+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Bedford Autodrome - March 9th 2015

Started by robp, 27, January, 2015, 01:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robp

I need a fix on track so I'm off to Bedford Autodrome in March. 

I've done a couple of days there before but not in my own car.  It was on one of those Palmersport days.  I'm looking forward to taking the Westfield around.

I've booked through Javelin, together with a few mates.  More the merrier!

Lucky Ed

Sounds like a great idea Rob, but as you can see my car is somewhat off the road at the moment. I've decided to sort the gearbox out while I've got the time, but I'm not due to get the new one until the end of Feb - but you never know I might just make it. Is this trip another over-nighter or are you going to try and do it in one day?

'Mendip Wurzel'

Moleman

I would like to do that one but March is not good for me I'm afraid mate.  :(

Lucky Ed

Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 27, January, 2015, 08:29:38 PM
I like the axle stands....

Yeah it's great having a flat floor to the car, and a forklift to hand - who needs a four post ramp ;D

robp

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 27, January, 2015, 04:27:27 PM

Is this trip another over-nighter or are you going to try and do it in one day?

Yes, we're going up the night before.

Moleman

This one looks really good I think we will have to do a club track day some time in the summer for this one.  8)

sanzomat

I was lucky enough to do a Palmersport day at Bedford a few years ago. It was a corporate do so didn't even have to pay! Fantastic day driving Caterham suplerlight, 911, Clio Cup racer, M3, Land Rover, 2 seater open "Le Mans style" special and 2.5l V6 engined single seater with full wings. The instructors are fantastic - really push you to your limits and don't give up 'till you've had a few spins.
The tracks are all good too (four different main tracks) with massive run offs so you can spin without breaking anything. I'd recommend the day to anyone, especially if you get a freebie ;)

robp

I had a great day yesterday at Bedford Autodrome on the full Grand Turismo (GT) circuit.

It was well organised open pitlane event by Javelin Trackdays.  There were 45 cars there, but since the circuit is so big, 40 cars are allowed out at once so there was no queuing at all.

I did smile during signing in.  They have recently added a new chicane to part of the circuit.  Someone had laid new grass around it.  We all had to sign a form that if we when off at that point across the grass we were liable for the grass repairs!  Excellent.  I did smile.   :D

I booked a garage for the day.  Anyone planning to go with a trailer, please note, you cannot leave it anywhere near the pits/garages as there is not enough room.  Your towcar and trailer have to be parked away from the circuit near the main buildings.  You can unload in the pits so not necessarily a pain but beware.

There was a mix of cars there but I only a couple of Seven type cars:-

After a few sighting laps in convoy, the open pitlane started.  It took me a while to learn my way around but I soon started enjoying myself.  All the other drivers were great with loads of respect and good manners out on track.  There were no red flags all day.  We had a couple of yellows.  The marshalls were fantastic and managed to clear the track under yellow.

The back straight is very long and I have never been so fast in the Westfield. I was surprised how well the car could keep up with powerful (more aerodynamic) tintops above 120mph.  There is a chicane about 2/3rds the way along which sorts the men from the boys. :o   There were a couple of 911 Turbos there doing mega speeds down the straights.

For the first time on a trackday, I ran into problems with the noise police.  There is a static noise test when you arrive which has to be under 101dB.  My car was 91dB at 4500rpm.  No problems there then.  However, there are a number of noise meters out on the circuit.  If you exceed 87dB driveby you're in trouble.  They give you a warning if you're getting near and that's what happened to me.  I didn't want to get kicked out so I started short shifting here and there, and, well, it started getting a bit dull.  I wanted to push the car hard not worry about breaking the rules.  However, you can see the noise meters and I learned where I could push it and where I had to be a little more careful.  OK, it was another thing to concentrate on but soon I was enjoying myself again.  Later in the day, when I was having a ding-dong with Hoopahole in his Lotus, I tripped the meters again.  Opps! :-[

This whole noise thing is a bit of a pain in the backside but I guess it's a sign of the times.  I can moan about it but I really enjoy trackdays and I'll do what I need to ensure I can go and play.  The feedback from the others in the pits was my car was one of the noisiest there!  There was one guy in a Caterham who tripped all 4 noise meters on his first lap!  What a star! 8)   Anyway, anyone who is thinking of going to Bedford and had been borderline on noise at other circuits may need to look at how they can quieten down if necessary.

I really enjoyed the day.  It is a good circuit with a number of great sections which is very satisfying when you hook up a series of corners.

Lucky Ed

Nice write up Rob, it looks like you had a great day. I think I might be in trouble with the noise police if I went, as my car is noisier than yours. It's a long way to go just to spectate :o

Moleman

Nice one Rob. I think I'm going to have the same problem as Ed. Not sure what to do now.  ???

'The Gaffer'

Nice review Rob. I went along for a jolly with the guys and had a great social evening and a great day being pummelled as a passenger in a couple of cars. Bedford is a quick track with a long 140mph straight but it's such a shame about the noise issues. Colin, I would compare static level with Rob, that might give you an idea if your car will be any louder on the drive by's maybe??

Now things are brightening up I must try to get my kit track ready ::)

Iancider

Its a great shame I missed this Rob - but thanks for a great commenatary.  I must led you my video camera next time!

Regards
Ian

deadscoob

I think it's a great track to learn your car or monitor changes made  and it seems well balanced for all car types. Powerful / powerful heavy cars can stretch their legs on the straights and high speed corners, and the more nimble, lower weight cars claw time back through the chicanes and more technical sections.