+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Castle Combe trackday Mon 5th October

Started by Lucky Ed, 15, September, 2015, 08:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

Myself and Moleman are looking at going to Combe again soon, most Monday's are available but I'm thinking of Mon 5th October with Motorsport events. Does anybody else fancy coming along?

Booking trackdays in advance are always a gamble weather wise this time of year, but taking on Combe in the wet is quite a challenge, and is great to hone your driving skills, if not your reactions ;)

Facial Hair Optional

I'm a 'maybe' on that one Ed! I'd love to do Combe again so hopefully I will be able to do that one with you guys. Do you have a link to the info please mate?

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 15, September, 2015, 09:43:16 PM
I'm a 'maybe' on that one Ed! I'd love to do Combe again so hopefully I will be able to do that one with you guys. Do you have a link to the info please mate?

Have a look and see what you think FHO. They are a good operator with some good guys running it, they don't tolerate bad driving so the baseball cap brigade tend not to attend ;)

https://orders.motorsport-events.com/EventList.aspx

Iancider

I am a definite not sure.

Life is complex at the moment but I suspect my car will be in bits again at that time for stage two of my rebuild.

Will let you know soon.

Ian

Moleman

I'm a definite so let me know when you are going to book it.  8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 15, September, 2015, 09:50:23 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 15, September, 2015, 09:43:16 PM

they don't tolerate bad driving so the baseball cap brigade tend not to attend ;)

https://orders.motorsport-events.com/EventList.aspx

Thank goodness, I've just had a massive row with some of those d :o heads on a PH forum!!! They can be quite abusive and say the stupidest things at times.

I will check it out Ed, thanks  :)

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Iancider on 15, September, 2015, 10:02:52 PM
I am a definite not sure.

Life is complex at the moment but I suspect my car will be in bits again at that time for stage two of my rebuild.

Will let you know soon.

Ian

I've just rebuilt my car after the last trackday, and will no doubt be doing it again after the next one :o ;D

Facial Hair Optional

You gonna 'do a Dino' on us Ed?  ;D

Has anyone wathed him in the Porsche Carrera cup on TV this week? He's 6th in the table now I think?

Facial Hair Optional

I see they have Hallavingon in their list on that link Ed. Has anyone done that one before? Any good?

After Combe I cant see any local track comparing can you? Yeah, yeah I know Cadwell was the dogs ok!!!!!! Not local, would need to hire the club tralier and get a tow hitch fitted. Next year then on Cadwell yes??

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 15, September, 2015, 10:15:30 PM
You gonna 'do a Dino' on us Ed?  ;D

Has anyone wathed him in the Porsche Carrera cup on TV this week? He's 6th in the table now I think?

I normally manage to break something during the day, so I don't expect the next one to be any different - as they say
"if you wanna play you've gotta pay" ;D

Dino is not a happy bunny being only 6th at the moment, as he was tipped to be challenging for the title at the start of the season, but has had endless trouble with the car so far. He is much more optimistic for the next round at Silverstone on Sun 28th. You can watch it live on ITV4 along with the BTCC races.

Iancider

I think that would be Sunday 27th Ed - what time?

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

27th - correct Ian. I will put that in my diary now, cheers

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 15, September, 2015, 10:18:59 PM
I see they have Hallavingon in their list on that link Ed. Has anyone done that one before? Any good?

After Combe I cant see any local track comparing can you? Yeah, yeah I know Cadwell was the dogs ok!!!!!! Not local, would need to hire the club tralier and get a tow hitch fitted. Next year then on Cadwell yes??

Hullavington is cheap, cheerful and local, it's not very challenging but is great for beginners or a cheap test day. Abingdon is probably the best of the bunch as far as airfield days are concerned.

On the wish list for the future are Cadwell, Donington and Oulton. Donington is handy as it's do-able in the day, it's knackering but it's possible.

Facial Hair Optional

Was thinking about Anglesey but actually it's a long bloody way!

Lucky Ed

Soz, I stand corrected, the 27th it is. There's two Porsche races during the day, but the times change at each meeting so will have to wait and see the TV schedule.

