News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Gods Against Me

Started by Gary RH7, 04, February, 2016, 06:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary RH7

In the effort to get my cooling on the Hood sorted I purchased a timing light to set the timing more advanced.
It arrived yesterday and as know one was in the postie put it in the garden waste bin. The bin got emptied before we got home so it is on the Wiltshire CC dump.

Well done the Post Office

paintman

Shouldn't laugh Gary but sorry I did! :-[

No probs, notify the sender and tell them you haven't received it.

The sender will claim on the insurance and you'll get a new timing light. ;D

I thought my timing might be out what with it being cammed up and slightly modded, so I marked the base of
the distributor and the clamp with a marker pen, loosened the clamp and turned the distributor body Counter Clockwise
to Advance it and did this several time moving it by 3 or 4mm at a time before reclamping and trying it.....do it with the the engine running.

When you get it spot on you should be able to drive at approx. 25mph in 4th gear with no juddering and will tick over nicely......if you can go down to 15-20 it's still to far retarded!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 04, February, 2016, 06:54:47 PM
In the effort to get my cooling on the Hood sorted I purchased a timing light to set the timing more advanced.
It arrived yesterday and as know one was in the postie put it in the garden waste bin. The bin got emptied before we got home so it is on the Wiltshire CC dump.

Well done the Post Office

What a bummer!!! ::)

Vindicator

Hi Gary, you're welcome to borrow my timing light (Gunson Tachostrobe). I'm just outside Wooton Bassett.

Ian

Gary RH7

Quote from: Vindicator on 04, February, 2016, 08:11:51 PM
Hi Gary, you're welcome to borrow my timing light (Gunson Tachostrobe). I'm just outside Wooton Bassett.

Ian
Very kind of you Ian.
I have ordered some electronic ignition stuff so I might wait for that to arrive and get it installed first. Or I might have a play over the weekend. I will PM you tomorrow if I want a play if that is OK.

Gary

Vindicator

No problem....let me know if it will help.....
Ian

benchmark51

Gary, before you disturb anything, It would be a good idea to use a strobe to find out exactly where your timing is set. When you fit the accuspark kit it will automatically use the correct dwell angle and by using the strobe you will be able to see if the timing has altered at all. You will then know how far it was out. As your dizzy is newish I doubt if the spindle/bearings will be wrong.

Another thing I noticed is you have used copper pipes to join your rubber water hoses, this can allow air into the system also fat gaskets on things like thermostat housings ect can do the same.

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: Vindicator on 04, February, 2016, 08:11:51 PM

Ian

Padlock the green bin before he borrows it.  :o.  Just a thought

Moleman

Sorry to hear what happened mate.  :(

Brandy Barrel

Does the postman have a kit car ...........

Gary RH7

PayPal and the Royal Mail have really gone down in my estimation as they did absolutely nothing to help.

In comparison Accuspark have been absolutely marvellous and are sending me a new one.

In future I will deal with them direct and I recommend everyone do the same.

GOOD ONE ACCUSPARK :D :D ;D ;D

Gary

Moleman

Glad you got another one mate. We will have to remember the cracking  after service Accuspark will give you if you use them.  8)

Iancider

Gary,
you do have an absolute right to claim from Royal Mail. If they left you a note to say it is in the bin then they effectively disposed of it at you cost.  That is negligence - plain and simple.  Under their Royal Charter they have a duty of care which they have breached.  As fro a claim form from the sorting office or register a complaint on line.  If they don't pay immediately issue a claims in the small claims court and they they can pay you compensation and the court fee.  Be assure you will get you money back.  You will get nothing out of paypal because they are not party to the loss and acted in good faith. If it does come tot he small claims court I can help you with that.

Regards
Ian

sanzomat

Not sure if Royal Mail are different due to the public service nature of what they do but it is generally the person that places the order that has to make the claim as that is where the contractual relationship sits. In this case its the supplier (Accuspark) that would have commissioned Royal Mail to make the delivery on their behalf in order to satisfy their contract with the buyer (Gary). Clearly Royal Mail failed to properly deliver the item so they have not fulfilled their contract with Accuspark. Gary hasn't received his order (came close but not close enough!) so Accuspark hadn't fulfilled their contract with Gary. I believe the correct course of action is for Gary to claim from Accuspark and Accuspark to claim from Royal Mail. As such, Accuspark sending another is the right thing. Hopefully they'll claim back their costs from the RM. I don't think the (non)receiver of a mail order item can claim from the courier, they have to claim from the supplier. Paypal would only (hopefully) step in if the supplier then failed to make things right.

This is based on no other expertise than the contract law I did in college nearly 30 years ago as part of my building studies so may well be wrong!

benchmark51

Personally I avoid RM when ever I can. I have been unable to resolve delivery issues with them for years, even involving my local MP hasn't worked. I expect my letters to be put through my letter box not thrown on the floor outside where any passerby can take them. The online complaints procedure is
just a loop that takes you back to the starting point. Numerous visits to the local delivery depot (Kingswood)has produced a different manager every visit, with the usual 'ok I'll look into it' , but no results. I gave up.

When I shop online I try to use sellers offering 'click and collect' and collect it myself from a local store. Works for me and haven't had a let down yet.

Gary RH7

BM did tell me that Accuspark have to fill in an P58 form for Accuspark to claim from BM so you are correct Dave (sansomat)

Anyway I should have a replacement in the post today. Oh! :o black box collection today for tins and bottles ??? ??? :'( :'(

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 11, February, 2016, 10:48:47 AM
BM did tell me that Accuspark have to fill in an P58 form for Accuspark to claim from BM so you are correct Dave (sansomat)

Anyway I should have a replacement in the post today. Oh! :o black box collection today for tins and bottles ??? ??? :'( :'(

Good to recycle - the possibilities are endless :o ;)

sanzomat

The next thing is you'll get an invoice from the recycling firm for putting electrical items in your garden waste...

Wonder how long timing strobes take to compost down?

benchmark51

Not long, they're gone in a flash. ;D ;D

sanzomat

Vindicator

There must be a joke about BTDC (Before Todays Dustbin Collection), but I can't think of one  :D

Gary RH7

Quote from: Vindicator on 11, February, 2016, 02:24:07 PM
There must be a joke about BTDC (Before Todays Dustbin Collection), but I can't think of one  :D

Nice one
I am more worried about ATDC (After Todays Dustbin Collection)

Facial Hair Optional

You guys all seem to have the knack of good comedy - it's all about timing!  :-[

Vindicator

Yep, we're firing on all cylinders  ;D

paintman

.....despite Gary blowing his Head Gasket!!......Lol :P