Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

BKCC/BPMC Llandow Track Day - Sat 29th June

Started by Krazyken, 09, March, 2013, 06:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: underdog on 27, June, 2013, 09:38:28 PM
just noticed llandow have posted this up on their facebook page as a last minute special offer so id assume if they doing that it could be more than the 20 car limit you had planned ken?

Hmm, that's crafty.

Lucky Ed

Quote from: stevel on 27, June, 2013, 09:09:56 PM
Well Mrs Lovell is looking better everyday (not that she looked bad anyway) and is insistent that I can go and spend some time with you horrible lot.  So all being well I will be there but will probably not stay for the full day.

Pleased your good lady is on the mend, thet must have been a bit scary for a minute.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow with those new brakes 8)

Krazyken

Great News for Steve and Mrs Lovell.

Have sorted Llandows last minute offer and the day will be BPMC & BKCC only, 17 cars in total.

alastair

Moleman

robp

Quote from: Krazyken on 28, June, 2013, 07:27:11 PM
Have sorted Llandows last minute offer and the day will be BPMC & BKCC only, 17 cars in total.

Well done, Ken.

Just finished getting ready.  See you all tomorrow.  :)

underdog

Quote from: Krazyken on 28, June, 2013, 07:27:11 PM
Great News for Steve and Mrs Lovell.

i know of some who booked and payed llandow today and spoke direct to office not online so how will they sort that out. apparently llandow said 21 booked in and wont be open pit all day. they will be running their usual groups in the morning and open in afternoon.

finished final works on my car today and dont think i can sleep tonight with excitment. good weather too

fullpint

Hope you guys have a great day. Weather forecast is AWESOME..
Should be some nice sticky rubber and loads of grip. 8)

underdog

was a great day so thanks for organizing it. nice to meet some of you too. glad my focus stayed in one peice although i did dent my wing hitting a cone and grounded the cat over the first bustop curb which brought managment light on but still ran flawlessly. cheers

stevel

Absolutely brilliant day.  Big thanks to Ken for organising it all.  Hopefully Colin will sort his car out okay and despite all odds Ed managed to get some last life out of the old Zetec.  I did manage to dink my rear arch which was down to my over ambition and collecting a cone around devils elbow, nothing major and this time did not spin or use the "oh shit lane".  I really enjoyed the day and banter and particularly my few passenger laps in the Asbo, what an awesome piece of machinery!!

Looking forward to the next, I must try harder to sort some sticky tyres !

alastair

I had a great day today. Brilliant weather and a great bunch of guys. Big thanks to Ken for organizing the day!
My mini went well. I managed to find a huge 3 seconds of speed over my quickest lap when I was here last month  ;D
I did cut the corner on the way into the bus stop and went straight over the kirb which resulted in a damage anti-roll bar bolt. This was the only problem I had all day, apart from almost forgetting to put my number plates back on before leaving the circuit to get some petrol. :P
Thanks to Colin, phil, and asboman for letting me be a passenger in their motors. The Asbo is out of this world. Its unbelievably fast, amazing on the brakes and grips brilliantly through the corners, plus there is no windscreen of any description which means that your helmet is blasted by 100mph winds. I think I want one!

Here are some pics of the day.

Thats all I was able to post on this page so will continue with more on another.  :D

alastair

Here are some more pics of the day.

Bad luck Colin. Hope you get it fixed soon and that your engine isn't too broken!

Moleman

Why is that recovery bloke smiling?  >:(  ;D
Nice pic's though. I will put some video's on at some point.
I will find out tomorrow about my engine. we will be taking the sump off as it's seized tight at the mo & the top end looks ok, water is still full? I'm just glad it happened at the end & not the start.  ::)

Thanks ken it was still a cracking day. i'm really pleased with my progress on the track.  :D

fullpint

:( Hope its not too bad Colin... As you said though at least it happened at the end of the day.
I too had a funny noise going round left hand corners at Combe on the parade laps :o :o Need to look into that at some point..
Look forward to seeing the video.

AsboMan

Thanks to ken, for a cracking day.... a bit to much sun as i burnt my head lol.
The video with ken and phil in the ASBO came out, so i'll tech support guy to upload it to you tube and put a link up.

Lucky Ed

Thanks for another great day out Ken, well organised as usual. Also big thanks to AsboMan for all the passenger rides he gave in his awesome bit of kit, he should have put a sign up and made a few quid during the day ;D

My old Zetec managed to last out the day, despite having quite a large oil leak out of the back of the head. It was misfiring badly in the afternoon and I was having to short shift, but was still managing to do sub 50 secs - old Fords never die!. Anyway it's coming out this week ready for the new Blacktop 8)

Moleman - I hope the engine isn't too bad once you get a look inside, these things are only supposed to happen to me!

And last of all thanks for the good company and the banter, all in all a fantastic day out ;D ;D ;D

SPAXIMUS

I would like to add my thanks to Ken, not easy to organise a day like this where you are always hoping people will take advantage of Kens work and negotiation skill.

