News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Slick tyres.

Started by Moleman, 05, October, 2012, 08:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

Now that the bad weather is setting in I was thinking you might get slick tyres cheaper? Is this the case or do they stay the same price all year round?
I have 888's which are really good but I'm thinking about getting a set of cheap 15" alloys for the slicks.
The tyre size I use is 195/50. Is this the size I should go for with slicks or are the sizes different with slicks ( silly question but only seen 190/50's ) & what make do anyone who's used them recomend?  :-\
Any info will be greatfully appreciated.  :D

Lucky Ed

15" slicks are as rare as hens teeth, so you are better off going for 13" rims if they will fit over your brake calipers and second hand 13" slicks are cheap and plentiful -£80 should get you a good set of 4. Check out ebay or speak to Steve Harkness in Chipping Sodbury if you need more advice, he's really helpful.

As far as sizing goes a 20/54/13 is 200mm wide / 540mm overall diameter /  for 13" fitment. To match your 195/50s you would be looking at 195/570/13.

You really need to source some wheels first, as most old 13s ie. RS alloys will only be 6" wide, limiting you to probably 170/180's which will still give you a lot more grip than your 888's. I'm running Dunlop 170/575/13 front and 205/570/13 rear on 7" rims, and as you probably remember from Pembrey. I have enough grip to induce wishbone failure :o

I went for Dunlops as they tend to have a larger overall diameter than Michelins, and they are radials as opposed to cross plys, keeping your track day tyres similar to the overall diameter of your road tyres. Looking on ebay 15" slicks are at least double the price of 13"s so it might be worth you making the switch.

robp

Yes, agree with Ed.  Defo go for 13".  The RS wheels are cheap and have the right offset for a Westfield but, as Ed said, they are only 6" wide which limits tyre width. Having said that I ran RS wheels with 16/53 (basically 185/60s) all round with no probs. If you go for 7x13s be very careful with front offsets.  Also you may, as I do, struggle to get a 20/54 under the front wheel arches.  Rear tyres are much easier.

The challenge for you is to get the rims right.  something with the right offset and clearance for the brakes.  Getting the tyres is easy.

Great idea though. Slicks for track use and save your expensive 888s for the road.

Moleman

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking of going for the 13" wheels. would it be ok at some point this month to try one of your 13" wheels to see if they fit then I will know which sort to get & what offset to look out for etc?
No prob its not possible at this time?

Lucky Ed

You're more than welcome to borrow a wheel or even pop over with your Westy and we'll try them for size, although my offsets (ET38 on Sierra hubs) are probably not right for your car it would be a good place to start. Rob would probably know what offsets you require. PM me if you want to give them a wizz or I might see you at Queens Square on Sun.

Moleman

Thanks. I'm working late all this week & next & prob over this weekend (so won't make this sunday.  :()  so I will PM you in a weeks time.
I think your right as I think mine are ET35.

Lucky Ed

What's 3mm between friends  ;)

Moleman

I now have some 13" wheels thanks to Dave Gallop & slick tyres thanks to Steve Harkness Tyres.

Just got to wait for some nice weather now.  :D  Which may take awhile now  :(

'The Gaffer'

Very nice, bet you cant wait to take them out :)

fullpint

Very slick mate  ;D Just need a mild day at Combe to try em out  8)

stevel

Just goes to show who has got the money!!  You are two steps ahead of me.  I bought some wheels but they need a tidy up.  How much were the tyres Colin and what size did you go for in the end?

Lucky Ed

Pleased to see you got sorted in the end, looks good on the new rubber ready for the fantastic weather we are going to get next year ;D

Westfield Duratec ..... on slicks ..... should be able to keep up with RobP then..... good luck ;D :P 8)

Moleman

Steve. I was lucky about getting the wheels. I was speaking to Dave Gallop on set up advice about different size wheels as I still want to use my 15" 888's if the weather aint good or when slicks ain't allowed & swapping to 13" on slicks if it is? He said that should be fine & as luck would have He was just about to sell some secondhand 13" wheels which fitted ok.  8)
So I went for 13" as Steve Harkness tyres sell good second hand slicks from £20 - £30 fitted each which is much better than about £150 each for 15" slicks. so I got the whole lot for just under £200.  ;D ;D

Ed I would be very happy if I could just keep up with rob for at least 1 lap!  :P :P.

Roll on some good weather. ;D

Krazyken

Colin

I guess you will now be under a 48 sec lap at Llandow next year????? ;D

Moleman

Josh Smith

I am just about to post some slicks in the sale section if anyone is interested