+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Donington Park Race curcuit.

Started by Moleman, 30, May, 2013, 08:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

I'm thinking of booking a trackday at Donington Park race curciut in september & was wondering if anyone who has done this one knows who the best people to book this one with?
I'm hoping to do an open pit setting but this one does seem exspensive up to some. Though i'm gessing as it's an ex grand prix curcuit it might be worth a go?  :D
I was also think of doing a B&B next to it as I didnt fancy a early 2 hour plus drive before a day racing around the track so can you also recommend one with good secure parking?

If anyone can help or give me some tips as what is the best to do on this one your comments will be welcome.
Even if it's a don't bother you did it & found it aint worth the money when you did.   ;D

If it is & you are thinking of doing it again you are also welcome to join me.  :D

Colin.

dave_bence

I've been to Donington five times before and Lucky Ed and I are going there again on June 10th with BHP track days.

It's a fabulous circuit -  not cheap but well worth every penny in my opinion 8)

Be wary of cheap track days at expensive tracks - it usually means lots of entrants which can cause frustrating queues >:(

It's a very fast but flowing circuit, with blind crests, hairpin bends and of course the justifiably famous Craner Curves. If you've only done flat circuits before, the first few laps around Donington will be quite a surprise!

Although it's fast, it does feel safe. As it was a Moto GP circuit, there are plenty of run off areas and gravel traps before you hit anything hard.

I have driven up there and done the track day all in one day, but it's a long and tiring day. I now prefer to drive up the day before and stay locally. I've stayed at the Best Western hotel in Kegworth several times  - they have a large car park big enough for trailers, but you may find a good B&B locally as well.

I say give it a go - I'm sure you'll love it ;D

Lucky Ed

You beat me to it Dave! I can only echo your comments about penny pinching at big circuits, as it is a false economy as an extra £50 on the price of the day isn't much if you're honest about the true cost of the whole outing, if you can guarantee a very well run day with no queues.

I'm going on June 10th meeting DB there, but will be getting up at silly o'clock and going the whole hog in one day as I have to work on the Sunday. It's do-able but it is a very long day and this is about the limit of what you would want to do in one day.

The circuit itself is fantastic and is real eye opener every time you go down Craner Curves :o Some people don't like the GP circuit, thinking the Melbourne Loop is a bit Mickey Mouse, but it gives me a chance to catch up a bit as I'm lacking in the straight line speed department ;D

My daughter is back from Uni and is determined to come along, I don't think she knows what she's let herself in for :o

Give it a go Colin - you'll love it. Dave and I are hoping to do Oulton again this year which is another must do track, we'll give you the heads up if you would like to tag along 8)

'The Gaffer'

I think I'm going to join you guys in June :)

Colin, fancy joining us?

Lucky Ed

BHP have spaces available for a full day but are full for the afternoon.

They also have a pm/afternoon combo which looks interesting as you need to get there for around midday and finishes
aorund 8 o'clock, which gives you nearly as much track time as a full day without the early start - worth a look.

Daley Down Under

Echo everything Dave Bence has said.  BHP are a great company and Donnington is even better.  If you like Combe, you'll love Donnington.  Craner Curves is fantastic.  Dont hesitate - book today.  Dont be tempted to take the cheap(er) option through Circuit Days or Trackdays.

Adrian

Moleman

Thanks for all the feed back guys. It was BHP that I was looking at.  The 10th of june is tempting but I think it may be abit short notice for work etc. But I haven't ruled it out.  :)
If June is out the question then I will book one there very soon.  :D
They do garages there I think? do you have to book them seperately or is it first come job for them?

Lucky Ed

Garages have to be pre-booked and are £20 each or a pair for £30

Mind you they are quite big and I remember we seemed to squeeze about 4 kit cars  in a pair of garages on a wet day.

chrislandy

When I went a few years ago I booked direct with Donnington and got a garage for free so it might be worth contacting Donnington direct and see if they are running any days themselves.

As I trailered mine up I spoke to them beforehand and they put it in their on site secure compound for the night rather than letting me leave it in a carpark at the travel lodge.

There's reasonable accomodation a couple of miles away in Derby, I stayed in I think a travel lodge just opposite Derby Royal Hospital, its at most a 10 min drive back to the circuit and you get the benefits of the town restaurants and a cheap taxi ride into the town centre

robp

I love Donington.  The section from Redgate to Coppice is absolutely fantastic (which is about 2/3rds of the circuit).  Melbourne Loop is a bit dull.  Never been to a day where Roberts is open.  If you are used to flat stuff like Castle Combe then the first time you come around Redgate and see the view ahead, wow...

I have never booked a garage but have always managed to find an empty one.

When I went last year the Noise Police had their own briefing session! :(  I've never had any problems though.

stevel

Just got back from watching bikes and karts at Donnington.  I rode there a long time ago, before kids!, at the Yamaha race school.  Absolutely superb track.  My wife's uncle was racing in the karts which are pretty damn quick round there, his average speed was 118 mph and he is 65 next month, well impressive!  Great day out, would love to drive around it one day.

Moleman

Maybe after Llandow you might want to join me then steve?  :D

stevel

A bit out of my league at the moment Colin!

Grin-a-lot

You'd be surprised - I was useless and span a lot but still had a great day.  Like Rob said, coming round Redgate to see the track open up through Craner curves is something else!

stevel

Just got back from Silverstone from watching the karts there Sunday.  I need to correct my earlier post as top speed is 118mph at Donnington and average is around 100mph - still very fast.  By comparison Silverstone National circuit is fairly dreary when compared to Donnington, it is also not as good for spectators.