Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Trackday at castle combe friday 11th oct

Started by Moleman, 07, October, 2013, 08:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

I've been checking the weather & all systems go!  ;D  I have booked another trackday at Castle Combe with Apex trackdays.
It's open pit, 35 cars max, £159 for the day if anyone else would like to join me?  ;D

If not you are welcome to just pop along for a passenger ride which is free.  8)
It's all day 9-5 with an hour for lunch 12.30-1.30 when the curcuit will be closed.

Any one else fancy this?  :D

Edit: Placed correct date in calendar :)

Grin-a-lot

I'm at work in Portsmouth all morning but if I can get back up in time I'll pop over and say hello.

Lucky Ed

Would love to go, but I'm too busy potato harvesting this week ;D

.... but  I am thinking of doing Abingdon next Friday if the weather is OK

Has anybody been to this one? - I've heard it's one of the better airfield circuits

GET 'ORF  MY LAND :P :P :P :P

Moleman

May see you later on the day then Darren. Bring your helmet if you do make it?  :D

Ed I haven't done any airfield curcuits yet so can't help you there mate. I hope the weather will be ok for next friday as well as this one then?  :)

'The Gaffer'

I have done Abingdon, really enjoyed it. It's the only real airfield I've done though if not counting Bedford Autodrome which was brilliant fun.

Moleman

If anyone else was thinking about this one. You will be able to just turn up & pay on the day as there is only about 12 cars booked in. So lots of tracktime for me.  :P

Also good if you haven't done one before & is worried about it being too crowded for your first time.  ;D

fullpint

Wrap up mate.. Gonna be cold and windy but hopefully nice and dry for you.. Hope you have a great day.

robp

Quote from: Moleman on 10, October, 2013, 08:45:17 PM
...... there is only about 12 cars booked in......

Wow, I wish I was available but snowed under at work at the moment. 

I hope Apex managed to breakeven.  I really enjoyed by last trackday with them.

Moleman

Well it was only 15 cars there for the day. It was cold, windy but sunny. I desided to try the slicks.  :D
They went pretty good but I was having problems getting enough heat into the tyres. After a few lock ups & one or two moments with 2 wheels on the grass i desided to try the 888's.

They went much better!  :o 8)  The funny thing was as soon as I had changed them we had a bit of rain but nothing too bad.  ;)
It soon dried up though & I started to put the hammer down again.  8)
I gave quite a few passenger rides but by 3pm they had all gone & all that was left was Me, a mate of mine in his citroen & I nice guy with a R1 7 kit Car. his was kitted out really nice, Built mainly for trackdays & very tidy.  8)

So from 3-5 it was just us.  :o by about 4 me & the R1 went out together not to race but see how well matched they are?
It is fair to say we were very equally matched. I led & he kept a good safe distance behind too see if he could catch up? We pretty much stayed at the same distance for the whole time.  8)

Though I did end up doing my best lap while we did this! (though we was not timing our selfs at ant point of course!) My best used to be 1.22 sec's it's now 1.18.6 sec's  :o 8)
After 4.30 he went in so I stayed out until they finally flagged me in.  ;D

Can't wait to try out the slicks on a hotter day now, & I'm happy to say the car oil problem has been well & truely solved.  :D

fullpint

Sounds like you had a real good day Colin.. Guess you did not plough the inner field today? :D :D :D :D
Was the R-1 quicker going into and out the corners but lacked puff on the straights?
As for those slicks!!! Lets hope we had a summer spell for you..

Lucky Ed

Pleased to hear you had a good day and the weather held out OK, sounds like great fun with so few cars.

I had trouble getting heat into my rubbish T1R's at Pembrey in the damp, until Asboman recommended dropping the tyre pressures as low as 10psi to get some heat into the carcass. I chickened out and tried 12psi but it worked a treat and even managed to scuff the tyres up a bit - I might wear them out yet! What pressures are you running your slicks at? I start at 14psi cold and that seems to be about right in cool conditions.

Your times are getting alot quicker, have you found any of those missing horses ??? ;D

Moleman

Rob = Apex didn't seem to be too worried about the lack of cars, though they did ask me to see if I knew of anyone else who may like to go? They do alot of them on various curcuits so I too hope it will be fine as they do a good trackday.  :)

Steve = I couldn't say mate. only the fact it was the usual concertina effect going around the curcuit. & no ploughing this time mate.  ;D

Ed = I normally run at 16-18psi. & that seems to work for me but I never thought to lower them on cooler days? I will give that a try next time, so thanks for the tip.  ;D
I have nearly sorted out all the horses now mate. There is one more thing i can try over the winter which involves get a better manifold to a more flowing one, rather than one with sharp bends. I need to get my silencer repacked so I could get it all done at the same time.
To be honest though I'm so pleased on how much faster this engine is I'm not in a rush to do it.  ;D