Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Track day at Abingdon 27.04.12 - With pics

Started by 'The Gaffer', 12, April, 2012, 12:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

'The Gaffer'

I fancy a go at the Abingdon Airfield circuit on the 27.04.12 organised by Motorsports Events. Looks like a great track with tons of run off. Anyone else want to go?

fullpint

Would love to but even tho its 105db thats still to low for me  :(
I just can't find the time to look into getting it sorted..

Richardp

Sounds like a good place to start, assuming I have a car by then.

Would this be a good place to get to grips, both with the car, and track driving?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: fullpint on 12, April, 2012, 07:19:45 PM
Would love to but even tho its 105db thats still to low for me  :(
I just can't find the time to look into getting it sorted..

Stuff a few socks up the can ;D
Quote from: Richardp on 12, April, 2012, 10:58:38 PM
Sounds like a good place to start, assuming I have a car by then.

Would this be a good place to get to grips, both with the car, and track driving?

To be honest I have never done an airfield day but have always been told they are great learning curve for you and your car. I sort of did it backwards doing tracks first but looking forward to this.

Richardp

This sounds good, since I've changed a lot on the car, hopefully for the better. Mostly just taking the slack out, and stiffening up the rear of the chassis. Obviously replacing the worn front dampers, should make the most difference.

I too need to fix the 105db thing, since its around 120ish.

What else do I need to sort out?

Harnesses, 4 point (fia/msa approved)?
Helmet (what sort)?

Anything else you would suggest?

robp

Quote from: Richardp on 13, April, 2012, 07:10:18 AM

Helmet (what sort)?

Not essential to have harnesses but a good idea.  Also, a decent rollbar is advisable but not mandatory.  Any kite marked helmet will be OK.  If you don't have one I'm sure you can borrow/rent one on the day.  Give the car the once over before the event to make sure suspension and brakes are OK and check fluid levels.

120dB!!  Wow, have you got an exhaust system or just the manifold?  ::) ::) ;D

Richardp

Right sounds reasonable
harnesses go on the list t. I will sort out a helmet too, a friend does stock car, so as long as his fits, then I can borrow it.

As far as the roll bar goes, the car may look better without, but since I'm not insane, I'll be keeping it. In fact I've made new attachments for it, since I wasn't sure about holding it on with a couple of u bolts.

Can't figure out how to do quotes on my phone...

The exhaust system consists of 20 inches of 2 inch pipe, and a bike can, without any innards. I think it's quieter with just the manifold. It sounds nicer with the trumpet attached though.

Grin-a-lot

I went for a fairly cheap ACU gold stamped helmet and not had snags with trackdays yet.

I thought hard about how much to spend on a helmet (only one head and all that) and decided that for the number of trackdays I do (couple a year) and the likelihood of rolling and/or hitting my head like a motorbiker that a lower priced but certified one is fine for me.  I could've spent a lot more To get something lighter/better etc and some people will no doubt say that I should but it's just a question of how much risk you are comfortable with.

I went to the big motorbike shop (Fowlers?) opposite Temple Meads as they have a huge range.

David H

So long as its a helmet, bike or car, no one cares

Harnesses and car safety devices, over and above the norm is irrelevant to the organisers on most track days. Its about personal safety and the safety of others by your actions. Basically you don't have to have the full works but its nice to have it.

Abingdon is a fantastic track to learn your car. Probably the best airfield.

Phil, I will try and come, soooooo busy with the house for the mo.

Going to write up about my recent trip to Spa and the Ring soon ;D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: David H on 13, April, 2012, 09:48:13 PM
Phil, I will try and come, soooooo busy with the house for the mo.

Going to write up about my recent trip to Spa and the Ring soon ;D

Look forward to the write up, be good to see you at Abingdon but I know you have a lot to do.

fullpint

This sounds good, since I've changed a lot on the car, hopefully for the better. Mostly just taking the slack out, and stiffening up the rear of the chassis. Obviously replacing the worn front dampers, should make the most difference.

Helmet (what sort)?

Anything else you would suggest?
120!!! Ouch.. I thought mine was LOUD..

alastair

I'd be up for this. Just looked on motorsprt events and its fully booked for that date, but there are spaces for the 11th may if you are interested.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: alastair on 17, April, 2012, 05:45:10 PM
I'd be up for this. Just looked on motorsprt events and its fully booked for that date, but there are spaces for the 11th may if you are interested.

You can always phone them and ask to be put on a standby list..

'The Gaffer'

Well what can I say, had a great day (Well 1/2 day due to rain :() at Abingdon today. I was very pleased with my car it drove faultlessly all morning and into the afternoon. Managed to improve my driving skills a bit I think but there were some very quick cars and drivers out there that I had to let by - I do think they knew the track and their cars very well though, Ha, well that's my excuse anyway. Managed to overtake a few too so felt better about that :)

The event was well run by Motorsport Events and we had blue sky and sunshine till about midday, then all hell let loose as the heavens opened with a vengeance. I still managed a few wet laps but decided to call it a day late afternoon as the track was red flagged due to the rain and spin offs etc.

Met some really nice friendly people there and will definitely be going back to this one. I really recommend this track if you have never done a trackday before. It is very safe.

A couple of pics..

Great sunny start to the day, sadly the guy in the first pic had a coolant explosion and water blew up his ECU.

Clouds rolling in at midday.

Closely followed by the rain.

Now that's what I call wet!!!

It was the 7 crowd I felt sorry for - they got absolutely soaked.

Red flag up, thats when I called it a day.

Richardp

Yikes!

I might have to have a go there, looks like very little to hit :)

Not if its going to be that wet though, that would be truly miserable

David H

OMG thats wet!!

Well done for sticking it out!

Soooo glad to have a roof!