+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Abingdon trackday

Started by Lucky Ed, 06, December, 2013, 08:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

Myself and Dave Doom had a cracking day today at Abingdon. We were both newbies at this track and I must admit it's the best airfield venue I've been to. The circuit is set up to be quite quick with a couple of chicanes put in to slow it up to keep it safe and the surface is really good compared to other airfields. Dave had a couple of lessons which was a shame as he needs slowing down not speeding up ;D

The weather was cold but fine and dry so I was able to run slicks all day but it was quite difficult to get heat into the tyres, Dave's 888s seemed to be best in the cold conditions. I had the added bonus of my daughter turning up for her first trackday experience, taking a short break from hard student life from just up the road in Oxford. I could hear her screaming over the noise of the car for the first lap or so but after that she really enjoyed the experience and can't wait to come along to a proper circuit.

A great day out and well worth the drive, It comes highly recommended for all you speed freaks ;D 8)

Moleman

Glad it was a good day mate. Wish I could have gone. Sounds like one to put on next years dairy.  :)

Krazyken

Lucky, I agree Dave Doom takes some time to get there (8 years and counting!!!) but once there he is very impressive with his speed on track, his little Onyx is also amazing in what it will do. 

Abingdon is a great airfield circuit and the closest to Colerne which sadly like so many venues has now been lost to motorsport.

I didn't realise you had a daughter, she has clearly inherited her glamour from her mother!  :o :o :o

Moleman

Ed. It is also not wise to put a picture of her on here. YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL WITH A WALNUT ON THIS SITE!!!!  :P :P :P :P

Lucky Ed

Colin, don't let looks deceive you she's a very feisty young lady and quite able to fend you lot off ;D

....and on top of this she's a petrol head too - I might get her driving yet  :o 8)

Moleman

In that case Ed, She is welcome to a ride in mine next time we do a trackday mate.  ;D
If she's not driving yours by then?  ;D

'The Gaffer'

Glad you enjoyed the track, great venue I recon for a club get together sometime.

benchmark51

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 08, December, 2013, 04:59:21 PM
Colin, don't let looks deceive you she's a very feisty young lady and quite able to fend you lot off ;D

....and on top of this she's a petrol head too - I might get her driving yet  :o 8)

Think I recognise her, It's the Stigs sister! :D :D :D

Moleman

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 09, December, 2013, 09:24:56 AM
Glad you enjoyed the track, great venue I recon for a club get together sometime.

That aint a bad idea. I will add it to my list of things to do for next year.  :)

Lucky Ed

Good idea guys, it would be good to have another club trackday other than Llandow, and an airfield day might be more appealing to newbies or people that a bit apprehensive about a full blown circuit day.

Moleman

There doesn't seem to be a direct number to Abingdon airfield in regards trackays. I will try a few companys that do trackdays there.  ::)

Lucky Ed

We went with Motorsport Events the other day and they run a really good day with no idiots. Try speaking to Natasha as she knows us regulars, especially Dave Bence and Krazyken as they have been using them for a few years, and might be up for a club discount. I know they have used Abingdon several times this year.

Moleman

Thanks Ed. that was the people I was going to try. but it helps to have a name & menion people they may know.  :)

Krazyken

I believe that Motorsport Events are the only ones who organise a track day at Abingdon.  In the past when I have organised a group booking with MSE their deal is that if you get 10 takers then the organiser goes free or subject to a minimum of 10 each person gets 10% discount.

Well worth doing if you can get 10 together as Abingdon is now the best airfield circuit in the South West.