My day was cut short as I had been bitten by something the day before and my left arm started to swell and I was feeling sick. So went just before Lunch and now have a left arm like popeye and I am being pumped with pills to get it sorted.
As it is such a physcial track with hard braking and tight bemds there was sadly no way I could have safely carried on.

underdog

'The Gaffer'

What a great day, lots of sunshine, around car banter, and as much track time as you wanted. Many thanks to Ken and the staff at Llandow for making the day possible and safe.

Highlight of the day was a ride in Robin's Asbo 2, that really is a great piece of engineering, thanks Robin :)

My sympathy goes out to Colin who was doing his best to get round as quick as possible when something in his engine let go, and on putting his car back onto the trailer it spilled what looked like a gallon of oil over the floor so possibly not an easy fix. Hope it's not too serious mate - the car was flying.

I was being a bit cautious during the day as Llandow is renowned for its rough track surface, and with my tyres costing about £1000 to replace I decided not to do as much track time as I could, nor hammer them too much into the corners which are very tight there :( Llandow is a great little track but I think it is much more suited to smaller, lighter and more nimble cars, many of which were putting in some very quick laps.

Nice to meet underdog and his mates and thanks for putting up the video, I could have strung you out for a few more laps but you had the speed on the corners :P Thats my excuse anyway ;)

underdog

i couldnt cope with your power phil so i had to wring the neck off my car in the corners to catch back up. wouldnt have minded at all if you had stayed in front to be honest as it was good fun m8

Moleman

THEM BMW's NEVER PULL OVER DO THEY! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I haven't looked at my video's yet. I will post one on during next week.
I will put some pic's of my engine on a new tread. It ain't good.

stevel

Sorry to hear that Colin, hope you sort it soon.  You were obvioulsy trying very hard towards the end.  I really enjoyed myself and despite a big fat heavy car, big fat heavy driver, standard Zetec that has probably gone to the moon and back towing a caravan, 8 year old hard as nail Toyo T1S, I did really feel a difference from last time, especially when taking Ed & Ken's advice on gears and lines.

As said before no spins, no run offs or huge dramas.  I have been looking at some of my lap times and first session best was 52.5, second session best 51.5, third session best 51.3 then I gave up recording as the app needs the phone to be upright facing forward and I took my jacket off (my excuse and I am sticking to it!!).  Also no idea how accurate the free app is?

The new brakes were a big improvement as confidence grew and tyres must be the way forward for me now.  Still in two minds, secondhand slicks on the 13" x 6" rims I have got (need to find a way of getting them onto the roll bar or persuade a friendly member to take them for me!!) or something like the R1R's on my standard 15" road rims.  The old T1S's took some stick as Ed will tell you, I was obvioulsy trying a lot harder than last time or just sliding a lot!!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Moleman on 30, June, 2013, 05:11:08 PM
THEM BMW's NEVER PULL OVER DO THEY! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

We dont have indicators so its near on impossible :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: underdog on 30, June, 2013, 04:16:09 PM
i couldnt cope with your power phil so i had to wring the neck off my car in the corners to catch back up. wouldnt have minded at all if you had stayed in front to be honest as it was good fun m8

I could smell the rubber coming off my tyres so thought I best take a rest, quick well handling car you have there mate 8) Maybe see you there another time, especially if I mange to find some 19" slicks for £20 a corner... I think not.

Agreed, good fun there.

robp

I really enjoyed yesterday.  Great to see everyone and meet some new people too.

The Westy was running perfectly and, once I got the tyres warm, my new brakes were awesome.  I couldn't believe how quickly the car would stop.

I haven't had the chance to look at my GoPro footage but I'll see if I can upload something soon.

Many thanks to Ken for organising everything.  Sorry I had to leave a little early; family duties.  I got home in plenty of time for SWMBO's night out so all smiles at home!  :D ;)

dave_bence

Another very enjoyable day at Llandow. Thanks to KK for organising it 8)

Perfect weather, a friendly bunch of people and very few stoppages ;D

I've trashed my tyres and got a sunburnt head, but had a blast - little car didn't miss a beat all day.

Highlight of the day was being hurled around the circuit as a passenger in Asbo 2. What an impressive car and driver 8)

Lucky Ed's engine deserves an award - it did a track day at Donington with hardly any coolant, now a day at Llandow with hardly any oil - tough engine ;D

WALNUT

Sorry to hear the bad news moleman,
                                                        WALLNUT

Lucky Ed

Lucky Ed's engine deserves an award - it did a track day at Donington with hardly any coolant, now a day at Llandow with hardly any oil - tough engine ;D

[/quote]

I was thinking of holding some sort of ceremony to mark the passing of the old zetec....

Looks like Moleman might need to attend as well .... poor chap :'( :'( :'( :'(

Moleman

Perhaps we can get a discount on buying 2 engines?  :)

Lucky Ed

What are your plans Col? I presume you're going to stick with the Duratec so it will drop straight in.

