+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

TrackAddict iPhone/iPad/Android App

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 26, December, 2015, 04:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

Has any used this app? The guy who serviced my gas boiler and drifts at Combe had it on his phone. Any opinions please?? I would need the Andoid version as I don't have an iPhone.

http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html

Iancider

It looks like this requires the phone to be screen mounted.  If so, the track marshalls would want to see that it is securely mounted as a camera.  If they then see you are timing laps they will ban it because very strictly Trackdays are not racing days.  So if you want to use one it will be in your pocket and it wont be filming. 

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 26, December, 2015, 05:36:25 PM
It looks like this requires the phone to be screen mounted.  If so, the track marshalls would want to see that it is securely mounted as a camera.  If they then see you are timing laps they will ban it because very strictly Trackdays are not racing days.  So if you want to use one it will be in your pocket and it wont be filming. 

Ian

I think it just has to be able to pick up a GPS signal Ian and as far as I understand it does not have to be filming though of course that would be better so you can get track overlays etc.

I know we are not supposed to time ourselves etc but I don't see how this differs much from a GoPro really, you can get your laptimes from them, just afterwards on playback not at the actual time you cross the line. All it does as far as I can see if use a gps reference point that you set (the start/finish line) and give you the elapsed time each time you pass that point again. Other than that it's basically a video recorder.

If it's securely mounted to take video in place of a GoPro then what is the difference? Most people are trying to go round faster each time and improve anyway, this just gives you result more quickly. It's not like people need any more encouragement to go faster and try harder!!

Crunchie Gears

Just downloaded it and RaceChono

I will give them both a go and post results.

It seems like a great idea ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 26, December, 2015, 10:16:11 PM
Just downloaded it and RaceChono

I will give them both a go and post results.

It seems like a great idea ;D
Cheers Crunchie, that will be of interest to quite a few of us I suspect  :)

Lucky Ed

I could do with a simple lap timer that will work on iOS - any recommendations?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 26, December, 2015, 11:06:41 PM
I could do with a simple lap timer that will work on iOS - any recommendations?

I think that one works on iOS Ed and as long as you don't want to video the lap all you have to do is push the start button as you go over the start finish line and it will time your laps thereafter. Or you can take me round and I'll use my stopwatch out of sight of any marshalls!!!  ;)

It needs iOS6 apparently. I know it is not that basic but can be used in a basic way I think, ie just as a lap timer.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id632355692?mt=8

Here's what the user guide says for circuit use....

Circuit Mode: Road Course, Circle Tracks, etc.

Set the mode to Circuit for road course tracks, circle & oval tracks, and other circuits.
    Tap the Track button to select or create an entry for the desired race track or course configuration.
    When you are ready, tap the Record button at the bottom.
        The app will automatically start recording when your vehicle reaches 10 MPH (16 km/h), or you can choose to start it manually by tapping the Record Now button.
        If this is your first lap at the selected track, simply tap the on-screen button as you cross the start / finish line so that it knows where to separate your laps. You can also set this point ahead of time via the Track selection screen.
        The lap timer will start running when you cross the start line. As you complete each new lap, the completed lap time will be held on screen for 15 seconds. Your best lap time of the session will be displayed in green below it.
        When you're done driving, just tap any of the other buttons at the bottom to stop recording.

Facial Hair Optional

I have to say though that I am no expert and am not 100% sure if the video element is needed or not. I guess the system knows where you are via gps so in theory it doesn't need to 'see' anything about the track? I shall ask the guy I know who has it on his phone though at some point.

Facial Hair Optional

Reading the info on that TrackAddict app a bit further, you can indeed record data without having to record video so you could use that one no probs Ed. And it's free!

Moleman

I use Racechrono app on my phone it is free & works really well.

Crunchie Gears

I have just been playing with Track Addict and it has some cool features.  It will mate with you GoPro or equivalent, it also sets the start finish for all the tracks it has on its database.  There are a few I have booked for next year in France that are not supported but that can be sorted.

I have also downloaded RaceChrono and will have a look at that later.

;D ;D