Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

may 18th OMEX/CKC trackday

Started by mr tone, 26, January, 2013, 06:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

mr tone

Hi are we going as a club this year as normal or do we go it alone?. Really good avent and i dont want to miss it Tony

Moleman

I went last year & it was a good day, well worth it. Is that the comfirmed date for this year then? I'm gessing it's Llandow again?
Krazyken normally gets the details of this one from the CKC guys around the first few months of the year.
I would say it's a good venue for everyone to meet up & test your car out on a track without worrying about speed camera's.
It's a very easy going atmosphere & You don't have to be any good, post record lap times. It's all about having fun.
It's a good forgiving curcuit for novices & trackday nuts.  :D
Anyone who has ever thought about trying one then this is a good one to start with.  ;D
Just make sure when you see an orange dot in your mirrors stay right as Robp will be passing you very soon.  :P
I will be going as you prob already gessed.  :P :P :P :P :P :P

Grin-a-lot

I need to check the work commitments that weekend but I'm keen.

Lucky Ed

I might be wrong but I think the day a lot of us attended last year was actually late on on June. It was a joint venture including BKCC/BPMC & Quantum. As Moleman says it was a great relaxed day out... and it didn't even rain!. It would be great if we can get a gang together to do something similar this year 8)

mr tone

I am sure its May 18th at llandow,Emailed Ian Stent but not heard back yet. In CKC its says they are taking bookings.

Lucky Ed

Soz Mr Tone you're correct, there were two trackdays at Llandow last year the CKC day in May and the BKCC/BPMC day late in June. I missed the day in May last year due to work, but looking back at the photos it looks like you had a great day.

I'm easily confused at my age :o ;D

Krazyken

As Lucky says above there were 2 days last year at Llandow the CKC and the Club one.  If anyone wants to go to the May CKC one then please book with Ian Stent at CKC quoting either your CKC membership no or BKCC.

There will will a BPMC/BKCC/WSCC/Quantum day this year but BPMC are taking the lead for this event so will let you know when this is once the arrangements are made.

eaa53

I have booked myself in with Ian for another year of fun. I hope the weather is as good again this year as the last two. ;D

What you running this year Ken?? I have the option to run my 5Exi this year but it cannot compete with your records 8).

Need to make sure its reliable before I commit! :-X 2 months running with the ACKCC boys should do it..... :o

Moleman

I've tried ringing Ian to book it, I just keep getting the answerphone at the mo. I will keep trying though.  :(

How about anyone out there that hasn't done one before? This one was my first last year & I can say it's a good easy one to start with.  8)
If you need any help or advice what you need or help when your there, there are alot of us there to show you the do's & don'ts & help you injoy I good day going around the track.
I was lucky to have Krazyken that helped me & you will find we are all willing to help you keep pointing your car in the right direction.  :D
Though i'm no expert yet.  :P :P :P

Moleman

I have book for this one. Just to let you know they are only giving discount to CKC subscribers this year.
Which I am anyway.  :)

Who else is up for this?
If there is anyone who hasn't done one before & would like Help Or advice you can pm me with any questions & I will be happy to help.
& if I can't then I will pm Ken.  ;D

alastair

I spoke with Ian Stent last week and I'm now booked on this track day.
I can not wait for it.

dave_bence

mr tone

So will i  Dave looking forward to it.Just been to BTEC  lost 10 bhp in 2 years on same rollers but told mapping really smooth. What do i look at to get those ponies  back ?  .Will be could to see you all at Stoneleigh  Tony

alastair

Hi guys,

Would anyone like to meet up and convoy to Llandow circuit on Saturday morning?

Moleman

Quote from: alastair on 14, May, 2013, 07:23:58 AM
Hi guys,

Hi mate. you wouldn't want to bother following me as i will be towing so it will take me longer to get there. I will be leaving just after 7 to get there in plenty of time to unload which will prob be abit early for you mate? If you need me to take anything for you as your driving the mini down then no probs just pop it over to mine by friday.  :)

alastair

Quote from: Moleman on 14, May, 2013, 08:48:16 PM
Quote from: alastair on 14, May, 2013, 07:23:58 AM
Hi guys,

Hi mate. you wouldn't want to bother following me as i will be towing so it will take me longer to get there. I will be leaving just after 7 to get there in plenty of time to unload which will prob be abit early for you mate? If you need me to take anything for you as your driving the mini down then no probs just pop it over to mine by friday.  :)

