News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Cadwell park track day

Started by Iancider, 28, August, 2014, 10:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

robp

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 04, July, 2015, 10:02:11 PM
I clocked Rob on a 99.5% unhindered lap at 1:43.25 !!!

Couple of questions Rob if you don't mind, what engine do you have and if you are using a GoPro how are you getting such a good engine noise and such little wind noise pls mate? I really struggle with that on my car.

I wish I'd known people were timing; I'd of tried a bit harder.  ;D ;D

The car runs a stock Duratec (std. cams and head) with throttle bodies.  I have been considering various upgrade options, but to be honest, it is great as it is.  8)

I know what you mean about poor sound quality at speed.  I have an external lavalier microphone located under the dash near the transmission tunnel (hence some gearbox noise).  I've run a lead up the rollbar to the GoPro.

Facial Hair Optional

Interesting, I never thought of that. May give it a go as your sound is miles better than mine. Just waaaaaay too much wind noise on my GoPro.

'The Gaffer'

From a slightly different angle. HD and full screen it and watch a couple of laps from 10.30. Think I would feel much safer in a car :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=674&v=0vyA5QQ_928

Iancider

I was getting concerned with the one inch gap between knee and rumble strip in the kerbs!

Ian

sanzomat

Quote from: Iancider on 06, July, 2015, 06:53:51 PM
I was getting concerned with the one inch gap between knee and rumble strip in the kerbs!

Ian

I agree. Whats the point of having knee sliders if you leave an inch gap! ;)

Moleman

Very big thanks to Bulldog Bri for getting me some really good prints of my pictures from Cadwell Park.  8)

Bulldog Bri

Your welcome Colin. ;D and anyone else wanting some prints done let me know.  :P

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: robp on 05, July, 2015, 05:56:34 PM

I know what you mean about poor sound quality at speed.  I have an external lavalier microphone located under the dash near the transmission tunnel (hence some gearbox noise).  I've run a lead up the rollbar to the GoPro.

I have an original gopro hero and it doesnt seem to have an external mic jack socket so that's that great idea down the pan. May have to invest in a newer gopro

Iancider

There is another possibility - a digital sound recorder.  This needs to be secured under the dash out of the wind and set to auto-levelling.  Before putting it there switch on and start the camera.  Clap your hands in front of the camera - this gives you a synchro point for sound and vision.  It works well but this methods does presume you have some video software to dub-on the sound.

Another wheeze is to mount the camera with its solid back on the nosecone.  There is loads of conducted engine noise there and virtually no ancillary noise and little wind noise.

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Thanks for the great ideas Ian. I have also tried it with a skeleton back fitted and taped up one half of the holes in the back (the side furthest away from the exhaust outlet). This did improve things a bit but there was still too much wind noise for my liking.

I can mount the gopro nearer to the exhaust but then as it has to be on the roll bar all I get is the back of my head (not a pretty sight!)

smudge

Just watched some of the video footage on this one, wow so jealous!!

Looks like an amazing track, Bumble would love it!!

Fingers crossed for next year  :D

Moleman

Don't worry mate we are definitely going there again next year. 8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 28, June, 2015, 08:34:40 PM
I wont be as quick as Rob but here is a sample of the day. PS Robp one of my tittles was followed a friend around until I lose him & I now realise I should of added at the end that I found him.  :P Sorry about the last bit mate.  ;D

Just watched this Colin, I laughed my bloody legs off at how you waved to the beemer that span in front of you!! Very funny mate!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Colin, I see both you and robp have duratec westies, how do they compare on power etc mate?

Moleman

If you look closely mate I had to duck because the BMW was spraying grass all over me at that point.  ::)

Our westys are very close mate. I have a little more power but Robs is slightly lighter & doesn't have the windscreen to slow him down.
And he is better than me at track days but I can almost keep with him now.  :D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 23, July, 2015, 07:06:48 AM
If you look closely mate I had to duck because the BMW was spraying grass all over me at that point.  ::)

Well he shouldn't be smoking weed while he's driving should he, isn't that illegal???  :D

It looked an awesome day out I have to say. Hopefully next year I will be there with you learning the ropes. Not sure in what car yet tho as am still undecided on what direction to take on that front. The Tiger will be gone for sure so it will depend what happens between now and then.

As it stands I can see me selling everything to buy a proper fast bit of kit like yours and a trailer! Driving fast on the road is ok but as I've got older I have calmed down a lot and realised the risks more and more, it kinda puts you off a bit. Besides there is only so much you can do on road conditions, it ain't like it was back in the late 70s early 80s when I used to race my Lotus all over the place flat out against anyone who wanted a tear up. You just can't do it these days  :( Through the Cotswolds in 1982 at 126mph down the Fosse Way against a Rover SD1 3500, great drive that was!! No police, no traffic lights, no cameras, lots of fun tho!!!

I got told off by some woman yesterday for making too much noise! That's what it's come to in Britain today!! I was disturbing her peace and quiet in her garden apparently!! I must admit the Tiger is LOUD!! I'd put a new silencer on her but she is being sold soon in any case  :( sad to see her go but it's time to move on for next year now.

sanzomat

Re-awakening this thread - Been playing on Project Cars with my son on his PS4 and we were having a go at Cadwell park in a Caterham and it reminded me of the videos posted here so we set up the laptop with the videos playing and waited on the start line on the PS4 for one of you to come round then checked how we compared. There are two caterham options in the game, a 620 superlight and a "classic". In the 620 we could easily leave behind any of the VFC (as long as we stayed on the track) but in the Caterham Classic we could just about keep up, pretty much matched all the way around the circuit once we'd learned the track. From this I conclude that that the game physics are pretty good so before going to any new circuit it would be well worth learning the track on a good sim game like project cars. Unfortunately it doesn't have Combe or LLandow and surprisingly there isn't a GTM! They will be adding additional tracks and cars as DLC though so you never know!

Facial Hair Optional

Moleman

I have never been any good on computer games. but perhaps it is different on on with the seat & peddles etc. Saying that I'm good at spider solitaire not that that would help.  :)

sanzomat

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 28, December, 2015, 03:10:49 PM
DLC??

Down Loadable Content - basically a way for the game authors to keep milking more money out of players by selling additional add-ons!

sanzomat

Quote from: Moleman on 28, December, 2015, 03:12:18 PM
I have never been any good on computer games. but perhaps it is different on on with the seat & peddles etc. Saying that I'm good at spider solitaire not that that would help.  :)

Hadn't tried it without but Matt was saying its impossible to drive that game without a steering wheel and pedals because the analogue inputs need to be so precise - if you floor the throttle it will fish tail, if you slam on the brakes it will lock up and go straight on. Was having great fun with clio racers as they understeer like crazy if you use too much gas and the Caterham 620 is very tail happy. You have to feed everything in gently to get the best lap times.

Crunchie Gears

I have booked Cadwell for 11 March.

I do not have a game but will watch some videos to get the idea of the track before I go. ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 28, December, 2015, 10:50:55 PM

I do not have a game but will watch some videos to get the idea of the track before I go. ;D ;D

Colin has posted some of his on Youtube. There may be some of Ed and Rob too.

Crunchie Gears

I will definitely check them out.  Thanks FHO ;D

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 28, December, 2015, 11:05:08 PM
Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 28, December, 2015, 10:50:55 PM

Colin has posted some of his on Youtube. There may be some of Ed and Rob too.

There is a video on p7 of this thread

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 28, December, 2015, 11:20:31 PM
I will definitely check them out.  Thanks FHO ;D
More videos on P4 & 5, you'll love it there!