Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Pembrey trackday Sat 27th Sept

Started by Lucky Ed, 23, August, 2014, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

'The Gaffer'

Would have been nice to see you there Adrian. Bit of a trip though :)

Will definitely say hi to Andrew.

Daley Down Under

Thanks Phil - hope the Cyclone goes well.  Looking forward to reading the write ups and seeing the photos/videos

Cheers Adrian

Moleman

Hi Adrain with any luck we will all be parked together. There was a blue Noble from our club at the Easter Compton show at the start of the month. I'm wondering if it is the same guy?   :)

David H

Its my birthday on Saturday so I have been talked into coming!!

Its been a mad couple of years, renovating a house myself, running a busy business and having a baby. Crazy.

The M3 hasn't seen a lot of action so I think its time to dust her off!

Phil will be bringing the 'neck snapper'. For those of you who haven't seen the cyclone move yet, you will understand its new name. It is pretty darn fast. It made me laugh when I drove it as I was not expecting the thump when the turbo kicked in. Phil knew it was coming but I wasn't prepared, the next gear was needed faster than I could move my hand to the steering wheel!

To anyone with the 300bhp version..... there is noooo way that power could be planted without some stained pants. Respect.

Go easy on me on the track lads, its been a very long time, I've never been to Pembrey and I'm getting old so I will be taking it easy. :D

Hello to all I have not seen for ages and hope to see a few of you on Saturday. Hello Adrian, its been too long! Andrew is a true gent and one of the most enthusiastic car owners I know. Look out for that Noble at Pembrey.

Iancider

It will be good to see you there David. 

I may be one of he more cautious drivers and I may be giving hand signals and letting people out at junctions  ;D

Moleman

Hi Dave. Last time we meet was at a track day at combe on your birthday. Looks like we will be making a habit of it then.  8)

Lucky Ed

It'll be good to see you again David, I think the last time was when you broke your anti-roll bar at Donington

I'm sure you'll be taking it steady for all of a couple of laps, then normal service will be resumed ;D

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Moleman on 25, September, 2014, 07:00:28 PM
Hi Adrain with any luck we will all be parked together. There was a blue Noble from our club at the Easter Compton show at the start of the month. I'm wondering if it is the same guy?   :)

Hi Colin - I don't think so.  Andrew's Noble has been in the garage since its outing to Spa and Zolder earlier in Sept.

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Quote from: David H on 25, September, 2014, 09:37:53 PM
Its my birthday on Saturday so I have been talked into coming!!

Its been a mad couple of years, renovating a house myself, running a busy business and having a baby. Crazy.

The M3 hasn't seen a lot of action so I think its time to dust her off!

Phil will be bringing the 'neck snapper'. For those of you who haven't seen the cyclone move yet, you will understand its new name. It is pretty darn fast. It made me laugh when I drove it as I was not expecting the thump when the turbo kicked in. Phil knew it was coming but I wasn't prepared, the next gear was needed faster than I could move my hand to the steering wheel!

To anyone with the 300bhp version..... there is noooo way that power could be planted without some stained pants. Respect.

Go easy on me on the track lads, its been a very long time, I've never been to Pembrey and I'm getting old so I will be taking it easy. :D

Hello to all I have not seen for ages and hope to see a few of you on Saturday. Hello Adrian, its been too long! Andrew is a true gent and one of the most enthusiastic car owners I know. Look out for that Noble at Pembrey.

Happy Birthday Dave (what a great present).  We've just booked a trip back to the UK (June 2015) so will catch up with all of you then.  Cant see you taking it easy somehow - Pembrey is just excellent (esp double lefthander across the access road).

robp

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 25, September, 2014, 11:24:45 PM

Pembrey is just excellent (esp double lefthander across the access road).

Ah yes, that double lefthander. That's where it went wrong for me at my last visit to Pembrey.  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D
Best learning to walk before you run through that one.

Also, enjoyed flat through Woodlands bend too.

