+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Track Day Castle Combe Mon 14th April

Started by Lucky Ed, 06, April, 2014, 10:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

To make up for my disappointment for missing the Abingdon event, I've booked for a day out at Combe next Monday with BHP. It won't be a cheap day but they don't run many cars so I should get loads of track time, as well as giving my mate Jamie a good day out. He's given up loads of his time for free in helping me with my car, and seems hooked on this kit car idea - I think we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the future 8)

If anybody has money burning a hole in their pockets, and has some free time, feel free to come along 8)

I failed to make Abingdon as I didn't get the bits back until Tuesday night and ran out of free time to get it back together properly. The guy that pocketed the pistons for me wasn't happy with the clearance he had first time (he dummy built it in an old block he had lying around!) so he re-did them taking the extra day. I well chuffed with the results, and I am now confident that the cam timing can be swung a bit if I ever get it back on the rollers, you never know I might even get a bit more out of it yet :o

Iancider

Well done Ed for bouncing back so well.

I absolutely have to work on Monday 14th or you would have had a supporter - sorry would have loved to the MAC in action.

Regards
Ian

Moleman

I would love to join you mate but Llandow will have to be my next one now.  :(
Hope it all goes well mate.  :)

Lucky Ed

I had a great day today at Combe. The weather was fantastic but the day full and pretty busy with quite a bit of queuing manly due to shunts including a rolled 205 - not pretty :o The main object of the day was to shakedown the car after the latest upgrades and to give my mate a day out in thanks for helping out with the rebuild. Combe is a bit daunting for your first track day but Jamie went really well, and improved a lot after a lesson in the afternoon. The engine developed a small oil leak out of the cam seals which is easy to fix, but the main problem was the oil temp that was going off the scale after about 6 laps, so it's project oil cooler next :o

Iancider

Good news Ed,

You project is always getting close to the end but not quite getting there - good luck!

Ian

Moleman

Good to hear it went ok Ed. I had to put a Oil cooler system in mine which made a real difference.
It was really easy to do as well.  8) I even made an air scoop to suck up some clean air for the oil radiator.  :)

robp

Glad you had an incident free day.  Combe is great fun when the Sun is out.  8)

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 14, April, 2014, 10:39:26 PM
..... so it's project oil cooler next :o

My oil temperature used to get quite high on a good trackday.  I also fitted an oil cooler which sorted the problem.  I fitted my oil radiator in front of the water radiator which worked fine.  I also fitted an oil thermostat which helps bring up the oil temperature when the engine is warming up.

Lucky Ed

Quote from: robp on 16, April, 2014, 08:44:11 AM

I also fitted an oil cooler which sorted the problem.  I fitted my oil radiator in front of the water radiator which worked fine.  I also fitted an oil thermostat which helps bring up the oil temperature when the engine is warming up.

I'm going to stick mine up front as well as I have the room, my only dilemma is which way to mount it, it could go horizontally in front of the base of the rad, as normal, or it could be mounted vertically to one side as the rad is offset. This would give free flow of air but would lose any benefit of the fan. Size is the other thing to consider, I'm looking at a full width (285mm) 13 row cooler (about 100mm deep) with 1/2" pipes - is this going to be big enough as the oil temp was getting above 140 C :o

Thought and ideas appreciated ;D

PS   Has anybody had any experience of the push type fittings :-\. It's going to be a lot easier to use these as I'm going to need a remote filter and thermostat, so it's going to be a lot of fiddly pipework.