the advantage straight back so that we were as we were and thankfully went unpunished.  I must add that the marshalling at this event was spot on unlike the carnage at Hullavington.  As I was driving round I was regularly getting the thumbs up from  my team mates so assumed that all was going well.  Towards the end of my stint Phil help up 2 fingers which I took to mean that we were now up to 2nd.  Suddently we had a better position to defend so I started trying harder and put in my best lap of 28.875 on lap 214 to set out Teams best lap of the day.  A few laps later the chequered flag fell and I punched the air with delight believeing we had nicked 2nd place.  As I promptly discovered Phils 2 fingers meant 2 minutes to go.  Although we had made good progeess on the team in 2nd we were still 14 seconds behind and our lap times were remarkably similar so unless they ran into trouble we had a safe 3rd.

So the first BKCC event of the year ended with a trophy and a place on the podium.  I will take a picture of our trophy so that it can be posted into a newly formed Virtual Trophy Cabinet on the website.  As for our sister team Suffolk & Close, our sincere commiserations (lol) although I did have a wry smile as I reminded Westiebusa of his post about Joe Type R above and even offered to pay for his karting if he could make it happen.  Needless to say my money is still safely in my pocket.

So 1 event down and many more to come in 2011 just hope it warms up a bit.

'The Gaffer'

Nice write up Ken, Good to see you all at the one of the clubs first events.

I was very thankful to get home though, the place was soooooo cold, and having food poisoning didn't help much either.

Actually I quite liked a bit of carnage at Hullavington ;D

mattsmev

Excellent event, many thanks for all who put the effort in for organising it. 

Standing around in a cold hanger does not sound like fun but spending 25 mins blasting round a kart track as fast as I could go soon warmed me up (even if my lap times were not as fast as the others in my team).  I am still not quite sure what I did to get the black flag, but overall I don't think any harm was done.

It was great fun

Cheers

Mattsmev 

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: mattsmev on 05, March, 2011, 05:16:08 PM
I am still not quite sure what I did to get the black flag, but overall I don't think any harm was done.

The Marshall was blind mate, that wasn't your fault. The other guy hit you.

Krazyken

Phil's Right

It was probably the the marshall who nicked the parking space you were trying to reverse into when you got there.  He must had it in for you from the start!

peetee

Great write up Ken, thanks to everyone who helped organise a fantastic event, enjoyed it loads! Podium finish helped too. Nice to meet a few more of the club members as well, and Matt, not another word about your black flag....... I topped off a great day with a visit to Keevil on the way home with Mattsmev (good roads eh Matt?) where we met up with Dave H, Rog and Stupot who were having fun out on the track! Dave - hope you managed to get home without anything else breaking on your westie?  I tried to get a run out on track but they were full and I couldn't. Gutted, as I really fancied it when I got there. :'(

David H

The starter motor cooled by the time I got home and started working again. The gear lever flopping around was a couple of loose bolts Thankfully. I guess clicking through the gears a thousand times in a few hours loosened it. Today was an excellent shakedown and I had fun.
The car ran very well so pleased. Used two tanks of fuel on full chat and it never missed a beat.

Shame about all the bloody stones!!