Gutted I can't make this one.  However, I've just seen the weather forecast and it looks like it going to be bone dry for you.  At my age I only enjoy it when things are wet!  :P ;)

Lucky Ed

Ah yes, that double lefthander. That's where it went wrong for me at my last visit to Pembrey.  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D
Best learning to walk before you run through that one.

............but you have to admit, your diffuser made a rather a good job of cutting the grass :o ;D

robp

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 26, September, 2014, 11:35:00 AM

............but you have to admit, your diffuser made a rather a good job of cutting the grass :o ;D

Ah, I wondered what that thing was for!  :D

Daley Down Under

Rob - don't worry.  If there's no pictures it never happened  :D

Moleman

Dave h I bet you will be flying within a few laps. It's my first time there too so plenty to learn for me aswell.  :D

So robp What's the best way to take the double left hander then?  :D

Iancider

QuoteSo robp What's the best way to take the double left hander then?

Err....LEFT then LEFT      not    LEFT then STRAIGHT ON  :D

Lucky Ed

LUCKY ED STRIKES AGAIN :o

All was going well until................

That got my attention rather quickly, it actually broke at about 90mph having hit the brakes at 110, but I had very little steering and next to no brakes until it dug into the grass and came to a halt.
I'm still unsure what let go first, the upper wishbone ball joint or the lower wishbone bracket on the chassis, what do you guys think. It's a shame as I was being so gentle with Iancider for a couple of laps before the incident.

Still a fantastic day out and a great turnout by the BKCC. I'm sure there will be many more stories, pics and videos to follow 8)

Moleman

It was a good day. Big turn out from our club. I didn't take any pictures but a few videos was done & I was behind you when that happened & see what footage I got. :)

Krazyken

EEK!!  Great that you came gently to a halt in a relatively straight line, but worrying that you don't know the cause?

Lucky Ed does indeed strike again but much better to end like this rather than in the barriers.

Bulldog Bri

Scary stuff. :o Lucky you weren't on a sharp bend ???

8)

'The Gaffer'

I think you were right when you said the brakes now out spec the car Ed.

Big shame that happened but at least you were ok.

Moleman

Here is a little video of the day. Sorry Ed I didn't get your off due to battery went flat.  :)

Iancider

Ed,

Sorry that this spoilt you day and your excellent car.

I have analysed your video frame by frame and I believe the top swivel went first.  It was a very sudden snap, just after you started braking and changing-down,  the top of the wheel went out and forward but 7 frames later it swung back in for just one frame.  And that one frame I believe shows it was the top swivel that broke.  The lower wishbone would have twisted under the torsional braking load.  The wheel kept rotating throughout - no lock-up or you would have been steered to the right.  Further damage was done at the end of the skid - I think there was concrete under the grass where the tarmac ended - you can hear and see the collision with the underside - especially in SloMo.  If it is okay with you I can upload the video SloMo.

Best wishes, Ian

Lucky Ed

Thanks for that Ian, I've come to the same conclusion myself. Having stripped it down today it looks like the top ball joint was quite worn and popped out under load, the rest of the damage followed that, and as you say, the worst coming just as the car came to rest - the wishbone was buried deep into the grass.

I was quite worried about damage to my expensive Raceline sump, as I didn't think being dragged down the track with the weight of the car on it would do it too much good, but it only has minimal scrapes on the bottom so it's tougher than I thought. The steering rack as been pulled rearwards, but is an easy fix, and I'm obviously going to need some new shocks, so this winters upgrades are coming early. I will be phoning MAC1 Motorsports tomorrow to see if I can get some new wishbones, preferably already rose jointed to save hacking new ones about. I've got off very lightly on the damage front, and am very pleased that all my previous fabrications stayed intact, it might be agricultural but it's strong ;D

It would still be great to see it in slow mo. if you can do it, and all in all it's not a bad outcome as I would dread to think what would have happened if had been following closely behind someone, as I would have certainly hit them up the backside. I also notice I had my hand on the handbrake, as I distinctly remember thinking it wasn't stopping quite as quickly as I hoped :o I will post some more pics of the damage/progress when I get time.

Iancider

QuoteIt would still be great to see it in slow mo.

