Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Pembrey trackday Sat 27th Sept

Started by Lucky Ed, 23, August, 2014, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Lucky Ed

I've booked to do Pembrey with Motorsport Events on the 27th Sept. It's a great little circuit in South Wales, and well worth the drive. I think Dave Bence will be going, anybody else fancy coming along?

Moleman - you could give it a try to see if your car will turn left as well as right ;D ;D ;D

dave_bence

Thanks for reminding me Ed 8)

Just booked and paid ;D

It's a very challenging and enjoyable circuit, hope to see a few more members there.

Moleman

Iancider

Well I am getting addicted to supporting you guys - I think I may be able to make this one (SATURDAY 27th September)

I would encourage others to come along if you can even if you are not actually going on the track.  Its a good chance to top-up your testosterone and do man-stuff.  I think there are a few newer members out there who might enjoy a taster!

Regards
Ian

Lucky Ed

Wednesday??? surely some mistake :o ;D

It would be great to drag a few more bods along, it's a great little circuit and always a good day out.

Ian - Could be a good place to give you car another airing... what do you think :-\

Iancider

Correct Ed I was derranged at the time! - Now corrected :-[

Iancider

Breaking news - I'm booked in  :o 8) :P  and I think there will be another....

Smudge, Damouk - you know you've got to!

Lucky Ed

Nice one Ian 8) Give me a shout if you need me to take any gear over ;)

Any more takers?

Moleman

I will book it very soon. Just got to wait on tyres.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Moleman on 03, September, 2014, 08:08:25 PM
I will book it very soon. Just got to wait on tyres.  :)

Try Brunel Tyres. Banner at bottom of page. Great prices for BKCC members. Unless you are looking for slicks that is.

Moleman

Yes it's slicks mate. Steve Harkness is on the case for me so shouldn't be a problem.  :)

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Moleman on 03, September, 2014, 08:21:24 PM
Yes it's slicks mate. Steve Harkness is on the case for me so shouldn't be a problem.  :)

I've done well getting them of ebay. Winter is the best time as I've got them for as little as £10 each ;D
I try and keep a spare pair in stock - especially with my track record :o

steve c

Just booked pembrey sat 27 see you all there

Moleman

mittaw

As a new member I'm looking forward to getting down to some track events when our car is finished.  We've got the steel arriving next weekend to start fabricating the back end.  Just out of curiosity I'm presuming the cars have to be iva and street legal for this.  I'm just wondering how we test a new car before iva.  I presume find someone with some private land? We'd hate to build a car that while passes iva (said optimistically) but then drives likea bag of bricks.

Enjoy the track day gents..... will be there soon(ish)

Iancider

Mittaw,

Glad you are looking forward to the thrill of speed.  Prior to completion, spectators and passengers are very welcome - all you need is a helmet (or hire one on the day) and about a tenner fee to the organisers.

Pre-IVA testing is always a problem.  You are allowed to drive directly to your IVA test on the day even without registration plates but with insurance.  Most people avoid the insurance problem (getting harder to get it pre-IVA) by going on a trailer.  Pre-testing is very wise because there are many reasons to fail an IVA.  Private land is good for testing and something like a disused airfield is perfect.

You need to be very attentive to the IVA manual if you are building from scratch.  Make sure all of your accessories are E marked components, lights are in the right places (complex)  seats meet the regs (buy only IVA okay or use car seats).  Sharp edges anywhere in a pedestrian impact zone are forbidden and you need good radii in the passenger compartment in the sensitive areas.  Seat belt anchorages get close attention and things like seat mounting security.  Lots of small points can fail you - fix everything very securely, touch nothing that is hot or liable to get hot, secure loom with full fusing.  Fuel piping has to be against the British/Euro standard. If you have a windscreen then all of the regs there apply - wipers etc.  Oh yes and exhaust emissions.  Kits are tested to the lower standard so it is easier but it does mean high Road Tax due to the class.

I've done an IVA and so have a few others so draw on use to pass a critical eye over it - ideally at the planning stage when it is easier to change.  Have you thought about a crude mock up in wood and cardboard to prove things like seat and light positions.  Also copy a lot from solutions that are known to work - the whole industry does it.

Good luck
Ian

mittaw

Ian, Thanks for the advice and we very much welcome an eye on our project as we progress from those that have been there before.  We are preparing a prototype of the eventual car using second hand parts that are cheap and our own manufacturered components.  This will test the car and so when more advanced we'd very much appreciate an eye over from yourselves.  We're looking closely at the iva manual and given its a replica we're linking up the actual car bodywork etc to the manual as best we can.  Perhaps we can trailer the car down to a meet for opinions.  Once we're happy we'll finish the build as 100% new bar the engine.  We're posting progress on the build section of the forums so sorry to hijack this post. 

