Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

CKC/OMEX trackday 17th May 2014

Started by mr tone, 04, February, 2014, 02:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

stevel

Really jealous, I will miss the annual pilgrimage to Llandow.  Enjoy yourselves and be safe.

Lucky Ed

I'm gutted I can't make it too - just too busy at work, but I suppose it will pay for the next track day ;D

Have a great day guys 8)

Self Made Man

Hope you're all enjoying the brilliant weather out there!

I would of loved to come, but just got back from work now :( But at least I still get the afternoon outside i suppose lol

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Self Made Man on 17, May, 2014, 01:46:00 PM
Hope you're all enjoying the brilliant weather out there!

I would of loved to come, but just got back from work now :( But at least I still get the afternoon outside i suppose lol
You could always come and say 'Hi' at the Riverside Keynsham this eve where a few are meeting ::)

8)

Moleman

Cracking weather & a cracking day.  8)  But I must say it didn't go smooth for me today. I blame Ed!  >:( If he was there then it would have been him with the problems.  ::) :P

It started off in the first season with me taking avoiding action by totally miss judging someone breaking hard at the chicane when I came up behind them. It was completely my fault but not much harm done I ended up taking a different route to the normal one but hit a cone breaking my already cracked cycle wing.  :-[ Which you will see on here at some point as the guy behind is a member & has the whole thing on film.  :-[  ::) :)
Lucky enough I have a spare set as I not long replaced them due to cracks in the old pair. So after 10 mins I was up a running again.  8)

I had a good season after that which was great. Then complete power failure on the next one.  ??? After some searching & a lot of help from our club members, A trailer that is a working platform we found the wire that caused the problem & blown the fuse.

So back to it again running really good & when I came into the pits only to find the replacement cycle wing was completely split.  ::) It was already cracked when I out it on & it was just the wind speed that helped it on it's way out to destruction.  ::)
So on with the last remaining spare which also has cracks in it.

But it lasted the rest of the day & the car went really well. I had a great time on track & with the other guys from the club. Well worth the odd problem to challenge us.  8)

PS please come to the next one Ed so I don't get your luck.  :P

Moleman

Oh yes I forgot to add I also lost the internal workings of my left rear indicator. It must have fell out on track some where?  ::) ;D

Lucky Ed

Sorry to hear about your mishaps Colin,at least it wasn't as bad as last year :o

It sounds like you guys had a great day with perfect weather. Did anyone use the oh s**t lane this time?

Thanks for the invite to the next one Colin, but I've decided that from now on you can have all the bad luck :o :P

Moleman

No one that I saw used it Ed. but a 3 wheeler did end up up side down. They are going to ban them from that circuit now.
but yes not complaining after last time.  :D

jeffw

Had some great fun yesterday in the very nice Welsh sunshine.

Car was going very well....right up to the point the gearbox gave up. Mission now is to get the gearbox fixed before next weekend (Crystal Palace and Goodwood!).

Iancider

I had a great day too.  Good to experience Colin driving on his fastest lap of the day and to witness Jeff W's awesome Phoenix.  And on top of that seeing the legenday Asbos on action. 

Moleman had a hard time with all of his breakages but coped brilliantly with all of them - even total power loss didn't stop him for long. 

I had a breakage at the end of the day that sent me off in a spin and I didn't discover till I got home that I had a broken Anti-roll bar (again!).  From my video clips (to apear soon) I can see and hear when it happened and it took me off at the next corner.  Oddly it felt like something amiss on the rear left hand but it was front right hand breakage and it locked down the front LHS suspension but I still got home on it so all's well that ends well.

It was a great day with good humour and perfect behaviour from the top guns among the rookies - varying from rosket propelled to Postman Pat!

jeffw

Pleased people had a good time, certainly the Westfield repair looked a mission.

Did anyone get any shots of my car at all?  Apparently it has large flames out the back so I'm wanted to see if anyone captured that.

