News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

rFactor

Started by probablyleon, 03, April, 2011, 09:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

probablyleon

Has anyone on here come across rFactor? I'm not a gamer, and haven't been since I was about 15 (a while ago now). However, a friend of mine who is, turned me on to rFactor. Fan-bloody-tastic! It's definitely more of a serious racing simulator than a game. More importantly though, for the likes of us, you can download many of the club circuits discussed on this very forum: Combe, Cadwell, Snetterton, Llandow etc etc. Anyone with the right computer skills can also 'model up' any circuit or car (some low volume race car manufacturers are even using it as a testing platform!) and they're all free to download.

All you need is a (fairly powerful) PC, a copy of rFactor (bought mine from Amazon for less than £20) and a decent wheel. I bought a Logitech 'Driving force GT' wheel and pedals from Argos for £70. 

I did a formula ford day at Castle Combe a couple of years back and have since spent a few hours on a 'virtual Castle Combe' in a Caterham, the track and car's physics are almost spot on, perfect for a bit of pre track day swatting up.

You can even join or set up leagues, and compete online. This is all taken ridiculously seriously with some of the more established ones. (How about a BKCC league?)

Apologies for the rant if this is old news to everyone else, but if not check it out.

<http://www.rfactorcentral.com/>

paintman

Just right for a wet weekend? ;)

'The Gaffer'

I'm not really a gamer, but rfactor looks pretty serious, here's the Combe circuit http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Castle%20Combe%202005

How about a BKCC Lan party at the next meet??

ooer - maybe not :o

paintman

G*d......there's some real oddball characters there to be sure......think i'll stick with Need For Speed and Gran Turismo!!

Denzle

But theres nothing quite like the real thing..........So my Mrs keeps telling me.... :P

Of course Im talking about the simulator...... ;D

probablyleon

It's true, there's nothing quite like the real thing, but rFactor does present an opportunity to accurately learn a track quite well before you actually get there (a locost version of what the F1 guys have been doing for years). It'll also helps out with pre track day / race meeting nerves (something, I'm pleased to discover through entries on this forum, I'm not alone in). Most worrying though is that I could quite easily end up looking like at least half of the people in the photo posted by the gaffer.

stupott901

looks good just dont think my computer is fast enough to cope with it as i well and truly need the practice

foggy

Might have a look at that, used to play a lot of games-when I learn to switch the  new lap top on!

Krazyken

Will it ever be as good as the real thing?  I mean do you get the smell of hot brakes and rubber, do you experience your internal organs being rearranged and does your wallet take a pounding that takes all year to recover from?

Hold on rFactor doesn't sound so bad after all.

Denzle

Quote from: Krazyken on 05, April, 2011, 08:10:49 PM
Will it ever be as good as the real thing?  I mean do you get the smell of hot brakes and rubber, do you experience your internal organs being rearranged and does your wallet take a pounding that takes all year to recover from?

Hold on rFactor doesn't sound so bad after all.

Hit the nail on the head there Ken..... ;)