News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

helmet recommendations

Started by dikkie, 25, January, 2011, 01:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dikkie

Hi all

I'm looking for my first track day helmet, any suggestions where to look and what to look out for?

Google did a great job of confusing me with all the different MSA/Snell/DOT ratings and if they are acutally required! All I know is I want a full face one so that I can use it on the rare occasion I go on the motorway with the car and that I don't want to break the bank!

What do you guys use?

'The Gaffer'

There was a short thread here some time back about helmets, and since then mine has never been checked on the few track days I've done.

Link http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=616.0

Most important thing is that is comfortable. And through many years of biking I have learnt you get what you pay for, so be prepared to spend a few bob.

Grin-a-lot

I went to Fowlers in Bristol as they have a big range (as far as I could see anyway).

I went for a ACU approved one which falls short of Race requirements but seems to meet a number of trackday standards (and I wont be doing many track days anyway).

There was lots of advice about spending as much as you can (only one head so protect it), making sure its comfortable etc etc.  I wouldn't want to offer my advice on what I bought as i'm new to this so any advice might not be reliable.  I'm sure one of the more experienced track-dayers will pop along and advise though.

The only thing i'll say though is that the internal sizes definitely vary more than it looks so make sure you try before you buy!

Daley Down Under

Motorsport Events do an excellent range of top quality Headtec helmets at not top quality prices (£130 ish from memory).  They're doing a 10% discount for Bristol Pegasus Motor Club members.

Adrian

paintman

I ended up buying mine from a local bike shop......tried on loads then looked at the price after.

Comfort being the priority with safety I haggled and got a good deal for around £100.

I was tempted to buy on line 'cause of the cost difference but it is true that they vary considerably yet are marked the same size! :o

I was told that as long as it was ACU approved it was ok....a lot on the net aren't! ::)

Krazyken

I can clarify here, if you just want a helmet for track days and nothing else then a bike helmet is perfectly adequate and will give the best value.  Just make sure it has the Gold ACU sticker on it, I paid £50 for mine with built in sunglasses.

If you are going to do any form of competitive event such as a Sprint, Hillclimb or Track Endurance event then you will need a Snell approved helmet.  The best place to buy one of these is through Motorsport Events as Adrain has already mentioned.  With regards to the 10% discount through BPMC, I negotiated this deal originally which ran for 2010 but has now expired.  If you want to go down this route PM me and I will have a word.

RMW50

I do not profess to be an expert, but I bought my helmets from Ghost Bikes, see the link below (I wanted three, one for me, my youngest daughter and a spare for any other adult passenger).

At the time they seemed to be the cheapest for helmets with ACU gold approved stickers on them. The ones I bought had integral sun visors and seem fine for what I needed.

Also check out their ebay site, from memory some were a bit cheaper on there.

Dont get too excited about the really cheap ones, they all seem to have extra small only, but the others seem good value.

The following discount codes may be of use:
for 5% off when spending £50 GB510
for 7.5% off when spending £100 GB7510
for 10% off when spending £100 GB1010

http://www.ghostbikes.com/categorylist/Helmets-Full-Face-Helmets/?page=1&SearchSortBy=PLH&searchPrice=

I hope that this helps,

Rich

dikkie

thanks for the advice guys, wasn't aware of the ACU sticker so has helped!

Will plod through the links today...