+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Zetec self destructs at Donington

Started by Lucky Ed, 25, June, 2012, 10:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

After a couple of hours of very enjoyable sliding around at a very wet Donington, my Mac 1 Zetec devloped a nasty mis-fire whilst following Krazy Ken. after coasting down Craner Curves, the car picked up again & caught up with Ken. No worries I thought, just the monsoon conditions getting into the electrics, so after another lap thought it was best to investigate, but after pulling into the pits I quickly shut off the engine as it sounded like a very big bag of nails - DAY OVER :(

After lunch in the greasy spoon, and a couple of fast passenger rides with Dave Doom (thanks for the offer of a drive Dave, but I felt was  bound to prang it with the luck I was having!) I decided to head for home.

Got the head off yeterday to reveal alot of debris in no.2 cylinder, the top of the piston was very pitted as was the head around the valves. Luckly the bore was undamaged. and after borrowing Dave Doom's valve compression tool (thanks Dave) the valves and seats were undamaged too - what a lucky boy I am ;D

The offending article appears to be a 6mm nut that has come off the carb trumpet bracket, and was obviously rattling around inside the air filter until being sucked into the engine. The damage seems minimal, so with a head gasket ordered it's starting to go back together tomorrow in the hope of getting to Llandow on Saturday

Hope to see you all there  ;D

Moleman

Glad it wasn't too serious. Hope you get it done ok & see you on saturday.  ;D

Hairy Santa

what a bummer  - glad it wasn't to serious

YellaBelly

I'm guessing it'll be thread-lock or bearing-lock on that nut this time then? :)

Glad it was a relatively simple fix (hopefully).

David H

I must have popped my Zetec3 or 4 times for various reasons but they are very good at recovering.

In this case we cab hardly blame the engine itself and I'm glad to hear its all ok

dave_bence

Pleased to hear that it's not too serious Ed.

Hope to see you at Llandow ;D

fullpint

Quote from: YellaBelly on 26, June, 2012, 09:11:39 AM
I'm guessing it'll be thread-lock or bearing-lock on that nut this time then? :)

Glad it was a relatively simple fix (hopefully).
Or out with the stick welder  :).. Glad it's a cheap repair mate.. You are lucky.

'The Gaffer'

Lucky there, could have been a lot worse, shame it was wet on track.

Krazyken

All set for llandow - forewast at the mo is sunshine & showers but there is more grip at Llandow than Donington so it should be fun.

Lucky Ed

Cars up and running - will take it for a blast tonight to see what else falls off it :P

Looking good for Llandow ;D

fullpint

Wow you don't hang around fixing things.. I do hope the same applies to those DIY jobs in the house  :D :D :D :D :D
Hope theblast goes well and nothing else fails..