Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Club trackday at Abingdon.

Started by Moleman, 11, December, 2013, 08:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

For trackday nuts & people that would like to try their first one.

Motorsport events are happy to have a club event at Abingdon airfield.
I'm told it is a fast but really wide & plenty of wide flat open fields so really safe for a first time trackday & plenty of quick straights nice corners for the regulars.
It comes recomended by some of our regular track nuts & motorsport events are a good friendly bunch that run a good day.

Details = It will cost £129.     plus £20 if you want a extra driver & £10 per passenger.
              It would start with a briefing at 9am then 3 seasons to start with to familiarise yourself with the track, then open pitlane for the rest of the day, finishing at 4.45pm.

There is a maximum of 48 cars so there should be plenty of tracktime.
I will need to get a minimum of 10 cars for one free leason for everyone from a expert to show you better lines & show you how to do it right.
(sorry no discount for more than 10 cars anymore) 

Date = Friday 4th April 2014

Who is up for this? The more the better. Tell a friend. ;D

If you rather I book it later in the year please let me know as date is not confirmed yet.

'The Gaffer'

Me please.

Definitely a good safe track for beginners, it would be nice to see people who want to have a go for the first time. There will be a lot of help on hand.

Lucky Ed

Count me in please, but the 18th April may not be ideal as it is Good Friday - maybe a week earlier might be better for most, it certainly would be for me ;D

dave_bence

Moleman

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 11, December, 2013, 09:43:08 PM
Count me in please, but the 18th April may not be ideal as it is Good Friday - maybe a week earlier might be better for most, it certainly would be for me ;D
Ok. I will probably do the friday before then. Cant confirm this until dates are posted. We can do august if this is too early for other people?  :)

Ok thats four of us so far.  :)

Anyone else?I will need more for a group booking?

Krazyken

Dare I take the MGF on track?  What do my friends in the club think?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Krazyken on 12, December, 2013, 10:28:52 PM

Do it Ken, you know it's really safe there. Be great to see you at a track day again 8)

Grin-a-lot

I doubt I'll be able to make this one but would have loved to.

If anyone is considering then an airfield is a great place to start - loads of room and surrounded by people you know so it'll make a fantastic day!

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Krazyken on 12, December, 2013, 10:28:52 PM

It would be great to see you out and about again Ken, and I think the car would be more than up to it

........ plus the fact I miss the banter ;D ;D ;D

Moleman

That's a shame grin-a-lot.  :( may be next time?  :)

Go on ken. You know you want too! ;D

Grin-a-lot

Quote from: Moleman on 13, December, 2013, 11:10:10 PM
That's a shame grin-a-lot.  :( may be next time?  :)

Almost definitely, I can't agree to this one until at least Feb due to unknown work commitments but if places still happen to be available then i'm sure it could work out.

I think Ken should take the MG - get back on the horse when you fall off etc!

Moleman

Ok. Dates still to be confirmed yey but maybe either 11th or 25th April.
     1, Moleman
     2, Lucky Ed
     3, The Gaffer
     4, Dave Bence

KrazyKen & Grin-a-lot    (maybe)

Anyone else? come on guys! :D

robp

Moleman

Ok. Dates still to be confirmed yey but maybe either 11th or 25th April.
     1, Moleman
     2, Lucky Ed
     3, The Gaffer
     4, Dave Bence
     5, Robp
     KrazyKen & Grin-a-lot    (maybe)

Ok thats all the normal trackday nuts! Which means as well as a free expert to show you how to do it right you will also get another 5 people to help you out over the whole day. So this is the best opportunity for anyone who hasn't done one & is thinking about it, to give it a go.  ;D

Robp do you want to ask your mate if he is up for it?  I will ask some a few of my mates that came on our Llandow trackday last june. :)

Grin-a-lot

A former neighbour has nearly bought and Elise so I'm attempting to bring him into the club too - he might be interested in this as he's keen to get on track.

Moleman

That would be good Darren. The more I can get the better it will be for a club booking.   :D

Iainl

Put me down as a maybe, but it's weather depending
Cheers
Iain

Moleman

Ok Iainl, but for the group booking we will need to pay up a few weeks in advance to get the club booking, I should know in Janurary when they should have some dates for me.  :)

'The Gaffer'

This circuit is great in the rain :)

Grin-a-lot

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 19, December, 2013, 11:06:53 PM

For those with a roof and heater perhaps..!  :P

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Grin-a-lot on 20, December, 2013, 08:51:29 AM
Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 19, December, 2013, 11:06:53 PM

For those with a roof and heater perhaps..!  :P

Lets not forget the heated seats :P :P

'The Gaffer'

Thought I'd post this video to show how much safe space you have on this track. There is plenty of room for faster and slower cars to pass with ease. Note the huge run-off, no hitting the armco barriers here.

Airfield days are not about racing each other, in fact that is strictly not allowed - They are all about getting to know your car and bettering your own times and skills, that said lap timing is not allowed either ;) It will be an open pit lane, that means you can spend as much or as little track time as you want. Banter in the paddocks is a big bonus to the day.

It does not matter if you are much slower than some other cars (Like me) all you need do is let them pass. These track days are all about fun, not competition and considering if we get the numbers up, there will be a free tuition session for each driver so it represents great value for money.

This will be a great safe way to have a first go at track days and who knows the bug might bite as I have seen happen to a few club members. So come on, get your names down this could be a great club event.

