+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Single seater day out.

Started by Moleman, 13, August, 2013, 09:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

I have been looking into maybe doing a club Single seater trackday day outing & so far this one seems to be the most value for money.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/experiences/driving-days/single-seater-experience/

Please have a look & tell me what you think? I'm thinking If there is alot of us going we may be able to book it as a club day out with hopefully a corporate discount.

I know some of us may rather be spending the same money driving our own car around the track all day for the same money but this could be good fun for all of us including anyone who hasn't done a trackday & you will be able to drive home with your own engine intact.  ::) :P

What do you think? please be honest? Good idea or not? :)

'The Gaffer'

Looks like fun but could be pricey if staying overnight too. On the other hand could be a great club day out. Next one Aug 21st and it says FROM £159 - I hate that word, FROM >:(

30 minutes briefing on circuit driving techniques
20 minutes: First driving session (with pace car)
20 minutes: Second driving session (without pace car)
15 minutes debrief

YellaBelly

I'm pretty sure that is the one my son did earlier on this year. Not too impressed for the money (21st birthday pressie from us). They had about 10-12 cars on a very short circuit and had a mix of complete 'Sunday drivers' and the guys who had a lot more confidence, but they were only allowed to overtake on a short stretch of track and so spent most of the time line-astern! He enjoyed the experience but was disappointed with the short amount of actual driving time and processional driving. TBH it was a little like a very slow warm-up lap for the FF series :(

Just my opinion though guys ;)

benchmark51

I did formula ford lessons at Silverstone at the Jim Russell school and it was expensive, so much I had to give it up. It was a great experience though and very recommended. It's a car you wear rather than sit in, makes a seven feel like a limo!

'The Gaffer'

paintman

I did a Formula Ford day at Castle Combe a few years ago as a birthday present and thoroughly enjoyed it.......don't
think I would be so impressed after having the Hood for 3 years! ::) ::)

Tony

YZFMINI

These type of days i have found to be a great ideal. But you always come back from them feeling like you did not get enought driving time for the money you spent...

Great for some novices or first timer get the ideal of what it might me like.

But for most of us i feel we might be disapointed and had rather paid to have a trackday to drive our own cars as we see fit..

Not try to put people off but this is my past experience and friends..

Colin..

Grin-a-lot

I did the Formula Ford event at Castle Combe.  I really enjoyed the experience and got a real buzz from it.  I've done it once and because of that (and the cost) I doubt i'd do it again.

It was a real thrill ride and an experience worth having if you can but I don't think I'd make a habit of it.

Moleman

I too was thinking after doing trackdays that I would be wanting more tracktime for my money. I haven't had any responce from anyone who hasn't done any trackdays yet?  :)

Phil I did do that castle combe one & it was good but not enough laps in the single seater though.  ::)

Iancider

I did the Castle Combe trackday some years ago.  I came first in the saloon car in the semi-wet YEEHAH (very smooooooth you see!) - left the track in reverse at about a ton in the Formula Ford - two fast laps and a very fast exit reversing into armco after a 100m slide.  Gained two penny bruises on my shoulder blades.  :o

Moral you drive faster in somebody else's car  ;D 

I learned very quickly that the engine is best behind you in this case.

I did look up that there are a couple of centres that do Ariel Atom experience days and I recall at about £150

paintman

Quote from: Iancider on 15, August, 2013, 10:46:08 PM
I did look up that there are a couple of centres that do Ariel Atom experience days and I recall at about £150

Now that would be fun but I think I would want more than the 3 laps that we got at Combe!

'The Gaffer'

I think the general consensus is that most of us, especially those that do track days, would feel a little short changed doing this type of experience. Shame really.

Now, how about a Formula 1 car experience. I think just one lap in one of those would be very special :o

Sprint 7

Moleman

That could be a good idea Phil? what does anyone else think?  :)

paintman

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 16, August, 2013, 10:05:49 AM
Now, how about a Formula 1 car experience. I think just one lap in one of those would be very special :o

......wouldn't take long at 150mph+ ::) ;D ;D