+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Castle Combe today

Started by Lucky Ed, 24, March, 2015, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

Had my first trackday of the year at Combe today, using it as a bit of a shakedown day as I had done a lot to the car over the winter. Most of the paddock were doing the same thing as the majority there were race cars, with lots of set up work being done during the day.

I'm happy to report that the track has rubbered in well since Molemans visit on Friday, the marshals commented on the large number of red flags that day put down mainly to the virgin tarmac. The grip levels are nearly back to where they were before and it's lovely and smooth. The new surfacing runs from just before the pit lane exit, all the way round to just before Bobbies chicane so all the major bumps have gone. This was highlighted during the briefing, especially for the radicals & co who might use the bumps for reference points for corners, cos they ain't there any more!. I got slicks on by 9.30 and it stayed dry until 12.20 when it tipped down and the red flags came out so it was an early lunch.

I thought that was it for the day as the forecast was so bad, but it dried up quickly and was back out on slicks straight after lunch and was picking up the pace a bit, but I was struggling to get heat into my front tyres and whilst the new set up of lots of caster has made the car very stable, it doesn't turn in as well and the steering is very heavy, so a trip back to Track Developments is in order. On a positive note the new ARB's and dampers were working very well
UNTIL...... after taking a bit of kerb at Bobbies the front left of the car dropped down, not another wishbone I thought. I limped back to the pits to find the top mounting of the shock had unscrewed, and had disappeared inboard breaking a bit of bodywork, but at least it will match the other side! I've lost the main bush that sits on top of the spring but Dave Gallop says he has plenty of spares so it's an easy fix.

All in all a successful day despite the mishap later in the day, hopefully get up to TD in the next week for a quick fix and a few tweeks to the set up, ready for the next day on the 13th of April 8)

Moleman

Nice one Ed.  8)  Glad it went well for you. I'm also glad to hear the track is improving. They failed to mention to us that the track may be very slippery due to it being a virgin track & gave a lot of people warnings through out the day.  ::)
I can't wait for my next one there now. I will let you know about 13th April depending on cost of my wheel arch repair.  :D

Lucky Ed

There were plenty of body parts lying about the place today so you're not alone ;) - (car parts that is!)

They didn't bang on about the kerbs too much, it was just they want to keep it looking good for their inspection next month so they get their license for the next year.

Iancider

Coincidentally I was working on the top of my shocks today.  The threads are thread-locked as well as there being a lock-nut - that seems to be important!

Glad to hear the roll-bars are going well.  Hope the new set-up works out okay.

Ian

Krazyken

Lucky, it wouldn't be one of your track days if you didn't break something!

At this time of year its difficult to get slicks up to full working temperature because the ambient temperature is still low.  If you think about the wind chill as you do 100+ around the circuit with open wheeled cars then expect them to be nice & warm when you arrive for braking & corners you might be in for a surprise ( and not a nice one).  Track tyres like 888's are a good compromise in low temperatures.

I would put some F1 tyre warming blankets on your Christmas/Birthday list for 2015.  I will hold a whip round at Stoneleigh and start things off by donating the first 10p.

Lucky Ed

I agree Ken, it was a bit cool at Combe but it hasn't been to much of a problem in the past, so a quick visit to Track Developments was in order this weekend. Dave has reduced the caster and put the camber back up to 3 degrees, so I'm pretty confident on the set up now.

It would be great to have tyre warmers, and have got some organised for the next track day - he's called Dave Bence :o 8)

Iancider

Ed what you need is a nice short track with plenty of brake heat, tight corners and short straights like Llandow.  So how about taking a day off?  There are still places. :P

Regards
Ian

Krazyken

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 30, March, 2015, 07:44:20 AM
I agree Ken, it was a bit cool at Combe but it hasn't been to much of a problem in the past, so a quick visit to Track Developments was in order this weekend. Dave has reduced the caster and put the camber back up to 3 degrees, so I'm pretty confident on the set up now.

It would be great to have tyre warmers, and have got some organised for the next track day - he's called Dave Bence :o 8)

Ah the Doommeister!  That'll sort your tyres out one way or the other, but remember he's not called Dave Doom for nothing. :o