+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Track day fire extinguishers??

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 31, July, 2015, 07:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

Any of you guys have on-board fire extinguishers when you do track days, or even all the time, ie when out on the roads?

I have a stupid small one in my Tiger but none in the other proposed track day car. I am a bit concerned about this and am not sure which way to go on it.

I am sure the small one would be of little use in a track day induced fire, so am thinking of getting a large hand-held one (or even two) to mount in the car b4 the day at Combe.

The car used to have a plumbed in system and the under bonnet nozzles are still in situ though the extinguishers themselves have gone. I have no idea how big a job it would be to fit a new system in though.

Does anyone have any idea on this and/or any recommendation on 1 or 2 on board decent hand held extinguishers please???

What do you guys generally use when on a track day???

Moleman

I have a little one for the road use but to be honest most track days have marshals with really big ones that will do the job. The little ones only last a few seconds & are unlikely to do much.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 01, August, 2015, 09:35:01 AM
I have a little one for the road use but to be honest most track days have marshals with really big ones that will do the job. The little ones only last a few seconds & are unlikely to do much.
Cheers Colin.

Gary RH7

There you go FHO. You can fumble with jerry and your funnel knowing there are marshals with really big ones to help you :o

benchmark51

Quote from: Moleman on 01, August, 2015, 09:35:01 AM

now now, keep it clean ;D ;D

Brandy Barrel

We have a 2kg, which was always classed as the smallest to be carried in a rally car,(from my rallying days)  so i've carried one all the time road or track since. 2 kg will put out ab initial fire, if it gets any bigger then it wont cope. But dont rely on stopping outside a marshalls station, if manned, cos a fibreglass car wont take long to go up.
On track days most of the marshals stations are unmmanned, so beware.
I see it as a peice of insurance, i feel uncomfortable if i dont have an extinguisher in the car.

Brandy Barrel

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Brandy Barrel on 02, August, 2015, 07:40:38 AM
We have a 2kg, which was always classed as the smallest to be carried in a rally car,(from my rallying days)  so i've carried one all the time road or track since. 2 kg will put out ab initial fire, if it gets any bigger then it wont cope. But dont rely on stopping outside a marshalls station, if manned, cos a fibreglass car wont take long to go up.
On track days most of the marshals stations are unmmanned, so beware.
I see it as a peice of insurance, i feel uncomfortable if i dont have an extinguisher in the car.
Yeah that is pretty much how I feel BB. I need to get a decent one/two b4 the track day.