And yes can't wait to get it on the track!!!

adam7

Just booked.... Fingers crossed for some sunshine  :)

Iancider

Well done Adam - it should be a great day.  By rights it should be dry because we have already had two years rain so far this year!  See you there.

Ian

Pilgrim Anna

Lucky Ed

Good to have you on board Adam. It looks like being a good turn out for BKCC. I hope the weather holds up until then, but even if it doesn't the circuit is close to the sea and showers seem to pass through very quickly. The surface is quite abrasive and one of the grippiest when wet - unlike Combe :o ;D

Going so far...........

1, Lucky Ed
   2, Dave Doom
   3, Iancider
   4, Moleman
   5, SteveC
   6, Adam 7

Any more takers?...............

Iancider

Well at last I have my new wheels.  Tyres fitted and balanced today and I went out for a test run - Wow!  The 888's are better than I expected.  They are much more grippy even when cold but the steering was lighter and more precise - I was expecting heavier.  Having much more air between me and the road has given a tremendous improvement in the ride too - it feels like a hovercraft now! [But no on corners that is  :P ;D]

Looking forward to making them hot on the track.

Yeehah!

'The Gaffer'

Moleman

How long have I been telling you to get them!!!!! See told you they make a difference.   ;)

Lucky Ed

Well done Ian 8)

All we need now is for Moleman to upgrade to a large racecar transporter, to haul all of our kit around ;D

Moleman

I would say If I win the lotto then but then I thought I could buy a different car for each circuit & trash it at the end so there is no need for a transporter.  :P

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Moleman on 12, September, 2014, 09:10:39 PM
I would say If I win the lotto then but then I thought I could buy a different car for each circuit & trash it at the end so there is no need for a transporter.  :P

That's it, just think of yourself Colin - the trouble is we will still need somewhere to make the tea ;D ;D ;D ;D

alastair

Quote from: Moleman on 12, September, 2014, 09:10:39 PM
How would you get home if you did that? Or would you have your personal helicopter pilot pick you up and take you home?

Moleman

Got it in one Alastair.  I would offer to give you guys a ride home but you got to get you cars home. See Ed I'm thinking of you guys.   :P

'The Gaffer'

Booked :)

Will be a bit of a shake down for the new car so I will try to stay out of your ways ;D

Lucky Ed

Nice one Gaffer, It'll be good to see the new Cyclone 8)

Going so far...........

1, Lucky Ed
   2, Dave Doom
   3, Iancider
   4, Moleman
   5, SteveC
   6, Adam 7
   7, The Gaffer

Moleman

Come on Rob & Alastair you know you want too.  :P

robp

Quote from: Moleman on 15, September, 2014, 08:31:01 PM

Yes, I definitely want to go. 

Unfortuately, I have something else on that weekend.  :( :( :( :'(

I hope you guys have a good time.

'The Gaffer'

Thats a shame Rob.

Going so far...........

1, Lucky Ed
   2, Dave Doom
   3, Iancider
   4, Moleman
   5, SteveC
   6, Adam 7
   7, The Gaffer
   8, DaveH
   9, Hoobahole

Lucky Ed

Quote from: robp on 16, September, 2014, 11:27:45 AM
Quote from: Moleman on 15, September, 2014, 08:31:01 PM

Yes, I definitely want to go. 

Unfortuately, I have something else on that weekend.  :( :( :( :'(

I hope you guys have a good time.
That's a shame Rob :(

Have you had any more thoughts about Cadwell?

robp

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 16, September, 2014, 01:32:23 PM

Have you had any more thoughts about Cadwell?

Yes.  Would love to go to Cadwell soon.  I'll put some details of the Cadwell thread. http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=3451.0

Moleman

Moleman

I might stay over the night before so I don't have to get up so early.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Moleman on 17, September, 2014, 09:21:27 PM
I might stay over the night before so I don't have to get up so early.  :)

Yes forgot how far away it is, about a 2 hour drive. There for 8am, thats an early start.

Daley Down Under

Hi all,

Shame I cant join you for this one.  I love Pembrey.  Just a quick post to let you know that a friend of mine (Andrew Lowe) will be there with his blue Noble (which he trailers behind a black range Rover).  He knows Dave H well.  Pop over and say hello - he's very friendly.

Cheers Adrian