Sound Limit
The strict rule at Abingdon is 100dB(A) at 0.5 metres and at 4500 rpm, for motorcycle engine cars we require this to be 3/4 of maximum rpm. Additionally cars that rev over 7500 rpm plus rotary type engines and V-tec type engines will also be tested at 3/4 of maximum rpm. Those that are worried about this can get together one day at Castle Combe for free sound testing and possible solutions from Merlin Motorsport on the same site by way of an additional slip on silencer. I'm sure a few of us can be be around to help with this. Most cars should not have a problem.

stevel

Put me down as a maybe at this stage.

'The Gaffer'

So who have we got so far?

1,   Moleman
2,   Lucky Ed
3,   The Gaffer
4,   Dave Bence
5,   Robp
6,   KrazyKen    (maybe)
7,   Grin-a-lot    (maybe)
8,   Grins mate  (maybe)
9,   Iainl            (maybe)
10, Stevel         (maybe)

TimC

Very tempting - but not sure she'll be finished.

Moleman

Keep us posted tim. It is a good safe trackday to start with. We will also have Llandow in June if you are not quite ready in April.  :)

garry h

As Ive never done a track day before could you tell me what is needed car wise to have a go.
Might seem a daft question but dont want to turn up and look to much of a newbie  :P :P :P :P :P :P

'The Gaffer'

Garry. All you need is a safe car which is roadworthy. It has be quiet enough to pass the sound test. Apart from that you will need a helmet (You can usually hire one if you don't have one) Any clothing is ok as long as arms and legs are covered. There will be help on hand on the day so nothing to worry about.

I've seen all types of car on track so you font have to drive an all out performance car.

Give it a go 8)

Moleman

Gary. It really depends on what car you are using for a trackday. Like Phil says The first thing you would need is a helmet. though most trackday venues normally hire them out if you dont have one.
Another good thing would be fuel.
As for the rest I take spare wheels & tyres depending on weather conditions, tools, oil etc. but to be honest for your first one, if you bring spare fuel, a helmet, oil you will be able to borrow tools etc from us 5 regulars, though in most cases you normally never need them.  :)

You thinking about it then mate?  :)   

Grin-a-lot

I tend to take:

Fuel
Oil
Spark plugs
Misc fuses
Spare lengths of wire
Car jack
Socket set
Multimeter and crimp set
Cable ties
Spare fuel/water hose

That tends to rescue most issues I've encountered in my Westfield (I don't have a trailer so need to be able to drive it home).  Part of building your "first aid kit" depends on what you know your car's problem areas are.  Anything else is a beg/borrow/steal job!

stevel

Gary

Even newbies like me in a slow car can have fun.  It is not a race and you just let the fast boys past, which in my case is just about everyone.  The best part about a BKCC day out is that you can rely on everybody to help you out and take the p*** out of you at the same time.  What more could you ask for??  Like Grin a Lot, I have to drive my car there so it is tools, fuel, oil, helmet and driving license.  There is always somebody to lend a hand if you need it.

Colin - Are the dates set for Abingdon and Llandow?

Moleman

Stevel = I wont have dates for Abingdon until the new year, As soon as motorsport events know they will let me know. It will be on a friday & I'm hoping for maybe the 11th.

The Llandow one should be in June. Krazyken should be arranging this one for us.  :)

TimC

Quote from: Moleman on 23, December, 2013, 08:04:23 PM
Keep us posted tim. It is a good safe trackday to start with. We will also have Llandow in June if you are not quite ready in April.  :)

I will do.  It's a lot safer than what I have planned for it!

Krazyken

Just to let you all know, going with the 2 x CKC/Omex Llandow track day this year at Llandow so no dedicated BKCC day in June.  If you want to do a great club track day this Abingdon track day is the one.

Iancider

Colin,

I am very likely to do this having watched the comments.  I too will need to drive there and back and I am hoping to have full rain-gear by then.  Engine and gearbox are begining to loosen-up so its feasible to push it now.  I will go firm when you have dates.

Thanks

Ian

TimC

Put me down - I'll bring the MX-5 if worse comes to worst.

(Better buy some decent pads as I'll smoke the ones I've got in a lap!)

Moleman

Sorry guys I'm still waitng for dates! I have contacted them a few times but they still don't know.  ::)

Lucky Ed

Colin - Just had a look at the MSV website, and it says they give 10% discount on the entire booking for club bookings, on a minimum of 5 places and they throw in a garage for free to be based in. Seems pretty good to me and might be of interest for a future event especially for those that want to try a day at a proper circuit such as Oulton or Brands.

Might be an option for later this year 8)

Russ H

Yes I would be very interested in this please. Thanks Russell

'The Gaffer'

So who have we got so far?

1,   Moleman
2,   Lucky Ed
3,   The Gaffer
4,   Dave Bence
5,   Robp
6,   Timc
7,   Moleman's mate (peugeot trackcar)
8,   Moleman's mate (citroen trackcar)
9,   Moleman's mate (honda trackcar)
10. Russ H
11. Camber Dave

12,   KrazyKen    (maybe)
13,   Grin-a-lot    (maybe)
14,   Grins mate  (maybe)
15,   Iainl            (maybe)
16,  Stevel         (maybe)
17,  Iancider      (maybe)

Anyone else? It is a good safe track for anyone who hasn't done one before?