Thats cool mate. Although i wont be rushing there. The mini is pretty happy sat at 60ish onbthe m-way.
By the way your van didnt seem too muchbof a slouch today! :-)

Moleman

That was funny. People do like doing 20mph under the speed limit in the outside lane.  ::)
When I finally got abit of space to get passed the 40mph club, I saw this BMW behind me so I moved over as soon as it was ok without getting stuck behind someone else thinking he would fly passed me really quickly only for him to drive next to me at the same speed.  ??? So when I looked over to see it was you I was really surpriced.  :o ;D
How did you know it was me? There must be loads of big bright Yellow vans with track curcuit stickers & a big Wasp on the back!  :P

Moleman

Had A FANTASTIC DAY. weather was really good to try out slick for the first time.  8)
Three of us managed to set up next to each other for the day aswell.  ;D

I didn't take many photo's but i will check out the go-pro tomorrow but i've not got my hopes up due to realising at the end that the lens cover was steaming up as I didnt put the fair weather cover on.  ??? ::)

Ready to go with the slicks on.

Three other club members who went which managed to park next to me for the day.

This is a good venue so anyone thinking about it. there is still time to book yourself in with Krazyken for the 29th june.  :)

jeffw

Had a great day in my Phoenix (just in the back fo the first picture above).  No video as it all packed in on me :(  Datalogger says my fastest lap was 45.39 which is 2secs faster than my short lived adventures last year.  Nice to see a large selection of cars out and about and I hope all the various blow-ups and mechanical gremlins are not too serious.

alastair

I had a brilliant time at Llandow yesterday. The weather was excellent and I managed to look after my tyres really well even after 50 miles of hard driving. I had a few really neat laps which really built confidence. I did have a bit of a moment when i decided it would be a good idea to follow a quicker car through the chicane into the "Glue Pot" at his speed. I felt the car go a little light out of the chicane and my buttocks clenched somewhat but thankfully the car didn't loose traction (there isn't a lot of run off there).

I took a few videos and used an app on my phone called Race Chrono. It was the first time I had used this app and I found it to really good especially for a free app. It measures lap times, splits, speed and direction. It has loads of race tracks already built into its library and  llandow was on there. my quickest time of the day was 53.15 secs which I don't feel was too bad. I'm sure there is more time to be found. The app also gives you a graph of your speed at any given point on the track which can really help to see where you drove well and where you can make up time. It certainly is a good app for anyone who wants to be a smoother, quicker driver.

Here are two videos of my 5 sessions on track
In the first video you will see both Dave Bence and Moleman (overtaking me  :'()

In total I went on track 5 times and the car behaved really well. I think the anti-roll bars that I fitted last year (this is their first outing at Llandow) really helped to keep the car more stable through the corners which in turn, along with some smoother driving by myself, really helped to prolong the life of the tyres (especially the front left as this one gets the most grief on my car). The rear roll bar also allowed the rear of the car to slide slightly through the right-hander of the "bus stop" meaning it was somewhat straighter on the exit of the corner which allowed me to put the power down earlier.

I worked out also that I was getting roughly 11mpg on track  :o
I would like to thank Moleman for letting me use his van to lock some of my stuff in and some of his tools on the day. Cheers mate!

I am really looking forward to the next Llandow trackday in June. Bring it on!!  ;D

Moleman

Nice video's mate.  :) Most of my footage seems to be steamed up but I have afew that are ok. one with you overtaken that yellow westy, i will put it on here for you when you tube lets me.  ::)
my best lap was 46 seconds  :o ;D which is the best I have ever done.  ;D I will be getting that app that Alastair showed me as it looks the business & will help you improve by showing you where you are doing ok & not so ok.  :)

dave_bence

That was indeed a very enjoyable day ;D

It was my first time on track since last October, so I was rather rusty and it took a while before it all "started to flow"

By the afternoon, I was going OK, the car never missed a beat all day and the weather was perfect for a track day.

Moleman and jeffw were flying, Alastair looked smooth and tidy all day, but I think westiebusa had a big fluid leak and went home early :( Nothing too serious, hopefully.

