+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Petrol for Castle Combe track day?

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 10, August, 2015, 08:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

Hey you guys who have done this before (Colin, Ed, Ian etc etc).

My car tank holds 9 gallons, the track is 1.85 miles long. Being pessimistic I should get 15 mpg? My car is not too bad on fuel but I have never tracked it so don't know what it will return on the day, but at those figures I should get about 70- 73 laps on a tank full.

How many laps are we likely to do in a day (I know, how long is a piece of string but a rough ballpark figure would be helpful to a novice like me). I would like to work out how much extra fuel to take with me if I can.

I have two jerry cans of 25 litres/5.5 gallons each I think, so I could take 90 litres in total minus what I use diving to and home from the track (not much!). I make that about 145 laps (ish).

IS THAT ENOUGH??   ???

Cheers!!

Moleman

It's one of those suck it and see jobs mate. Sometimes I use an extra 80 litres & sometimes I only use 40 litres extra. It just depends on how well the day is going.  :)

Lucky Ed

My car is thirsty and I've yet to use all 100 litres I take, but it will be close :o

The track will be closed for an hour for lunch, which is more than enough time to pop out and get some more. Track stints are best kept to 10-15 mins, otherwise you will get tired and will start to make mistakes, so that will limit your total track time anyway.

Facial Hair Optional

Great advice thanks guys. Also I guess if it rains we will be slower and hence use less too.

I am even thinking of leaving my Toyo T1Rs on the car if the weather looks wet rather than putting on the R888s? Or I could find another set of wheels and have two sets.

I can't remember the name of the wheels that seem to be so popular for kits though! Damouk bought a set on here recently I think? Anyone know?

Found them!! Team Dynamics Pro race 2 !

Lucky Ed

If I was you I'd chuck the T1R's in the skip, the 888's will out perform them by miles, whatever the conditions ;)

Facial Hair Optional

Cheers Ed, yes I think the T1Rs are bloody hopeless on my car, just thought they may have been better in the wet, but  if you think that then they really must be as useless as I think they are!!

benchmark51

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 10, August, 2015, 09:59:03 PM
If I was you I'd chuck the T1R's in the skip, the 888's will out perform them by miles, whatever the conditions ;)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-X

Moleman

888's are far better in dry & wet weather mate. I wouldn't like to say how many times I have said this. Do as Ed said mate.  :D

Lucky Ed

Quote from: benchmark51 on 10, August, 2015, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: Lucky Ed on 10, August, 2015, 09:59:03 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-X

??????????????

Just a bit of friendly advice. I had Toyo T1R's on my car and they are not fit for purpose on a lightweight car, they offer no grip in the wet, and are downright dangerous under braking, and lock up much to easily - ask Paintman, he found out by burying his car in the front of an Audi coming home from Camber Dave's.

benchmark51

And of course it is the equipment at fault, not the lack of talent or wisdom in it's use. :-*

Facial Hair Optional

I can only speak as I find on MY CAR. Ok so it is very light (by tin-top standards, not kit-car standards) at about 660kgs, and very powerful (some might say too much so) but on my car they are poor. No grip at the rear at all.

Ok so I can use less right pedal but then I may as well have 100bhp less so what is the point?

T1R's are good tyres - on the right car - but on a lightweight 320+bhp kit car, nope, no good at all IMHO.

I have yet to drive it with my new R888's on so I am not sure how much better the car will be, but I have high hopes  :D

Moleman

Your new one's will be fine. They will get scrubbed in nicely after a few laps.  8)

Iancider

FHO,

I made exactly that transition and never looked back.  I still use the T1R's as road tyres to get the higher mileage but when they are worn out 888's will replace them.

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Cheers Ian and Colin.

Tomorrow is my 1st drive with the new tyres on. I plan to do some scrubbing in mileage and hopefully put them through a heat cycle as well. Been told that is a good idea with R888s.

Iancider

As I am out of the running now - I will be bringing 75 litres of fuel but no car.  It will be used as my contribution to thrill rides for Go! Inspire.

Loads of passenger rides available so come along and bring friends for a great day out and support the charity at the same time.

Ian

Moleman

Well done mate. I will sort you out with some forms & bands to give them once they have paid.  :D

Gary RH7

If you are desperate for petrol and Ian runs out there is a station close on the way to Chippenham. Only a few miles. See map.

Other alternative I am quite willing, if Ian runs out, to go with Ian and top up at the station. My contribution.

Iancider

Well, it has been a stressful day and I tried watching sport then I tried Cheese!

Say Cheese!

Facial Hair Optional

That's gooooooooood cheese you have there Ian!  :o :o

Iancider

Freeeee Petrol!

I will be bringing 75 litres of Super-Unleaded to be issued FREE! to anybody giving passenger rides that benefit Go! Inspire

WIN! WIN!

Moleman

Not long now. 8)

DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR DRIVING LICENCE!