AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Castle Combe track day and cleaning out jerry cans!!!!!!

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 31, July, 2015, 02:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

I have some jerry cans in my garage but I am not certain what they have had in them b4 I got them last year. One pair had diesel I think, the other pair I am not sure.

I put water in two of them which I have now emptied out. Anybody know the best way to clean them inside so I can use them for fuel on the track day at Combe coming up please??

damouk

you could buy some new ones........

.......and then give the old dirty ones to me ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 31, July, 2015, 02:23:21 PM
you could buy some new ones........

.......and then give the old dirty ones to me ;D
.... so you can clean them out with your top secret system that you won't tell me!!! haha!!  ;D

sanzomat

I would have thought a tiny bit of diesel mixed with mostly petrol won't do any harm as the diesel will mix in at a very low %. I'd be more worried about the water. Petrol doesn't mix with water, I think petrol floats on water?

I wouldn't want to risk getting any water into carbs or injectors so I'd want the cans to be completely dried out before using them.

Facial Hair Optional

Yes petrol floats on water, I remember pinching a pint of my dads lawnmower 2 star petrol in a milk bottle and pouring it on the local stream then chucking a lit match on it and watching the water light up! For any old bill reading, it was a long time ago, I was 11 years old!!

I was thinking of putting a small amount of some kind of detergent in the cans with some water, locking them and then shaking the hell out of them for 5 mins, pouring it all away then flushing with water until it's totally clear and clean, then leaving to dry somewhere warm for a week or two. Should be ok right??

Iancider

You can only do that with industrial detergent - domestic stuff had foaming agents that would block injectors.

Much easier Stand the cans in direct sunlight with the caps open for a couple of hours.  The petrol takes just minutes to go and the dribbles of water will go in a couple of hours.  p.s. no smoking nearby!

Regards
Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 31, July, 2015, 05:22:24 PM
You can only do that with industrial detergent - domestic stuff had foaming agents that would block injectors.

Much easier Stand the cans in direct sunlight with the caps open for a couple of hours.  The petrol takes just minutes to go and the dribbles of water will go in a couple of hours.  p.s. no smoking nearby!

Regards
Ian
What petrol???  I never mentioned they had contained petrol dear boy, that was my point Ian, I don't know what they have had in them, not petrol for sure, could be sand, oil, defo had water in at least two of them, possibly diesel and who knows what else!! Or maybe nothing at all, I just don't want to put fuel in them for Combe until I am certain they are clean inside. I wonder if a good hot jet wash inside would do the trick??

Or maybe your advice for using non-domestic detergent would be a good idea. Where do I get some though??

Or maybe just repeated flushing with good old H2O would do it and then stand in the sun as you advised?? I guess I could even sacrifice some petrol and use that to swill them out?

benchmark51

If they look clean inside, swill a little petrol in them, empty into a clean and dry bottle and inspect. No dirt or water ? Then use them. You probably get a trace of water or dirt each time you fill up anyway, hence filters.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 31, July, 2015, 06:59:30 PM
If they look clean inside, swill a little petrol in them, empty into a clean and dry bottle and inspect. No dirt or water ? Then use them. You probably get a trace of water or dirt each time you fill up anyway, hence filters.

Good point Dave. I heard you can get an attachment to help when pouring from the jerry can into your tank but have no idea what they look like or are called. A full jerry can must be darned heavy too, would a large funnel do, you wouldn't be able to hold it steady as both hands would be needed to pick up these cans, they are quite large.

Camber Dave

Try Jizer - its water soluble

Then ask Ian if he has any de-watering agent left from his waterless coolant kit!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Camber Dave on 31, July, 2015, 07:32:37 PM
Try Jizer - its water soluble

Then ask Ian if he has any de-watering agent left from his waterless coolant kit!
Thanks Dave, that's reminded me to also buy some in a spray can to de-grease my engine block!!

benchmark51

How many more times, his name's not Dave it's Rodney! ;D ;D ;D

Thats it I'm off up the pub for some sherberts :P :P

Gary RH7

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 31, July, 2015, 07:12:10 PM
Quote from: benchmark51 on 31, July, 2015, 06:59:30 PM

Good point Dave. I heard you can get an attachment to help when pouring from the jerry can into your tank but have no idea what they look like or are called. A full jerry can must be darned heavy too, would a large funnel do, you wouldn't be able to hold it steady as both hands would be needed to pick up these cans, they are quite large.

You see when you are single and live alone (another string)you sometimes need an extra hand :P You need to get that librarian sorted ;D

I can just see you struggling holding the funnel in one hand and trying to pour the jerry can with the other :'( Now I see why you need the fire extinguishers :o :o :o :o

Facial Hair Optional

I see what you've done there Gary RH7, very nice linking mate!!   8) 8)

Gary RH7

Going for my 100th post to get me off "Jr" 8) So got to get some in ;D

Camber Dave

Quote from: benchmark51 on 31, July, 2015, 07:46:35 PM
How many more times, his name's not Dave it's Rodney! ;D ;D ;D

No I was Gerald - But that was over 40 years ago

(For new readers - there were 3 or 4 Dave's in the same garage)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 31, July, 2015, 08:01:54 PM
Going for my 100th post to get me off "Jr" 8) So got to get some in ;D
As long as no-one starts that forum topic 'bump' nonsense!!!!!