Moleman

Hi Jeff we never seem to be out at the same time so I didn't get any shot of you. Sorry mate.
Your car is really fast on acceleration mate. but it does look a handful taking it around the corners though you seem to handle it quite well. I'd say it was nearly up there with the Asbo's for speed.  8)
There was another one similar to yours which always caught me at the end of the straight but I would leave him behind going around the corners only for him to finally catch me up at the end of the straights. I don't think I would have done the same with yours though. You would have definitely passed me.  8)
I also had a battle with I think was the same Raw Striker but he did get me in the end. He had an edge on me with acceleration & I had a edge with cornering speed.  8)

Hope you get it all sorted in time. I just got to get 2 new cycle wings & a indicator.  :)

jeffw

The other Phoenix is 220BHP compared with 400 in mine.  The ASBOs have higher corner speed with the slicks on but it normally evens out against my higher PWR.

CC Cyclone

New callipers and shocks on order.....  :(

We had a good time despite the sideways braking at the end of the straights  ??? We will be back  :)

paul

Quote from: Moleman on 17, May, 2014, 09:01:48 PM
It started off in the first season with me taking avoiding action by totally miss judging someone breaking hard at the chicane when I came up behind them. It was completely my fault but not much harm done I ended up taking a different route to the normal one but hit a cone breaking my already cracked cycle wing.  :-[ Which you will see on here at some point as the guy behind is a member & has the whole thing on film.  :-[  ::) :)

I'll take that as a request to post the clip of Moleman finding a new route for the chicane then!  :o

I'll get some video laps up later..

Nice to meet up with everyone in Llandow, we had some excellent weather and I really enjoyed the day, thanks to everyone involved.

Moleman

He braked so hard I was really wasn't expecting it.  ::) :D I also thought I would get that cone out of the way for you Paul.  :P

Quote from: Iancider on 18, May, 2014, 11:39:26 AM
I had a breakage at the end of the day that sent me off in a spin and I didn't discover till I got home that I had a broken Anti-roll bar (again!).  From my video clips (to apear soon) I can see and hear when it happened and it took me off at the next corner.  Oddly it felt like something amiss on the rear left hand but it was front right hand breakage and it locked down the front LHS suspension but I still got home on it so all's well that ends well.

It was a great day with good humour and perfect behaviour from the top guns among the rookies - varying from rosket propelled to Postman Pat!
My new one is working really good mate. I would get one from them. It was from Siltech. Give Dennis a call he is very helpful. You can also borrow my old one if you like & I still have the jig if you want me to get yours welded?

'The Gaffer'

F*** Me Colin. That looked close to a collision there :o Maybe not so close in the car?

Great film footage there Paul and Jeffw that is a nice set up you have.

Really sorry to have missed this day, even as a spectator :(

Moleman

It was close Phil. If I didn't clear the cones out of the way for Paul I would have hit him. It don't look that bad from my footage. I will put it on here tomorrow. Just down loading it now.  ::) ;D

Bulldog Bri

Yeah, I'd say you were lucky as well there mate, think you took the better of the 2 choices... Cones or car ??? any damage to the nose?

8)

Moleman

I just hit the cone with my wheel mate the cycle wing was the only casualty.   :)

Iancider

Here is a long clip posted for Crash Test Dummy - a whole session on the circuit - his first outing in his own car.  Watch him catch me up at the end and find we were quite well matched.  I had more power and he had more grip on the corners.

jeffw

Have a look at around 10.10 ......big flames 8)

Makes you realise the speed differential during one of these days.

Iancider

Did spot those flames Jeff and the tyre smoke too.

My apology that I didn't say hello - I didn't realise who you were.  I'm uber impressed with the car!

You passed me [on full throttle] at one point and I though I was in reverse!

