AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Interesting motorsport TV this week.....

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 16, February, 2016, 01:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

Motors TV (Virgin channel 545) had a show on the other night called Go Charlie: Hillclimb Project where Charlie Martin (a female Charlie) drives her hillclimb car (a Formula Renault 2 litre!!) up French hillclimb montain venues.

French hillclimbs tend to be longer than ours (about 2 to 6km) and often on closed public roads.

Some great onboard shots and she can obviously drive very well. Always refreshing to see some girl driving action, shame there is not more of it in this club really.

The show is repeated another 5 times over the next week, the soonest being at 9pm this evening. Well worth a quick watch at only 30 mins long. I was very impressed with this young lady. She's not a half bad TV presenter too!

Crunchie Gears

I have been up a couple of the European hillclimbs and even with stuff coming the other way they are brilliant.  :P

Fancy an expedition to watch one? :D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 16, February, 2016, 04:43:14 PM
I have been up a couple of the European hillclimbs and even with stuff coming the other way they are brilliant.  :P

Fancy an expedition to watch one? :D

Sounds like fun. 1st though I'd like to go see some British ones. Have always fancied having a go but from what I've heard on this forum it's not as straightforward as it used to be as far as regulations etc go??

Does anyone here do hillclimbs and can fill us in or point us to a good website to learn more please?

Crunchie Gears

I am going "Trill On The Hill" and you get a run or three up the hill. http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/toth-new-date-announced/. It is a good day out and a bit like a day at Ascot races but with cars.

They also do days at Gurston Down where you can use your road car without helmet too.

I have not been but do Trackdays or are they sprint days at Curborough and North Weald both against the clock.  I think you have to wear a helmet at Curborough.

A no limits day at North Weald is a good place to start.  They set out a few sprint circuits and time you and as there is nothing to hit you can let rip.  Lotus On Track have a couple of days there this year and priced sensibly.  ;D ;D

Sprinting is easier r more accessible as it is normally much more open.  Most of the hillclimbs in the UK are quite tight so there is to a lot of room to get it wrong :o  and safety standards are pre war.  :-[

Crunchie Gears

Oh, I have not been to Curborough but I have done Car limits days at N Weald

paintman

I have enough trouble getting around roundabouts without loosing the back let alone a hairpin bend at speeds!! ::)

Think the r888r's might help a bit though when I get them on. ;)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 16, February, 2016, 05:45:18 PM
I am going "Trill On The Hill" and you get a run or three up the hill. http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/toth-new-date-announced/. It is a good day out and a bit like a day at Ascot races but with cars.

They also do days at Gurston Down where you can use your road car without helmet too.

I have not been but do Trackdays or are they sprint days at Curborough and North Weald both against the clock.  I think you have to wear a helmet at Curborough.

A no limits day at North Weald is a good place to start.  They set out a few sprint circuits and time you and as there is nothing to hit you can let rip.  Lotus On Track have a couple of days there this year and priced sensibly.  ;D ;D

Sprinting is easier r more accessible as it is normally much more open.  Most of the hillclimbs in the UK are quite tight so there is to a lot of room to get it wrong :o  and safety standards are pre war.  :-[

Cheers Paul, great info as always from you  :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: paintman on 16, February, 2016, 06:44:19 PM
I have enough trouble getting around roundabouts without loosing the back let alone a hairpin bend at speeds!! ::)

Think the r888r's might help a bit though when I get them on. ;)

I had the exact same issue in the Fury Tony, the R888s solved it so I would think the R888Rs would do at least as good a job. Get them nice and warm and the difference will surprise you. I bet it'll tempt you to go on track too!!  8)