News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

1st Track Day

Started by Dazzer, 19, May, 2012, 09:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazzer

I have finally taken the plunge and booked my first ever track day [at castle coombe next friday] so can any of the wise and wonderful spare some wisdom and advice for a track virgin....................... ;D

Grin-a-lot

Castle Combe was my first trackday and although a bit scary it was great fun.  If I were to do it again I'd say:

1. Get tuition - either a friendly face on here or someone who can show you round.  Not only will it help lap times it'll increase enjoyment factor in the end.

2. Take lots of breaks for your benefit and the cars! If its open pit lane you'll have loads of time so don't worry about it.

3. Take a small collection of tools/bits like fuses, bit of oil etc just incase. Even a foot pump so that you can raise/lower tyre pressures if you think you want/need to.

I can't offer much advice and there'll be more experienced guys along soon but have fun and slowly build up speed, don't try setting lap records straight off because the crash barriers are never far away at Combe...

I might be driving past on the way home from work Friday afternoon and if I am I'll swing by with me camera and get some action photos!

YellaBelly

Hi Dazzer,

I only live 5 minutes down the road and I 'work from home' most oif the time so could nip over for an hour if you want some moral support?  Not got any track experience myself (waiting for my IVA date) but be glad to take a few piccies for you if you like?

John

Daley Down Under

Dazzer,

Good advice from Grin.  Combe is fine in the dry - just be a bit careful in the damp/cold/wet.  Typre pressures are important.  20/21 psi hot is a good bet for Westies.  Probably 16/17 cold depending on rim/tyre size.  Enjoy

'The Gaffer'

Good advice there, just drive at your own pace - its not a race after all.

Keep an eye in your mirrors too and be prepared to let faster cars overtake as soon as you can. I'm quite good at that ;)

Have fun!!!

Dazzer

Thanks for all the good advice, i shall try to remember it all while being overtaken by all the pro's. As for the kind offers of action shots i don't think there will be too much action from me, maybe a couple of wet patches on the seat through fear but dont think others will want to see those......... :o

fullpint

Combe is great. Been around a few times now but only on action days, never done a whole day. Having a rest is a good plan tho. Even after 15mins I was hanging  :D :D :D :D :D
Quarry is the one to watch out for and also camp corner. YOu will ENJOY mate it's  8)

David H

Hi Darren, if its the Friday you are going, I will be there. I've been to Combe a couple of times and have driven it in most weather in my old Westfields.  Bring waterproofs and gloves in case and feel free to come over and say hi.

I'll be in a blue M3

Dave

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: David H on 21, May, 2012, 08:59:29 AM
I've been to Combe a couple of times

:)) Only a couple of times!!

Maybe Dave might come out with you Dazzer and show you around. I believe he knows it quite well ;)

Krazyken

Actually every inch of tarmac knows Dave H by name rather than the other way round.  ;)

David H

;)

If its not raining, I'd be happy to jump in! :D

Dazzer

Dave, thanks for the offer, i may well take you up on it, i'll be the only one there in a blue westfield so leave me plenty of room when you overtake, no buzzing the tower ok....... :o

David H

dont worry, i wont be passing you if you drive a blue Westfield. The blue ones are very fast!

It will be a fun day whatever!

'The Gaffer'

Great day, great weather at Combe today. But is Dazzer hooked? let's watch this space :)

I had a great passenger ride with Dave H, his car is really well set up and goes like f**k, Dave on the other hand is totally unhinged ;) Cheers Dave, nice ride mate.

Do I spot a bit of extra camber there?

David H

Cracking day indeed. The standard of driving was very good with a quality crowd of enthusiasts.

The weather was amazing but the temps were driving the fluids to boil and my brake pads actually expanded so much they cut into my disc bells like a lathe!! Never seen anything like it!!

I managed a 1 min 19.68 seconds which I am pretty chuffed with. It's still way off the Westfield which I managed a 1 min 15.8 but for a 1.5 ton saloon car it's not half bad. There's more to go with stronger brake pads and obviously slicks but I'm in no rush as today felt good enough fun!

Dazzer got out there with his mate Jamie and they put in some impressive laps. Dazzer looked like a man who could easily get into this. There's nothing like a track day to bring on the mods!!

Well done on shredding your tyres today!!

Daley Down Under

Dave - not that you were timing of course. Under 1:20 is seriously good for the M3. Keep up the good work

David H

I was definitely not using a stand alone laptimer. Definitely not.

Dazzer

I just want to thank everyone for all the good advice, I had a great time, met lots of happy friendly people that were happy to give some good tips, like dropping tyre pressures so as to prevent further spins too close to the armco  :o thanks Dave  :D All in all I can honestly say i'm hooked, but have learned that road tyres and standard suspension along with the dreaded coolant leak make for a frustrating day, so if anyone has some track tyres lying around that they want to sell, please call me....... :D

Krazyken

Dazzer

Glad you had a good day, track days are definitely addictive.  It seems that there is a shortage of track day tyres at the moment.  I have ordered some from Steve Harkness recently and there are no Toyos either 888's or R1R in the UK, Yoko 08's are not available until July so I have ordered Federal 595 RSR's.  Did my research first and the Federals have good reviews, after years of 888's it will be interesting to see how another tyre performs.

Best of luck getting some 2nd hand track tyres but I think you may have to buy new. 

robp

Quote from: Krazyken on 07, June, 2012, 11:54:49 AM

.. so I have ordered Federal 595 RSR's.  Did my research first and the Federals have good reviews, after years of 888's it will be interesting to see how another tyre performs.

I will be interested in how you get on with those RSRs, Ken.  Possibly nearer to a R1R than a R888?

robp

Quote from: Dazzer on 06, June, 2012, 09:37:04 PM

so if anyone has some track tyres lying around that they want to sell, please call me....... :D

I'll soon be selling a load of wheels and tyres.  My garage is starting to look like Kwikfit/ATS and I need the room.  Got some 15" alloys with R888s and some slicks too I what to sell.  Hopefully sort through everything this weekend and get an ad up on the site.

Krazyken

Rob if you have 15" 888's and 15" slicks I am definitely interested.