+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Got lucky at Pembrey 28/04/12

Started by Lucky Ed, 29, April, 2012, 09:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

Got up at the crack of dawn, drove through drizzle as far as Swansea the then it cleared up and the track at Pembrey was dry at 7 45  and thats the way it stayed for the rest of the day! - sorry to you guys trying to spend the day at Coombe. I did the sighting laps with standard road tyres, and that was enough to know they were distinctly average and to know the set up was way too soft.

So I got brave and cranked up the dampers and whacked on the new wheels and second hand slicks (from Steve Harkness) and by more luck than judgement instantly turned it into a half decent track car by lunchtime, by which time The Gaffer and RobP had turned up for their afternoon sess. Confidence grew in the afternoon and was starting to run a bit closer to the quick guys towards the end, until spinning due to the lack of stopping power, and more so the lack of talent ;D. I think I might have over done the damping a bit as the car handled better when Phil came for a ride - I'm going to resist saying I was experimenting with ballast :D

It was my third day at Pembrey and my first with my own car, and was lucky it ran all day without missing a beat so I couldn't have wished for any better. It was a first for Phil and Rob and they seemed suitably impressed with the place - so much so Rob even helped out with cutting some of the grass early in the day ;D

I hope to get back there in Sept. all being well
Ed

paintman

Nice to hear you all had a good day on the track. ;)      Very surprised you had a dry day......you were really lucky!! ;)

robp

I had a great day at Pembrey.  We were really lucky with the weather; wet on Friday, dry Saturday for us and wet on Sunday.  Perfect.

It was my first time at the circuit.  I just booked for the afternoon session to save me getting up at a ridiculous time.  I decided that with the open pitlane format I should get plenty of circuit time.  Worked well but I didn't get much time to sit around.  It was pretty full on.  Session on the track, into the pits, re-fuel, out again.

I had to watch my mirrors on joining the circuit for the first time after lunch with people that had already had a morning to learn the circuit.  I started out with my road tyres but once I saw the pounding they were taking I swapped to my old slicks.  It took a few laps to get the heat into them but I was surprised they actually provided a good level of grip for their age.  I have a new set on the way for the next trackday so looking forward to that one.

I had an off early on which dented my confidence through the that section.  I returned to the pits to check the car.  Loads of grass and earth down the tunnel and around the rear suspension but no damage done thankfully.  A passenger ride in Adam's Caterham showed me the right way through those corners and I was flying around later on.  The two of us were the last cars out on the circuit when they closed at 5pm.

Thanks very much to Ed for transporting my fuel and tyres to the circuit.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Ed P on 29, April, 2012, 09:16:05 PM
I think I might have over done the damping a bit as the car handled better when Phil came for a ride - I'm going to resist saying I was experimenting with ballast :D

Oi ;D Well done Ed, it was a great passenger ride, you really were very quick and the car ran great, it made me realise again that there is nothing quite like the raw experience of an open kit car - trouble is I now like a roof and heated seats  :))

Look forward to seeing you there again.

I too had a great day at Pembrey, nice to catch up with Adam, Ed, and Rob. Shame KrazyKen wimped out

The circuit was very enjoyable - quite quick in places with some challenging bends. My Z4 Alpina ran faultlessly again, and considering it had been thrashed around Abingdon circuit the day before I expected at least the need to top up oil, but checked the dipstick and all was fine.

My only concern as the afternoon went on was that my tyres were peeling rubber, ah well, I didnt by the car to worry too much about stuff like that, but may look into some track day wheels and tyres at some point.

Will definitely be up for this one again, especially if we can get a few more along, and maybe one day I will be as quick as Robp, Adam, and DaveH haha.

dave_bence

Glad to hear you all had a great day.

Shame I couldn't come - I love Pembrey.

ME's next day at Pembrey is the 15th of September. I'll be there ;D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: dave_bence on 01, May, 2012, 09:48:17 PM
ME's next day at Pembrey is the 15th of September. I'll be there ;D

Who else is up for this? Good chance I will be there.

Moleman