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 15, September, 2015, 10:46:21 PM

Now you're getting carried away :o ..... and you'll need jabs and a passport :D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 15, September, 2015, 10:49:38 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 15, September, 2015, 10:46:21 PM

Now you're getting carried away :o ..... and you'll need jabs and a passport :D
;D ;D ;D  It's ok, I'm hard, I wear an England rugby shirt in the valleys! I've still got the injuries to prove it! The only reason they let me live was cos my dad is from Ynysybwl!!!!! And no, I have not missed some letters out!!  ;D

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 15, September, 2015, 08:59:10 PM
Myself and Moleman are looking at going to Combe again soon, most Monday's are available but I'm thinking of Mon 5th October with Motorsport events. Does anybody else fancy coming along?

Booking trackdays in advance are always a gamble weather wise this time of year, but taking on Combe in the wet is quite a challenge, and is great to hone your driving skills, if not your reactions ;)

Ed - has Combe got any better in the wet with the new surface?  I know it couldn't have got any worse

Cheers Adrian

Lucky Ed

Don't know yet, I'll let you know!

It wasn't much different at the beginning of the year before it rubbered in, but it might be better now. Having said that, rumour has it they're resurfacing the rest of it from Bobbies to the start line this winter, so it will still be a track of two halves.

Crunchie Gears

I cannot make the 5 October which is a great shame as I have to work :(. I will make a trackday with you guys one day.  I think I am unlikely to get a trackday in before the end of the year now but I have a couple of road trips organised.  ;D. And a couple of car events so happy days.

As for Combe in the wet I understand the old surface is very slippery when wet and the new surface is slippery when damp and then has more grip when fully wet.

It rained a bit on my last visit and one of the instructors gave me a quick warning / advice as I was queuing to go out; it was damp on track.  I did a couple of laps but came in as it was a bit too interesting for me to put the power down. :o. More a reflection of my bravery than the car's ability.

I hope you have another good one.

As for next year I would be up for any of those tracks would be great and I will do Spa next year too.

Facial Hair Optional

Spa - never beeen but has to be one of the coolest tracks to do!

Moleman

I like the idea of Spa.  8)  But I will settle for combe in October for now.

Crunchie Gears

Spa would be a good trip for next year and not a lot more expensive than Silverstone GP or Brands GP even with the tunnel and a stay over. :D

robp

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 16, September, 2015, 07:48:49 PM
Spa would be a good trip for next year.

Yes please! Definitely up for a trip to Spa!  8)  It has got to be the greatest circuit.  I know my Westy will be maxing out half way down the long straights but I don't care.   :P ;D ;D

Even SWMBO is warming to the idea of letting me go!  :D

Facial Hair Optional

What would it max out at Rob do you reckon? Could you change the diff/gearing especially for Spa?

Looks like a fabulous circuit to drive but as you say I think most of us would be limited by our top speed there?

robp

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 17, September, 2015, 01:59:25 PM
What would it max out at Rob do you reckon?

It is geared to do 140mph but with the engine power and poor aerodynamics it probably won't quite make it up there!  It is only really the Kemmel Straight that would be an issue.  It is last thing that would put me off though.  The rest of the circuit will be great.   8) 8)

Anyway, this post is about Combe. :D  I might be up for this MSE day.  ::)   

I am driving an supercharged Atom around Combe in a few weeks time at another event.  I hope it's dry! :o

Lucky Ed

I would love to go to Spa, I know Dave Bence and Ken went a few years ago and loved it. 8)

Moleman

Already looking into SPA & it seems reasonable in mid week bit shoots up on weekends. It will take around 7 to 8 hours to get there so I could be done over 2 days but that will depend on the tunnel times.  I will look into it more after the weekend but it may be one for next year now.

Anyway who else is up foe Castle Combe in October?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: robp on 17, September, 2015, 02:15:23 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 17, September, 2015, 01:59:25 PM
What would it max out at Rob do you reckon?

It is geared to do 140mph but with the engine power and poor aerodynamics it probably won't quite make it up there!  It is only really the Kemmel Straight that would be an issue.  It is last thing that would put me off though.  The rest of the circuit will be great.   8) 8)

Anyway, this post is about Combe. :D  I might be up for this MSE day.  ::)   

I am driving an supercharged Atom around Combe in a few weeks time at another event.  I hope it's dry! :o

When are you there with the Atom Rob? I'd like to see that if it's allowed?

Lucky Ed

I've now booked for this one.