Ed as requested SloMoBeLow

Iancider

Here is a vid of my experience.  Some glimpses of others passing me!

dave_bence

Having seen the slo-mo, I'd agree with Ian that the ball joint was the initial failure on Ed's car.

It's a shame your day ended like that Ed, but as others have said, it's fixable and thankfully you're OK. I'll be changing all my front ball joints this winter :o

My day was a great success. I really do enjoy the Pembrey circuit. It was rather busy on track at times early on, but thinned out as the day went on.

I had Eddie from Dynamic Mouldings double-driving my car. He thoroughly enjoyed himself. He's pretty quick around a track - especially Castle Combe, but he now rates Pembrey very highly. Ed and I also introduced him to the compulsory track day diet of burgers, chips, crisps, chocolate and coffee ;D

With Eddie's and Ed's help, I finally got the hang of the double left-hander - a much smoother and faster line through it, resulting in greater exit speed, which nearly led to me running wide at the next corner :-[ Thankfully, I kept it on the black stuff.

We used a lot of fuel between us, but the car never missed a beat all day. I even bought a crib sheet with all the answers to the usual "what is it?" and "what's in it?" questions, which was handed out several times :D

I'm hoping to do at least one more track day this year, but I don't have much holiday left. I really want to get back to Donington again, preferably on the GP circuit, but if not, the National circuit will do. I've got a busy October ahead, so perhaps a weekend track day at Donny in November?

David H

Awesome day, really enjoyed getting back on track for some tyre melting abuse.

Ed - fair play, you're attitude towards the event was pretty cool.

Gaffer - gutted. Pissing nightmare when it goes down like that.

I absolutely loved Pembrey, it is one of my favourites now for sure. Very lairy indeed. Suited the M3 better than I expected.

Great crowd, nice to see some old friends and made some new ones. ;D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: David H on 29, September, 2014, 11:39:16 PM

Gaffer - gutted. Pissing nightmare when it goes down like that.

Nice to see you at a club event again mate :)

At least I managed about 5 laps before an oil leak and smoke stopped play.

Lucky Ed

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 29, September, 2014, 11:44:46 PM
Quote from: David H on 29, September, 2014, 11:39:16 PM

Nice to see you at a club event again mate :)

At least I managed about 5 laps before an oil leak and smoke stopped play.

Have you had time to find the source of the leak yet Phil?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 29, September, 2014, 11:53:08 PM
Have you had time to find the source of the leak yet Phil?

No sadly not had the time yet Ed. To see the area of the engine where the oil is coming from means cutting an inspection hole in a panel behind the seats and that is not a 2 minute job. I am hoping it may be just a split or loose breather hose rather than a blown turbo or similar. Hopefully have some time soon to take a more detailed look :(

Daley Down Under

Phil - hope its not too serious when you final get in there to have a look

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 30, September, 2014, 11:00:23 AM
Phil - hope its not too serious when you final get in there to have a look

Cheers Adrian

Cheers Adrian. The whole car filled up with smoke, it was pretty scary actually, I thought the car was on fire :o

CC Cyclone

Phil,
Got the new rad in mine in record time and all up and running again and so car is back on the road, happy to call over and lend a hand if you need, or if you just need another turbo car to poke around hose install etc.

James.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: CC Cyclone link=topic=3444.msVGg36708#msg36708 date=1412098258
Phil,
Got the new rad in mine in record time and all up and running again and so car is back on the road, happy to call over and lend a hand if you need, or if you just need another turbo car to poke around hose install etc.

James.

Cheers James that's very kind, I appreciate that. Will drop you a PM.

Lucky Ed

A bit more video, DynamicEdd asked for a few clips of him driving.

More of the same stuff, but there are some interesting attempts at drifting by the Beemer in front of me, the very quick Westie was showing his frustration at the slow white kit - I let him and the VX220 hassle him and then nipped through, and there are some bits of Eddie driving Dave Dooms Car, very well indeed I must hasten to add 8)

'The Gaffer'

Moleman

Iancider

I have to admit it looks so much better with four wheels  ;)