+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Bedford Trackday last Wednesday

Started by Crunchie Gears, 22, August, 2015, 01:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crunchie Gears

I have watched your videos and read the thread on the day at Castle Combe with some envy as I was not there.

But I thought I would put a report on the Bedford trackday which my brother and I did.

I got up at 4.50 as I was awake, with excitement before the alarm.  Dressed and was woke the neighbours starting the Westfield at 5.20 as I left to meet my brother at his place as he was in the Ultima.

We met up with a friend of mine, Keith, who joined us for the day.  I then made a mistake as I let Keith do the sighting laps.  This would not have been a problem but they have changed the track since my last visit and made a flat left, in the Westfield, into a tight 90 degree left.  So on my first lap in the Ultima I arrived very quick and had the car all over the place and took to the grass for the next right.  Over confidence, or is it arrogance, nearly got me in trouble.  I have to say Brian is a great passenger as he did not flinch.

I got the Ultima hooked up better on my second run with Keith as a passenger.  We where hitting 175 mph, worked from the rev counter, as the speedo gave up, on the straight.  The car is that fast that it takes a while to find the braking points as they are considerably earlier than the Westfield just because you are arriving so quickly.  I also missed a gear or to under braking as you have to push so hard on the brakes and heeling and toeing is more difficult.  Anyway finding the gear and dropping the clutch had me a bit sideways a few times before I got it together.

As for the car, it is very physical to drive and I was almost glad that the oil temp we climbing out on track as it allowed me an excuse to come in and cool down.  But the car is very forgiving and does not bit.  It understeers a little but with power it become neutral and then controllably into over steer.  In fact it is not difficult to power slide the car.  It is a brilliant car!

Jumping from the Ultima to the Westfield I found really difficult.  The Westfield's controls are so light and the gear changes are an art form on the track so I lived up to my name on a few.  I was quite annoyed with myself.

Well the Ultima in particular got a lot of attention.  We where inundated with people asking for a ride.  As a result we met half the pit lane and with quite a few saying they enjoyed the flames out of the exhausts.  A new friend, Mark, even asked if I would let him sit in the car on the way to get Petrol in the service area at the circuit!

I took a number of people out in both cars during the day so got a lot of track time before being black flagged.  Did I hear anyone shout hooligan?  No it was a noise violation ------- in the Westfield!  It then misbehaved again by braking down on the way home.

It was the best trackday I have been on as we meet some good people passionate about cars and had a good crac.

I will post up the pics and Mark is doing a vid too.

So, what was the scariest thing on the day?  The Ultima does 15-20 Ltrs of fuel every time you go out on track!  But it is worth it.

Brian and I are at Castle Combe on the 2 September in the Ultima and Brian's Morgan +8. 
Then Snetterton on the 8th.  I cannot get enough of the Ultima!

Moleman

Glad you had a good time mate. 175mph wow!  :o  Can't wait to see the video's.  :)

Lucky Ed

Sounds like you had a great day, but noise does seem to be a problem at Bedford these days. Can't wait to see your cars in action soon 8)

Facial Hair Optional

Sounds like you had an amazing time  8)

I haven't seen the Ultima yet so if I can remember I may try and pop along to Combe on the 2nd to take a peek. Is it open to visitors to watch?  :D

If not then I may just have to 'need' something from Merlin!  ;)

Iancider

Crunchie Gears

Thanks guys.

The track day a Castle Coombe will be open as it is a dealer organised event. 
Williams Morgan, they also have the franchises for Lotus, Caterham and Twisted.  They have some Morgan race cars.

Don't expect to much from me though as the challenges at Combe are scary compared to Bedford. :o. (The Armco is a lot closer!

Facial Hair Optional

I bumped into one of the owners/bosses of Williams Morgan a couple of months back, he was getting a new car set up at the rolling road place I use on North Road, JPR Tuning, just as you go out of Yate. Nice guy. I didnt realise they had a franchise for Lotus until that day.

If I make it to Combe on the 2nd I will come and say hello Crunchie. Let's hope you get some decent weather for the day, fingers crossed for you mate.

Jagodo

That sounds amazing. I have never gone over 125mph in a car, and that was on a motorway, so 175mph on track must be amazing, exciting and probably very scary.

Crunchie Gears

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 23, August, 2015, 09:53:19 AM
I bumped into one of the owners/bosses of Williams Morgan a couple of months back, he was getting a new car set up at the rolling road place I use on North Road, JPR Tuning, just as you go out of Yate. Nice guy. I didnt realise they had a franchise for Lotus until that day.

If I make it to Combe on the 2nd I will come and say hello Crunchie. Let's hope you get some decent weather for the day, fingers crossed for you mate.

I spoke to Williams yesterday and the circuit will be open and for a small donation passenger rides and so forth.  Hope to see you there.

Facial Hair Optional

Excellent! Well if I can get there I will, fingers crossed for the weather for you all too.

Crunchie Gears

Mark Richards had a ride in the Westfield and the Ultima and kindly made this Video:

Thanks Mark appreciated! ;D

Moleman