Club trackday at Abingdon.

Started by Moleman, 11, December, 2013, 08:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

Thanks Ed. I will look into this.  ;)

wacky

Hi

Sorry didn't see this until the email today.

I'm interested in this, I have done events before with MSE (Huluvington & Keevil etc), I've not done Abingdon.

Cheers
Tony

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: wacky on 11, January, 2014, 10:48:14 PM
Hi

I'm interested in this, I have done events before with MSE (Huluvington & Keevil etc), I've not done Abingdon.

Cheers
Tony

Hi Tony and a warm welcome to our club. Look forward to catching up with you and I know you will enjoy Abingdon. I'm sure Colin will add you to the list soon.

Please feel free to tell us a little about you in the intro section if you feel like it..

R1james

Hi I would love to come along with my locost but I fear it will be too loud.  As some of you may vouch for I will use the works decimal reader on Monday to test it....does anybody know where I should stand ie how far away and in which position to test.   I know I have to take to 8000 revs and it screams..  Thanks :o

Iancider

Okay - I'm up for it  and just need the dates.

R1 james - I think I can help.  I have just done this for the IVA.    In open-air - you need to be 0.5 metres away from the exahaust and 0.5m above the ground but out of line with the exhaust draft so that it does not blow into the microphone and cause a false overload reading.  Use the windshield if you have one.  Set to dBA for the correct frequency weighting and set the revs at 4,500 (for the IVA it is only 3000).  Strangely induction noise is not measured so it could be quite loud on the other side.  :D Colin has just advised that race day mufflers are possible but he will have to advise you on those.

Lucky Ed

Quote from: R1james on 11, January, 2014, 11:20:24 PM
Hi I would love to come along with my locost but I fear it will be too loud.  As some of you may vouch for I will use the works decimal reader on Monday to test it....does anybody know where I should stand ie how far away and in which position to test.   I know I have to take to 8000 revs and it screams..  Thanks :o
Hi James, Most noise tests are taken at 0.5m away, but they normally stand with the tester at about 45 degrees to the outlet. Your BEC will be tested at 3/4 max revs (probs 8k as you say) but other guys have said that induction noise can be a problem and end up routing the exhaust out of the rear of the car to get round the noise test.

As the Gaffer has said before, if you can get your car to a trackday at Combe, they are happy to do the test for you when they're not busy.
If it will pass there it will pass anywhere 8)

fullpint

James I have given up trying to get my BEC below 105db but it can be done. AB airbox will do the trick unless your running the stock R-1? Re-pack the end can before the test..

Iainl

James I managed to get my Aries Locoblade down to 98dbA, it was originally well over 100, after repacking the exhaust and fitting a AB Airbox got it down to around 103dbA then brought a 6in dia exhaust box and got down to 98dbA, but after a couple of weeks had it tested before a track day and it had crept back to 100dbA but the allowed me on the track.

I highly recommend getting down to Castle Combe and getting it tested their as they are very helpful and the equipment they use is calibrated, I originally used a meter from work which was over reading by 3-4 dba.  Just give the track a call and check someone will be there to check it.

Cheers
Iain   

Moleman

Quote from: wacky on 11, January, 2014, 10:48:14 PM
Hi

Cheers
Tony
Hi Wacky, welcome to the club.  You are most welcome to join us on this one. As Phil has said it would be nice if you tell us a bit about yourself, what you are driving? maybe even put up a picture of your car?  :)

Hi James. I even had noise problems with my new engine. I was over the limit with my Duratec.  :o It turned out I needed a bigger silencer as I was getting back pressure issues anyway. So I ended up getting a repackable one, which always means I can put more in it to meet noise regs, then take it out the next day.  :D

So who have we got so far?

1,   Moleman
2,   Lucky Ed
3,   The Gaffer
4,   Dave Bence
5,   Robp
6,   Timc
7,   Moleman's mate (peugeot trackcar)
8,   Moleman's mate (citroen trackcar)
9,   Moleman's mate (honda trackcar)
10. Russ H
11. Camber Dave
12, Wacky
13, mskinner - Not April 11th
14, mskinner s mate - Cobra. - Not April 11th

15,   KrazyKen    Going but not tracking
16,   Grin-a-lot    (maybe)
17,   Grins mate  (maybe)
18,   Iainl            (maybe)
19,  Stevel         (maybe)
20,  Iancider      (maybe)
21,  R1james     (maybe)

Anyone else? It is a good safe track for anyone who hasn't done one before?