Looking forward to the next one ;D

paul

Quote from: jeffw on 18, May, 2013, 09:40:07 PM
Had a great day in my Phoenix (just in the back fo the first picture above).  No video as it all packed in on me :(  Datalogger says my fastest lap was 45.39 which is 2secs faster than my short lived adventures last year.  Nice to see a large selection of cars out and about and I hope all the various blow-ups and mechanical gremlins are not too serious.

Hi Jeff,
I have some pictures of you so you have email!

Regards,
Paul

Lucky Ed

Looks like you guys had a good day, gutted I missed this one, hope the one at the end of June goes ahead.

Nice videos Alistair, which phone app were you using it sounds pretty good, I've had a look for it but can't find one that matches.

By the way I only managed 10.5mpg on my Pembrey trackday  :o

paul

Quote from: Moleman on 18, May, 2013, 09:33:39 PM
I didn't take many photo's but i will check out the go-pro tomorrow but i've not got my hopes up due to realising at the end that the lens cover was steaming up as I didnt put the fair weather cover on.  ??? ::)

Hi Moleman,
I've got a couple of photos of you too..msg me if you want the originals..

Regards,
Paul

paul

Hi Alastair,
I've got some photos of you too, again drop me an email if you want the originals;

Regards,
Paul

jeffw

Thanks for the photos Paul, glad the data logs where of some use.

Some nice pictures from http://www.sbkmotorsport.com (paid for)

Not sure what Adam was upto in the background lol

More pictures, this time from Paul Reeves.  "Young" David T in the passenger seat.

Paul Reeves asked for the datalog from the car as he uses the Race Technology kit as well.   Turns out I was 24mph faster down the straight than his MEV which explains the lap difference.

I gave a number of people passenger laps and they all came in with 'saucer' eyes so all good fun

alastair

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 20, May, 2013, 10:00:54 PM
Nice videos Alistair, which phone app were you using it sounds pretty good, I've had a look for it but can't find one that matches.

The app is called race chrono and its a free app.

Paul, thanks for those pics. They look great! It was nice to meet you. You'll have to take yours on track next time tho.

jeffw

Following on from that, if any one wants a passenger lap in the Phoenix next time please just ask as I'm more than happy to take people out.

alastair

Quote from: jeffw on 21, May, 2013, 01:56:47 PM
Following on from that, if any one wants a passenger lap in the Phoenix next time please just ask as I'm more than happy to take people out.

I would love to ;D. I thought your car looked beautiful on track.

Moleman

Thanks for the offer Paul. How come you didn't take yours out then? :)

I'm happy to give anyone a passenger ride too if anyone would like a ride?  ;D

As promised here is Alastair getting pass on of the seven's on track in his mini. showing them how it is done. ;D

The track seems quite busy on here but most of the time it seemed like I was the only one on there. Shame I can't show you my best lap as the camera got condensation. but anyone going in June you can see what fun you are going to have.  ;D

Lucky Ed

I have checked out the Race Chrono website and it's only compatable with android and not ios, so will try one of the others out. Anybody got any recommendations?

stevel

Hi Colin, so how were the slicks??  Worth the investment?

Ed. you beat me to that question seems like Android app only at this stage, not that my lap times will be worth recording in June!!

Moleman

The slicks were really good Steve. I could accelerate out the last bend so much quicker than before.  :o 8)

stevel

Well you will have even more time to wave at me when you are passing in June!!

jeffw

Quote from: alastair on 21, May, 2013, 07:29:20 PM
Quote from: jeffw on 21, May, 2013, 01:56:47 PM

I would love to ;D. I thought your car looked beautiful on track.

You would be more than welcome...

paul

Quote from: Moleman on 21, May, 2013, 08:17:22 PM
Thanks for the offer Paul. How come you didn't take yours out then? :)

Not quite sure where that came from ?! I'm out on track :)
I feature in your video too :) You follow me through the bus stop at 5:18 and give me a wave as you sail past at 5:38 down the straight after I pull over !
(In my defense, i'm not pushing hard as I have Sue (Matts wife) in the car with me ...)

Regards,
Paul

Moleman

Oh sorry. :-[  I thought I read somewhere you didn't take yours out.  Glad you did mate. :)

Moleman

Most of us are famous. Nearly all of us from the club who went to this trackday have made it into the Complete Kit Car Magazine.  8) 8) 8)