Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

R888R reviews

Started by Daley Down Under, 01, February, 2016, 12:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daley Down Under

G'day all,

It appears that our trusted track day favourite (R888) is being replaced by the R888R (available in Oz now).  I'm aiming to put a set of semi slicks on the Moke when finished and I've naturally been looking for R888 in GG compound.  Has anyone tried the R888R or heard anything in track day or race circles?

Cheers Adrian

jmad

I have a set currently sat in my kitchen waiting to be fitted 8).

I currently run R888 in GG compound and they have been great in the dry but they really don't like freezing temperatures and if you throw in a bit of wet as well then you need to be careful. (might not be as big a problem for you as it is for us in the UK) When I looked at the options I could have gone for the "old" R888 or the new R888R for about the same price. Talking to people and searching the web I couldn't find any comments saying that the R888R was worse than the old tyre and a few seemed to say there was an improvement in Wet performance, (this was feed back from road and track) so I went for the new R888R.

Lucky Ed

This is what Toyo's own blurb says about the new tyre, but I haven't heard any comments on how they actually perform. I did hear somewhere that the old tyre would now no longer comply with current EU regs, so a new spec was introduced. Time will tell ....

http://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/proxes-r888r

Moleman

They do look ok I must say.  :)

Daley Down Under

Thanks all - as freezing temps and wet aren't a concern  :D it looks like I'm going for a set of R888R's

Cheers Adrian

paintman

I got a set but waiting for it to stop raining before I put them on.......!!!! :(

Lucky Ed

Looking at the specs for the old tyre, they are rated B or C for wet performance, the new ones however are rated E.

Exciting times ahead in the wet on R888R's :o

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 02, February, 2016, 08:12:32 AM
Looking at the specs for the old tyre, they are rated B or C for wet performance, the new ones however are rated E.

Exciting times ahead in the wet on R888R's :o

Which is better Ed - B or E?

Cheers Adrian

jmad

B is better than E.  When I was looking I found some comparisons from people on forums all saying that there was an actual improvement in wet grip with lighter cars ie seven type.  I have no facts to back this up, but I bought them any way as I thought the looked cool!!!! and that's got to make them quicker, hasn't it?

Lucky Ed

Unfortunately E is worse, but I do admit they do look like they are going to knock about 5 secs a lap off 8)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 02, February, 2016, 10:16:02 AM
Unfortunately E is worse, but I do admit they do look like they are going to knock about 5 secs a lap off 8)

Moke doesn't go out in the rain so all good  :D

paintman

I got them for road use.....hoping they will improve the breakaway point when braking hardish.

Can't get use to skidding in a straight line then having to let off and re-apply the brakes to kill the speed!! :o

Lucky Ed

Quote from: paintman on 02, February, 2016, 07:18:30 PM
I got them for road use.....hoping they will improve the breakaway point when braking hardish.

Can't get use to skidding in a straight line then having to let off and re-apply the brakes to kill the speed!! :o

If you're replacing your old T1R's you'll be really pleased with the 888's, they work really well under hard braking 8)

paintman

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 02, February, 2016, 09:46:29 PM

Great!!
Yea, I run T1R's at the moment.

Facial Hair Optional

I replaced T1R's with R888's on the Cossie Fury - a total transformation in every aspect (apart from in the wet, but then it is not a car to take out in the wet on the road if you value your life!)

'The Gaffer'

Slightly off topic but I put some T1r's on the missus' Abarth. Totally underwhelmed :(

Vindicator

Put T1Rs on the KA and couldn't believe how quickly we got through the front set :o

Facial Hair Optional

I have to say we have seen on here multiple threads on T1R's before and I cannot recall anyone having a good word to say about them. If I recall correctly someone had very serious problems with them locking up and the car going straight on? I think they actually had an accident too??

benchmark51

Of course that had nothing to do with way the car was driven.lol.
I ran out of petrol once and of course I blamed the tyres  ;D ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Well any tyre will be useless if you drive outside it's ability to stop or grip properly but the point is that some tyres have much higher abilities that others, R888's being a case in point.

I can only comment on my car and tyres and the difference between T1R's and R888's on the Fury is night and day, the T1R's in my opinion on THAT car are dangerous! I am sure on maybe a hot hatch on a wet road maybe they are ok but they seem to have been criticised on kit cars repeatedly over a fair period of months and years on multiple forums.

Maybe it's the weight of the car or maybe the power or both but I found them to be pretty awful with little grip on bends and useless off the line unless you were really gentle with them. In damp or wet conditions they were near lethal!  :(

HOWEVER... I have also been told that in 1,000 to 2,000 miles they bed in and get better, trouble is I didn't think I'd live long enough to find out so took them off the car!!

Daley Down Under

And now back to R888Rs  :D

Crunchie Gears

I bought two new R888s when they said they where going to stop making them as the fronts on the Westie are less than half used.

The R888r looks the nuts  :P

I do like Avon CR 500 as they are very light, designed for light cars and better in the wet than the 888 IMO.  The issue is they do not make many sizes.

As for the T1Rs I had them on a Focus ST and the fronts lasted 3000 miles.  Advan Sport lasted better as they did not slip and slide as much.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Daley Down Under on 04, February, 2016, 11:28:03 PM

You're not likely to find many, if any at all, reviews on the R888R's here Adrian, they have not been out long and only got released in stages and certain sizes 1st, plus we have had a thing called Winter, wet, rain, cold, ice, sleet, wind, storms, etc LOL! I have never been to Australia but I'd bet you had better than us the last few months?  (not that I am envious - GRRRR!). I would expect to see some reviews coming through over here by the end of our Summer (if we even get one!)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 04, February, 2016, 11:46:10 PM
I bought two new R888s when they said they where going to stop making them as the fronts on the Westie are less than half used.

The R888r looks the nuts  :P

I do like Avon CR 500 as they are very light, designed for light cars and better in the wet than the 888 IMO.  The issue is they do not make many sizes.

As for the T1Rs I had them on a Focus ST and the fronts lasted 3000 miles.  Advan Sport lasted better as they did not slip and slide as much.

I have a set of Yoko Advans for the ASBO, A048's I think (I will check) Not had chance to use them yet but will report back on them when I do.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 05, February, 2016, 07:03:10 PM

You're not likely to find many, if any at all, reviews on the R888R's here Adrian, they have not been out long and only got released in stages and certain sizes 1st, plus we have had a thing called Winter, wet, rain, cold, ice, sleet, wind, storms, etc LOL! I have never been to Australia but I'd bet you had better than us the last few months?  (not that I am envious - GRRRR!). I would expect to see some reviews coming through over here by the end of our Summer (if we even get one!)

Thanks FHO - no reviews here either.  R888Rs are only just starting to replace R888s in Aus too.  I've got a few options here for road legal semi slicks in 185/60/14 - Nitto NT01 (don't laugh at the name), Nangkang NS-2R, Yoko A050 (which I believe is replacing the A048 - a great tyre by the way) and Federal 595RSR.  Still think I'll give the R888Rs a go

Cheers Adrian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Daley Down Under on 05, February, 2016, 09:29:34 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 05, February, 2016, 07:03:10 PM

Thanks FHO - no reviews here either.  R888Rs are only just starting to replace R888s in Aus too.  I've got a few options here for road legal semi slicks in 185/60/14 - Nitto NT01 (don't laugh at the name), Nangkang NS-2R, Yoko A050 (which I believe is replacing the A048 - a great tyre by the way) and Federal 595RSR.  Still think I'll give the R888Rs a go

Cheers Adrian

Re; laughing - sorry but I just couldn't help it!

If the new R888R's are even half as good as they look then you are in for a treat  8)