I've been hanging back a little as I've had quite a bit to fix on the car, as it suffered a bit at the hands of Dino :o

The car is now fully rose jointed, after the rear wishbones failed bouncing off the kerbs. With the help and knowledge of Camber Dave the rear end has had bump stops added to the rear shocks, to stop the tyres rubbing on the bodywork, and the rear anti roll bar has been moved as it wasn't stiff enough. Dave also noticed when watching a video that the front was too soft, so I now have some 500lb springs on the front.

Since building the engine 18 months ago, it always had a small oil leak from the head gasket, but after 10 or so hard track days it got a lot worse, and the engine was running very hot, so off the head came. It was skimmed as it was slightly warped and a couple of valve guides replaced, refitted with ARP bolts and Cometic head gasket, and guess what......IT STILL LEAKS.....AAAARRRRGH!

It looks like the block is not flat or more likely the finish is too rough for a MLS gasket, even tough I took ages with a block and wet n dry taking the worst of the ridges off. The leak's not too bad so I'm hoping it will last a couple more days before a winter rebuild.

Any more takers for this one - it would be nice to see an ASBO on track ;) :D

Moleman

I have now booked as well. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Come on who is up for another one then?

You can only get better the more you do. ;D

Jagodo

I can't make it as my Dutton still needs a new starter fitted after the last time. Pity, as I really enjoyed it last time.

sanzomat

I would love to come and play but 1) I'm running out of leave. 2) I've made a start on stripping down my VVC engine ready for the transplant - Combe is clearly a power circuit and I didn't have enough! Next time I'll have a bit more hopefully. 3) After overheating last time I've ordered a bigger radiator (mk2 Passat) that'll go in at the same time as the engine swap. 4) After finding an extra neutral when going for 3rd several times I need to have a more precise gearchange before venturing out onto the track again - will also be fixed as part of my swap as it'll be a different gearbox with cable change rather than rattle rods. 5) I've got a quicker steering rack waiting to go in too which I'd like to have in before I go out on track again. 6) Some roll over protection would be nice - I have a cunning plan!

If all goes well over the next few weeks the engine might be ready so the car might be in bits on 5th Oct!

damouk

I am very tempted, but not sure on the weather gamble... Hmmm......

Facial Hair Optional

I really would love to guys but sadly it is not looking very likely for me  :(

I won't go into detail here but medical stuff is stopping me from driving pretty much at all atm. When I do manage to get out in a car it's usually only 20 mins or so before I have to call a stop to it. Not a happy bunny lately I can tell you  :'( :( >:(

Moleman

You know you want to damouk just buy a wet suit.  ;D

Really sorry to hear that FHO I hope you get it all sorted very soon.  :(

Any one else?

damouk

I do indeed Colin, I would probably need a bilge pump as well!!

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Moleman on 22, September, 2015, 09:24:13 PM

Any one else?
Quote from: damouk on 22, September, 2015, 09:28:21 PM

Don't be so pessimistic guys, There's an Indian Summer on it's way ;)

Facial Hair Optional

You are right Ed, high pressure moving in on Friday apparently so the weekend and beyond is looking promising.

Luckily the injuries will get better Colin but the doc has made it very clear there is only one way and that is to stop using the injured joints and ligaments and let them heal. Injections, painkillers and anti inflammatory drugs have all been tried and all failed so far.

I will be ok for next year though mate I promise. Don't worry, you WILL get to beat an ASBO round Combe in 2017!!

I suspect the only reason you didnt last time it was there was because you were not as good on track as you are now. I've seen you drive mate, you are proper quick (same goes for Ed, Rob, Rivsy and a few others). Also Andrew and Robin are waaaaay better drivers than me!

I am under no illusions about being able to be faster than you guys, I have no chance I know that. But... I can and I will learn to try and keep up with you one day!! I'm even gonna go on a diet to lower my overall weight on track, cos I know sure are hell you lot won't add ballast to even up the score!!  :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

damouk

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 22, September, 2015, 09:34:27 PM
Quote from: Moleman on 22, September, 2015, 09:24:13 PM

Any one else?
Quote from: damouk on 22, September, 2015, 09:28:21 PM

Don't be so pessimistic guys, There's an Indian Summer on it's way ;)

... I thought that was last Saturday Ed...? :P