Iancider

Colin,

Thanks for a great ride - it was utterly impressive.  You should know I felt completely comfortable at all times although I was at time struggling with the G forces.  I am going to post my Helmet Cam footage tonight and it is pretty impressive to watch. 8) 8) 8)

Now the next bit.  I know you have a sense of humour and there was a funny side looking back on it and hope you laugh at it now. :D

So here goes....

benchmark51

Quote from: Iancider on 19, May, 2014, 07:00:46 PM
Colin,

Thanks for a great ride - it was utterly impressive.  You should know I felt completely comfortable at all times although I was at time struggling with the G forces.  I am going to post my Helmet Cam footage tonight and it is pretty impressive to watch. 8) 8) 8)

Now the next bit.  I know you have a sense of humour and there was a funny side looking back on it and hope you laugh at it now. :D

So here goes....

Just a thought but have you considered attaching the cycle wings with zips rather than bolts? Be a lot quicker to replace them. :D :D :P :P

Moleman

Thanks Ian.  ::) :P

I really didn't expect him to brake that hard, I definitely under estimated him taking it that slow. we were in the next one down from expert class. That said is was all my fault.  8)

Here it is from my car.

Bulldog Bri

Ouch!

8)

Iancider

Not so Colin! 

But for your skill and reactions he could have provoked a good hard ramming.  He was way out of his class! >:(

You saved his butt! ;)  I guess he thought it was a turnstile -not a chicane! ;D

jeffw

It was only your avoidance which kept the two cars apart....well done on that.

jeffw

Quote from: Iancider on 19, May, 2014, 06:50:32 PM
Did spot those flames Jeff and the tyre smoke too.

My apology that I didn't say hello - I didn't realise who you were.  I'm uber impressed with the car!

You passed me [on full throttle] at one point and I though I was in reverse!

You are very kind.  I was looking for victims err....passengers to take round but no one was keen.

jeffw

No mention of our 3 wheel brethren trying out for the red arrows (or orange arrows at least)?

Iancider

So here it is my 8 minute thrill ride with Moleman filmed on Helmet Cam so that you experience the G forces.... view in 1080p if you can you may need to pause it at the beginning to give it time to load.

CC Cyclone

I'm still on old school technology I'm afraid. Photos kindly supplied by Ian Stent.

Krazyken

Colin

Nice piece of avoidance and a "Royal Wave" from the cycle wing to acknowledge the cheers from the crowds.  Nice touch! ;D

Moleman

Thanks for your thoughts on my little come together guys.   ;D   Nice video Ian.  8)

Hope you get the brakes sorted soon CC Cylone. The pictures look good though. Your misses has good taste in helmets too.  :P

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Moleman on 19, May, 2014, 08:19:46 PM
I really didn't expect him to brake that hard, I definitely under estimated him taking it that slow. we were in the next one down from expert class. That said is was all my fault.  8)

One to chalk up to experience there Col, you were both very lucky.

Great footage of the day chaps, really cheesed off I had to miss it now.

jeffw

Iancider

Here's a bit of drama.  This is what happens when your front ARB breaks and locks down the suspension.  :( At first I thought it was just the "nut behind the wheel" and kept driving and it wasn't until much later that I discovered what had happened.  Not only had the tie-rod snapped but the whole ARB had inverted and clamped the front LHS suspension solid.  It was no wonder it felt a bit wonky!  It happened exactly where Colin played skittles with the cone - the chicane is now known as the Bermuda Triangle! :o

CC Cyclone

It is interesting seeing the videos and realising just how stiff other cars are compared to the Cyclone at the moment. It has been used as a road car all it's life and understandably set up to absorb the bumps but just looking at the photos shows quite a lot of body roll, compared to the striker for example and I could certainly feel it on the day. The AVOs are corroded and the adjusters won't shift and so it's getting a set of protechs. Any body any experience with them?

Ian, not so sure I will go to your extremes of locking the front end up though :D

I had forgotten how a quick blast around a track brings with it a credit card bill of upgrades....

jeffw

This is the view from the Striker I was chasing