Westiebusa

Hi Guys,
I'm interested and would like to bring an extra driver, but it all depends on the date?
Ade

Moleman

No probs Ade.  It should be either 11th or 25th april. still waiting for conformation.
We haven't herd from you in a while. Nice to here from again.  :D

So who have we got so far?

1,   Moleman
2,   Lucky Ed
3,   The Gaffer
4,   Dave Bence
5,   Robp
6,   Timc
7,   Moleman's mate (peugeot trackcar)
8,   Moleman's mate (citroen trackcar)
9,   Moleman's mate (honda trackcar)
10. Russ H
11. Camber Dave
12, Wacky
13, mskinner - Not April 11th
14, mskinner s mate - Cobra. - Not April 11th
15, Westiebusa + extra driver

16,   KrazyKen    Going but not tracking
17,   Grin-a-lot    (maybe)
18,   Grins mate  (maybe)
19,   Iainl            (maybe)
20,  Stevel         (maybe)
21,  Iancider      (maybe)
22,  R1james     (maybe)

Anyone else? It is a good safe track for anyone who hasn't done one before?

Westiebusa

Been busy with work, and developing a dry sump system for mine i'll post some picks hope to have it running this weekend the complete system will hopefully only cost about 400/450 so seeing people like extreme engines want 1400 for a system it will hopefully be bit of a saving!! ;)

chris61

if I have a car ( hopefully by end of the month) then I'm in

Moleman

Ok Chris. I'm still waiting on dates at the moment. Abingdon are really dragging there heels on releasing dates.  ::) :)

Moleman

OK. 4th April it is then! 8)

I will give you the details tomorrow on what to do. I'm guessing just book in & say your from B.K.C.C. I will ring natasha to comfirm so we get our free tuition for the day.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Iancider

Iancider is a definite YES.  April is quite early for good weather so we must hope it is all rained-out by then.  It looks like a really good turn-out.

Moleman

Ok. Club trackday at Abingdon is on 4th April.  8)
It is in excellent condition, has lots of top quality tarmac and is sure to be a firm favourite on the track day calendar. The track design has a great mix of corners, using the huge amount of space available and long straights with speeds in excess of 100 mph possible in most cars. This is a fantastic venue, not to be missed by any enthusiastic driver!

The strict rule at Abingdon is 100dB(A) at 0.5 metres and at 4500 rpm, for motorcycle engine cars we require this to be 3/4 of maximum rpm. Additionally cars that rev over 7500 rpm plus rotary type engines and V-tec type engines will also be tested at 3/4 of maximum rpm.

To book either go to  http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/abingdon.php & fill in the form on line (not forgetting to say your from B.K.C.C. for your free tuition lesson).  :)

or call the hotline number 0844 873 6075 & book it by phone.  (not forgetting to say your from B.K.C.C. for your free tuition lesson).  :)

It's £129 for a drver,  £20 for extra driver & £15 per passenger.

Plese dont delay as it's a first come first serve bases.  ;D

Please let me know when you have done this? Thanks.  :D

Booked so far = 1, moleman.

Lucky Ed

I've booked ;D

Booked so far = 1, moleman.
                          2. Lucky Ed

Moleman

ANYONE ELSE BOOKED YET? PLEASE DON'T LEAVE IT TOO LATE?

Iancider

I'm booked Yehhh! and I'll bringing another driver soon to be a new member!

Moleman

Quote from: Iancider on 11, February, 2014, 08:38:53 PM
I'm booked Yehhh! and I' bringing another driver soon to be a new member!

That good news Ian.  :)

Anyone else booked yet. Please don't leave it too late!

wacky

I'll try and book in the next few days, I need to check how much wadding there is in my silencer, and see how much scope there is to make it quieter.

I've only had a chance to drive the car about 10 miles since I bought it in November, which is rather sad.

Also no roof, so it had better be a dry day!!!

