Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Ariel Atom at Castle Combe

Started by robp, 26, November, 2015, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robp

I went to Castle Combe today to drive a supercharged Ariel Atom.  Lucky me! :D

I had been looking at the forecast for the last week and it looked like it was dry.  Indeed, when I turned up the track was dry.  However, once I'd done all the signing on stuff and was getting in the car, yes, it started!   :(

They had a number of supercars there too; various Astons, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches.  Some great cars, but I was looking forward to getting on track in the Atom.  To help prevent people having a moment at Quarry, someone had laid out a chicane of cones before Avon Rise to keep the approach speed down.  There was a similar arrangement before Camp where we had to use the motorbike chicane.  Thankfully the stretch between The Esses and Tower was open.

Getting in the Atom was easy.  I would have prefered the gear lever was a little further forward but generally it was a nice car to be in with more room than the Westy and easy to get comfortable.  Now we all know what Combe is like when it is damp.  Add to that to a torquey supercharged engine (with lots of lift off torque too) and my instructor (quite understandably) was keen for me to be extra careful through the bends.  The steering was great; very direct and nicely weighted.  Once I got the straights and opened the throttle the power delivery was very different to the Westfield.  It would accelerate well at any revs. 

I was looking forward to experiencing a car with 600BHP/ton.  It was a bit difficult with the greasy track but boy it shifts!  However, I didn't come away though with the same astonished feeling as I did in Pete's Dax.  Perhaps if it had been dry...

The steering was great and gave me a lot of confidence.  I wish I could have got/been allowed to get the car moving around a bit more and discover what it was like on the limit.  Fair play to the instructor though as the main thing is to come back in one piece.  Looks like from the nose that someone else wasn't quite so fortuate!

Well, the big question. Do I want an Atom?

Simple answer: No.

Why?  Mainly because they are too effing expensive.  Sorry, but forking out £40k on a couple of ladders with an engine.  There is so much choice out there for that sort of money.  OK, you can get them for half that now (see Damo's post http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=4318.0) but that is the NA one.

Also this happens too..... ::) ::) ::) :P

To be fair, I suspect on a dry day with some more laptime you'll be having a properly great time in the Atom.  Maybe I'll have to try again in the summer!  ;D

Lucky Ed

Great write up Rob, I'll have to change my Xmas list now ;)

Did you get to drive anything else while you were there?

Moleman

Shame about the weather mate.  :)

The chicane just before Avon rise might have been because the barriers got smashed up last Saturday & I'm guessing they haven't got them fixed yet.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 26, November, 2015, 08:04:19 PM
Shame about the weather mate.  :)

The chicane just before Avon rise might have been because the barriers got smashed up last Saturday & I'm guessing they haven't got them fixed yet.
Yes that's what I was told too Colin so I think you are right.

I have heard a lot of people say that Atoms are a bit tail happy and a right handful. Plenty of power but you would think they'd have sorted out handling issues by now?

Still too much £££ though, I agree.

Crunchie Gears

Great write up and sounds good fun.

I fancy a Nomad  ;D. I do not think it is going to happen. :'(

'The Gaffer'

Great write up Rob. Looks like a great day out 8)

Iancider

Good article Rob,

I have to say on all but one occasion when I have seen an Atom on the track the owner seems nervous of it and it gets passed a lot.  It seems like that back end is scary.

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 26, November, 2015, 10:08:26 PM

I have heard a lot of people say that Atoms are a bit tail happy and a right handful. Plenty of power but you would think they'd have sorted out handling issues by now?

Quote from: Iancider on 27, November, 2015, 08:02:43 PM
Good article Rob,

I have to say on all but one occasion when I have seen an Atom on the track the owner seems nervous of it and it gets passed a lot.  It seems like that back end is scary.

Ian

See, even Ian is saying it now!!!!