Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Club trackday at Abingdon.

Started by Moleman, 11, December, 2013, 08:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

Edd, everyone is welcome to ride with me. It helps to have someone push me back on the track.  :P

Lucky Ed

Colin - I'd bring my plough for you to use, but I've broken that as well ;D

How many are confirmed for Friday?

Moleman

Thanks Ed.  :)
We have only 8 in the end, but we should still be able to get the free tuition I hope.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Moleman

We had a cracking day today it's a shame more people didn't take it up, but maybe next time.  :D Motorsport event's Did organize a good enjoyable friendly day.  8)

Sorry Ed couldn't make it but I hear he got it sorted by midday which is good news.
There was 7 of us in the end & we all had near a incident free day with only a minor repair on one of the cars where something came lose.  :D
Iancider & his son Crash test dummy (I think) did there first track day & got on really well.  ;D

Here is just a couple of pictures at the start of the day. I will post more as well as a video after the weekend.

'The Gaffer'

Not much to add after Colin, we all had a cracking day and it was nice that Motorsport Events still gave us the free tuition, which was great, even though we didnt quite get the numbers up.

Only 3 pics to add, part of our little group, our member Paul came very well equipped in this very nice van and my mate DelBoy on his first trackday in his VW Scirocco, which for a standard road car suffered no brake fade at all after many spirited laps :o 

I can highly recommend Abingdon and hope more people come to the next one.

Unlucky Ed didnt quite mange to fix his car for the day, but theres always next time.

Lucky Ed

Gutted I missed the trackday today, I just ran out of time getting the engine set up after the rebuild, as the valve timing is really critical and didn't want to run the risk of further damage. I used the time I had to get it all up and running properly which I did by lunchtime, but I've still got a problem with the starter as it's not really man enough to turn it over with the extra compression.

I hope you guys all had a good day out, I'm thinking of going to Combe on the 25th April if anybody is interested

Iancider

A Great day at Abingdon and the weather cooperated.  No breakages, no ploughing but I did have a bit of gear trouble until I discovered  by clutch cable had re-adjusted itself -soon fixed with Colin's help.  Only one car meets immovable object event - fortunately not one of us.  Colin and I both thought it was a drifing event momentarily but it added to the fun.  Out-ran and AMG Merc which was fun but couldn't stay near Colin.  It was sad that Ed didn't make it the end and we hope to see him on the track again very soon.

Photos by Crash Test Dummy (new member) soon to appear on the Forum a video will follow later. 

Iancider

As promised here's the video - the sound should return by about 13:00 today - You tube problem.  Best viewed in 1080p if your computer will run it.

Iancider

And...here is the outtake - oops :o

Lucky Ed

Nice videos Ian, very honest of you to post your spin. It's quite a difficult corner to get right, I found best to turn in late and then make sure you hit the apex, get it pointing up the runway before gunning it - defo slow in, fast out 8)

Still gutted I missed the day though :'(

Moleman

I did something very similar there too mate. It took me a while to work out the same thing about what Ed says about that corner. I always ended up going wide there until I worked out to go in much slower there.  ;)

Iancider

I went in too hot and braked while turning.  That put all of the load on the front offside and the back lifted.  It went so fast that I could not counter-steer.  Lesson there was to go in on a much bigger radius and keep the power on - it seemed ridiculous but the runway was about 70 metres wide at that point so it just looked stupidly wide but a lot faster.  but even then there was so much loose surface that the grass seemed to rush up very quickly on occasions!

Colin had slicks but when he got back in they looked like they were pebble-dashed.  The car was full of chippings at the end of the day so I think the track could have done with a sweep on that corner.  Perhaps I need Colin's horsepower and then I could have drifted out of it in a plume of blue smoke. :P :P :P :P :P :P

Hell it was a lot of fun! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Moleman

I have a few pic's from my go pro camera.

I have just been going through the video footage & the bad news is all my footage apart from one of them must have been set on a time delay or something as I only got the start or finish of each season I had done.  >:( :(
I would have liked to show you guys the only real mistake I made when I came out on cold tyres & span the car sideways just before the first straight but managed to keep the momentum going & straighten it up & keep going.  ::) :o :D

On a good note the one footage I do have almost all of you guys who took part in the track day are on it.  8) 8) Some are on out laps & some are on their warm down laps but I will try to put it up at some point this week.  ;D

Moleman

Here is my only surviving video. It does have most of you guys who went from the club on it.  ;D

Moleman

Sorry it's a bit shaky. It's not done that before. The circuit really wasn't that bumpy. ???  ::) :D

'The Gaffer'

Iancider

Moleman

Thanks guys.  :)  I did do a very quick shall I? Shan't I on that move mate.  ::) :) The guy in that yellow westy had only bought it a week before the track day so it was all very new to him.  :)

garry h

Nice driving Colin was there anybody you didnt overtake  :D :D

Iancider

QuoteNice driving Colin was there anybody you didnt overtake

Yes, himself..... but it was close.  ;D

CC Cyclone

That looks like you had a lot of fun, shame I couldn't get the cyclone ready in time. Roll in Llandow :D

Moleman

Thanks guys. There was a few other cars out there that was also very quick. To be honest if Dave Bence had I camera on his car then he would also have a lot of footage of him overtaking everything.  8) & Paul in his Mev was going really well too.  ;D
There was a Ariel Atom there that was very quick along with some orange Japanese thing that was really fast in a straight line.

paul

Hi All,
Thanks for allowing me to come along with your group booking.  :)

My first airfield day so wasn't quite sure what to expect, but an enjoyable day and would go back as something different to a 'normal' trackday at a circuit venue.
The space allowed me to gain more confidence with powering through the corners without worrying about the runoff.

I've managed a video allowing Colin past and then sticking with him for a couple of laps, as you can see with a bit of heat in the tyres and with clear traffic we gain over 5 seconds a lap...

Regards,
Paul

[Sorry, seems I cannot embed the video, so click the thumbnail to link to my site; make sure you click the HD option in the bottom right of the video to select the best quality!]

Moleman

That was nice to watch Paul.  8) Most of my video's didn't work for some reason? I never knew what sort of lap times I was doing so I know now.  ;D  I said you was quick.  ;D
What were you using to video it? I like the two forward & backward views was it two camera's you had & how did you get the map up as well?

'The Gaffer'

Yes good footage Paul. We must all do another day there it was a really good day out.

Iancider

I like the video technique as well Paul - hope you have got the fuel starvation problem sorted now.

paul

Thanks for the comments.
I'd be up for another day as it's closer than meeting you all at Llandow ! (although see you in May with CKC/Omex ?)

Video is from a Race Technology Video 4 unit http://www.race-technology.com/video4_2_7539.html

I have two bullet cameras on the rollbar, one forward and one rear.

It links to both the Dash2 and DL1 (with GPS) so I can log all sorts of data and create an overlay on the video. It's a bit over the top for my needs but it's a nice integrated system.

The trackmap uses Google data, for the proper tracks I tend to just use an outline, but I thought for the airfield the map was quite good as it gave placement of the runway.

I simply record all the data logging and video onto a CF card and then load up the analysis software at home and add a lap marker. I can then see how I progressed in the day and export laps to video.

I can draw laps based on speed for instance; blue is slowest -> red fastest;

I'm going to put up a post about the fuel starvation issue if anybody has any ideas...

Thanks,
Paul

'The Gaffer'