:)

I did notice that MSE are at Castle Combe on the 1/3 which is a Saturday, so an ideal chance to nip up and get the car noise tested in just a couple of weeks time.

Moleman

Niceone Wacky. Castle combe normally will test your car for you on a trackday if your nice & friendly, though i have known them not too on rare occasions. If this happens speak to the MSE & tell them your going to abingdon with us & they should give you a slip to get it done.  :)

TimC

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to back-out.  It looks like my only working vehicles will be a Series 3 Landy and a Freelander XDi.

Moleman

Anyone else booked for this yet guys? :)

TimC

Quote from: Moleman on 17, February, 2014, 07:51:57 PM
That's a real shame Tim, Maybe next time?  :)

I will try - hopefully in the kit.

Moleman

Anyone else going to book this then? :)

'The Gaffer'

Booked so far =    1. moleman.
                         2. Lucky Ed
                         3. The Gaffer
                         4. Iancider + extra driver
                         5. mskinner
                         6. dave_bence
                         7. Paul
                         8, Delboy. Gaffers mate
                         9.? Who will be next?  :D

Moleman

Can Delboy contact Motorsport events to let them know he is from the club as he is the only one missing on their list that's says he is part of our group? They didn't have all of you guys down but they do now except Delboy as I didn't know your real name. Sorry mate. 
Thanks Colin.

Still spaces left if anyone else is up for it? 8)

Moleman

I only need two more people for this now! come on guys who else would like to try this? ;D

chris61

im waiting on a customer to pay me this weekend, if he does i'll book Monday as i'll be able to afford a day off

wacky

Hi

I'm a bit iffy for this now I'm afraid, as 4th April is the last day of my radiotherapy at the BRI and they've brought the appointment forward to an earlier time.

Tony

Moleman

Quote from: chris61 on 14, March, 2014, 10:50:34 PM
im waiting on a customer to pay me this weekend, if he does i'll book Monday as i'll be able to afford a day off

OK Chris. Don't forget to put on the form you are from B.K.C.C.  :)

Quote from: wacky on 14, March, 2014, 11:17:10 PM
Hi

I'm a bit iffy for this now I'm afraid, as 4th April is the last day of my radiotherapy at the BRI and they've brought the appointment forward to an earlier time.

Tony

No problem Tony. I hope it all goes ok for you mate?  :)

Moleman

Anyone else would like to see what their car can do then?  8)

Moleman

Only a week to go! There is still room for more people to join in?  8)
It's a good one to start on with plenty of run off area. So what you waiting for? :D

Moleman

I know Edd is working his socks off to get his ready as we speak, is everyone else ready for Friday then?  :D 

If anyone would like to come along & see what track days are all about then please feel free to pop up. There will be plenty of us to give you a ride round too if you fancy it?  8)

The post code is OX13 6JB if you are.  8)

dave_bence

Quote from: Moleman on 31, March, 2014, 08:04:08 PM
I know Edd is working his socks off to get his ready as we speak, is everyone else ready for Friday then?  :D

Yep, I'm good to go. The car has had its usual winter service - all fluids and filters renewed, two new cam belts and all suspension nipples greased. I've also replaced both outer CV joints, as I found a crack in the inner race of one of them :o

Really looking forward to Friday ;D

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Moleman on 31, March, 2014, 08:04:08 PM

If anyone would like to come along & see what track days are all about then please feel free to pop up. There will be plenty of us to give you a ride round too if you fancy it?  8)

The post code is OX13 6JB if you are.  8)

I would be working my socks off but I still haven't got my pistons back yet :o

The guy doing the job is not happy with the depth of the pockets, so he is taking them down a bit further and has promised them for late tomorrow. A mate who is helping me out is coming on Friday, he's a good lad and is keen on getting a kit for track days as he feels his R1 is a bit risky now he's self employed, so if you see him hanging about please give him a ride if you can. He'll be driving mine as well as I think if he hasn't killed himself at Combe on a bike he should be ok in a slow old car ;D

It's going to be a close run thing but I'm confident I'll be there 8)

Iancider

Well done Ed,

Happy to give you friend a ride if he feels I am safer than an R1!

Ian