What spec engine have you got and what sort of sump was on it as it's rare for these to let go in such a big way.

I've been in contact with Raceline - who are now doing a lot of Duratec bits as well as Zetecs, they're not cheap but the advice is free ;D

Lucky Ed

Quote from: stevel on 30, June, 2013, 05:36:58 PM

As said before no spins, no run offs or huge dramas.  I have been looking at some of my lap times and first session best was 52.5, second session best 51.5, third session best 51.3 then I gave up recording as the app needs the phone to be upright facing forward and I took my jacket off (my excuse and I am sticking to it!!).  Also no idea how accurate the free app is?

I don't think your free app is too far out Steve. KK timed me in the afternoon at 49.5 and I reckon I was about 1sec quicker than you so about 51 seems about right.

You were going really well this time mate, a lot smoother and quicker - although not so much fun to watch  ;D :o 8)

alastair

Ok, so on the way home i kept hearing a creaking noise that i didnt much like the sound of. I checked it over yesterday morning and found a nice crack on the floor where the front subframe bolts to it. Ive had it before and think its due to having solid mounts and over twice as much power as the mini was originally designed for. It will mean an engine and subframe out job  ???
Whilst under the car i noticed that i had lost two bolts which hold an exhaust clamp to diff housing. Not ideal, although not much, if any, oil leaking from there! So im gona take the mini off the road for a bit whilst i weld the floor up, strip and re-seal all the gaskets of the engine and gearbox and strip the box and find out why 1st and 2nd gear are grinding when i try and get into them. I may see about changing the gear ratios at the same time. Fun fun!

andygtm

Hope that's all you find Alistair, shame its not closer to the winter months as I guess your mini gets put away while the weather is bad. My mini has a few niggley noises too, but I am afraid to look :-[ Good luck with the work and hope its back on the road soon.

Krazyken

Great day chaps, all joking aside sympathies go to Colin for his Duratec engine - at least he was trying!  What is the diagnosis on this Colin?

It seems nearly everyone came away with a few scars to one degree or another except Dave Doom who came away with a sunburnt head :o :o :o

alastair

Quote from: andygtm on 01, July, 2013, 01:17:50 PM
Hope that's all you find Alistair, shame its not closer to the winter months as I guess your mini gets put away while the weather is bad. My mini has a few niggley noises too, but I am afraid to look :-[ Good luck with the work and hope its back on the road soon.

Thanks, hopefully that is all i find and yes i do wish it happened closer to the winter months, but ever the opyimist, at least the garage will be warmer!!!
I had an MOT booked today so took the mini along anyway with the knowledge that it will probably fail due to the crack in the floor, but it seems the electrical gremlins were around and buggered up my indicators/ brake lights by blowing fuses then by blowing my major 30amp fuse which controls everything from the ignition to the alarm meaning nothing worked. Infact, it blew 3 of these fuses!! When i picked the car up after not being MOT'd due to these issues i checked the earths etc and these were all secure and seemed fine but noticed a small nic in one of the coil wires which was causing it to short out on either the gearbox or block. A bit of insulation tape and a new fuse and i was on my way. So there is at least one more thing for me to do when i strip it all down. I was pretty lucky this never happened at llandow.

Remember, "always look on the bright side of life"

Krazyken

Just seen the thread on Colins engine - OUCH!!!  At least Duratecs are a bit more plentiful now and prices have come down. Just need to modify the sump for future track use or better still splash out on a dry sump system.  Ahhhh track cars the ££££££'s never stop.

Moleman

I'm the same. I'm glad it happened at the end of the track day not the start. I just wish it wasn't at the start of the summer.  ::)
Me & a mate have been looking at my options & hope to find something soon.

I was trying to get down to 45sec's but didn't quite manage it. I did do 46.2sec's though which was my best so far.  ;D

Ps. Ken this is all your fault for helping me do a track day last year!!!  So all this cost is down to you for getting me hooked! >:(  :D :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

underdog

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 01, July, 2013, 08:00:29 AM
Quote from: stevel on 30, June, 2013, 05:36:58 PM

I don't think your free app is too far out Steve. KK timed me in the afternoon at 49.5 and I reckon I was about 1sec quicker than you so about 51 seems about right.

You were going really well this time mate, a lot smoother and quicker - although not so much fun to watch  ;D :o 8)

i use race chrono and iv timed the laps with a stopwatch on my video footage and comes out almost bang on. great free app.  my best was a 48.59 on my own and 49.4 with passenger. was mostly giving passenger rides all day and out of 15 sessions i had 4 on my own. prefer it on my own though as car feels so much quicker.

'The Gaffer'

Unlucky Alastair.

Probably a good thing that we didnt go out that 'One last time'

Hope you get everything sorted soon.

AsboMan

Hi Guys,

It's nice to have such positive feed back on the car :) It was nice to see the grins on peoples faces when they got out of the car! Tech support guy is ill so he hasn't edited the videos, I'll have to wait until he's better, ( just can't get the staff! )