News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

First Sprint Shake Down

Started by Westiebusa, 27, April, 2011, 10:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westiebusa

Hi All ;D
Just thought i'd let u all know how i got on in my first Sprint (Clay Pigeon) of the season with the new Busa power, well the upside was nothing fell off :D but  unfortunately the car suuffered with fuel starvation all day & no matter what i tried (even running 2 pumps!!)nothing cured it, the car would come out of a right hander fine & accelorate full power but coming out of left handers the car would hold back (& guess wat? there were 5 lefts & only 1 right!! :() and only gradually accelorate to about 8k the only way to improve it was to iether back right of the throttle & re-apply  or short shift, all fuel equipment was new including a foam filled tank-fuel lines-fuel pump-pump pre-filter etc etc !!! Well to cut a long story short i believed the problem lay with the new fuel tank, so after spending a very tidious 11/2hrs removing all the foam from the tank i discovered that the foam that surrounded the outlet feed was discoloured & appeared melted so restricting the flow of petrol from the tank :o I have now needless to say have NO foam in my tank and also modified the tank by fitting a larger outlet feed after which i road tested the car & all seems ok??? The real test will be this weekend as my Championship starts with a 2 day event @ Werrington Hill Climb, by the way  i wasn't totally diisapointed with the Clay Pigeon Sprint as i managed to come in 3rd & was only just pipped to second by a V8 5litre Westfield he did 79.8 & i managed a 80.3 so given my lack of power i think it went quite well for a first outing?
Ade

peetee

'The Gaffer'

Yes, well done that man. Guess you won't be making Stoneleigh but good luck with the event.

Westiebusa

Thanks lads ;D
Hope Stoneliegh goes well & the weather holds good for all of us!!

Krazyken

Ade

Look forward to seeing you out on track if you are doing that well at sprints.

tony.g

Well done Ade,
it's a shame i don't live nearer as i would come and support you.
Good Luck,I hope it goes better.
Tony

tickious

where do you find out about the sprints?

Krazyken

Sprints are run by an MSA affiliated club.  For local sprints try Bristol Pegasus Motor Club (BPMC).

RobC

tony.g

Well Ade how did the second one go?

Tony

Westiebusa

Hi Tony,
Was waiting to post outcome until i'd  found time to edit the in car footage!! It was a mixed result, the best news was that i experienced no fuel starvation probs ;D The car performed well, in practice i found the fronts locking up just felt like the wheels were skimming across the surface not biting, so i dropped tyre pressures to 13lb & backed shockers off 2 clicks & hey bingo what a diference tok me immediately from 45's to 43's, this was a real test of pace as the boys i am racing against have done this hill for many years, i've only done it once before with Crossflow power which i did win my class. To cut a long story short in practice i was of the opinion i was running the wrong diff ratio(3.54) as i was just hitting the rev limiter in 4th through the speed trap(89mph) located @ the end of the fastest part of the track, the rest of the pack were in the 100mph bracket, but through the technical bits (read twisty) i was 4mph quicker than anybody!! Also i'm running a near on bog standard 1300 busa not even got power commander plugged in as i haven't found time/monies to have it set up on rolling road yet & i'm up against Tuned 1340cc Busa's one has even got traction control- programed auto gear changing etc etc, he even has an F1 steering wheel as he works for Maclaren!! Any way excuses excuses i finished 4th but only 8/10's of the leader. I do believe if i'd had a the 3.77 diff in i would of been breathing hard down the leaders neck!!!
But i actually came away happy with the result as i know theres more to come from the car and especially once the driver learns how to drive it!! ;)
In Car to follow :)
By the way the Westfield reverse box is crap i even rebuilt it b4 the event replacing all 7 bearings & it still unsettles the car, i believe by throwing it away is worth at least a second and more importantly more driveable/confidence!! I've ordered a straight through prop from Bailey - ordered a spur gear and purchased a vw starter so electric reverse here i come, as for the Westfield box & props Flebay here they come!! ;D ;)