+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

nankang ar-1 just launched

Started by welshy1, 18, February, 2016, 10:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshy1

These where shown at the autosport show and to great praise. They are open to being ordered through the link at a reasonable price at £70 each tyre at 195/50/15

http://www.motmotorsport.co.uk/nankang-ar-1-100-c.asp

Ive just ordered a set and will be doing back to back test with the rsr.

Crunchie Gears

They look the nuts  ;D ;D

I could not find much about them other than they do not do them in any sizes ai need.   :(

Looking forward to your review.

sanzomat

Are they road legal? Not sure I'd want to go out in the wet on them!

Just looked at Nankang's website and it says they will initially be released in a few sizes and the range will expand over the next few months. I nearly went for the NS-2Rs when I changed last summer but I took too long making my mind up and they went up quite a bit.

I will look out for these being available in 16" when I wear out my Yoko's as the NS-2Rs had good reviews.

Facial Hair Optional

Great prices but are they any good? You won't be thinking too much about the price if you come off full pelt round Quarry!!!

How do they compare to good old (track proven) R888's for example or Yokos I wonder?? If they are cheap but don't work then they are not cheap!

sanzomat

By the time my yoko's wear out there should be plenty of reviews as to whether they work. Given the Nankang NS-2R's get good reviews then their next generation track tyre should in theory be better.

Don't forget that Toyo were just another manufacturer of budget slightly rubbish road tyres before they brought out the 888. I think the fact that Nankang and Federal have chosen to produce track tyres speaks volumes of their intent to develop their quality.

Can't get 888s to fit my car anyway so I have no choice but to explore other makes (or get other rims)

Crunchie Gears

I am restricted too, if I keep the same size tyres, to Avon CR500 and Kumho V70A :(

paintman

I was just reading up about Toyo r888r's as I bought some to fit on in the spring.

They say that they are "not intended for regular road use due to their limited aquaplaning capabilities and should
not be used in cold/winter conditions".  :o

Great!........  I thought they were like r888's!!!!! ::) ::) >:( >:(

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: paintman on 19, February, 2016, 05:16:26 PM
I was just reading up about Toyo r888r's as I bought some to fit on in the spring.

They say that they are "not intended for regular road use due to their limited aquaplaning capabilities and should

If I could get them in 335/30 18 I would buy them and understand they will not work with standing water.  :o

sanzomat

I think the previous 888s came with the same warning?

Iancider

888's should not be used below -10 degrees C but that is pretty rare in the UK.  In terms of their wet weather skid resistance I have found them superior to T1R's.  I would also comment that when the tread depth is low they are closer to slicks and should not be used in the wet but they are then actually better on the track in the dry.

On the Nankangs we also found LakeSea tyres for track use at .....wait for it......at £42 each.  We are going to try them out shortly and will let you know how they perform.  Apparently these are already popular with Drift racers.  At that price you can see why!

Ian

Lucky Ed

paintman, your new R888R's will still be better in the wet than your old T1R's, except maybe in deep standing water.

Anyway summer is on it's way so wet roads aren't going to be a problem ;)

Lucky Ed

As Ian has said, we are hoping to try out the new LakeSea tyres within the next month, and will report back ASAP. These tyres appear to be branded as Zestino in Europe, and are apparently designed in Japan and are made form the highest quality German rubber stock. I'm hoping to try them out at Combe on March 18th if not before.

Looking at their website they are rapidly expanding their range to include road, semi slick and slick tyres.

http://www.lakeseatyres.com/works/product%20-%20C.html

welshy1

These are road legal and e marked would I want to use them on the road no they are mainly a track tyre tbh. Ive seen some back to back lap times with these and a few other makes and these produce quicker lap times than even the new r888r. They are on par with the Dunlop direnza track tyres which are more expensive.

I will produce some back to back test with these and the federal rsr im running alongside these so will keep this thread updated a lot of people are already giving these great reviews.

Also for people thinking nankang being shit tyres there track day range are totally different the current nsr-2 are very popular alongside the federal rsr. This tyre will be a big step up over these.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 19, February, 2016, 01:30:59 PM
By the time my yoko's wear out there should be plenty of reviews as to whether they work. Given the Nankang NS-2R's get good reviews then their next generation track tyre should in theory be better.

Don't forget that Toyo were just another manufacturer of budget slightly rubbish road tyres before they brought out the 888. I think the fact that Nankang and Federal have chosen to produce track tyres speaks volumes of their intent to develop their quality.

Can't get 888s to fit my car anyway so I have no choice but to explore other makes (or get other rims)

Fair points Dave, fair points. What size are your tyres then?

Facial Hair Optional

From my understanding (from when I looked into them and bought R888s cos the R888Rs were not available in my size) that is the same as R888s! They also were not recommended for cold weather/ winter use or when too much water on the roads.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 19, February, 2016, 05:40:07 PM

If I could get them in 335/30 18 I would buy them and understand they will not work with standing water.  :o

That's a ridiculously low profile, just put a lick of black rubber paint straight onto the rims and save yourself a fortune Paul!! ha ha ha !!!!  :o :o :o :o

On 2nd thoughts I don't want to die at Combe - so don't so that!!!!  :P

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 19, February, 2016, 08:48:42 PM
As Ian has said, we are hoping to try out the new LakeSea tyres within the next month, and will report back ASAP. These tyres appear to be branded as Zestino in Europe, and are apparently designed in Japan and are made form the highest quality German rubber stock. I'm hoping to try them out at Combe on March 18th if not before.

Looking at their website they are rapidly expanding their range to include road, semi slick and slick tyres.

http://www.lakeseatyres.com/works/product%20-%20C.html

You're at Combe on March 18th Ed??? Tell us more dear boy  :) :)

Moleman

I have a friend that has booked combe & needed to fill some spaces so me & Ed have reluctantly signed up to fill them.  ;)

There might be room for a few more if anyone fancy's it?  :)

sanzomat

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 19, February, 2016, 09:20:27 PM

Mine are 205 45 16. I ended up going with Yoko AD08R and so far I'm not disappointed. They worked well at Combe last August and seem okay on the road in mixed weather too. Nearest 888's were 195 50 16 and were £130 a corner.

sanzomat

Quote from: Iancider on 19, February, 2016, 08:36:07 PM
888's should not be used below -10 degrees C but that is pretty rare in the UK.  In terms of their wet weather skid resistance I have found them superior to T1R's.  I would also comment that when the tread depth is low they are closer to slicks and should not be used in the wet but they are then actually better on the track in the dry.

On the Nankangs we also found LakeSea tyres for track use at .....wait for it......at £42 each.  We are going to try them out shortly and will let you know how they perform.  Apparently these are already popular with Drift racers.  At that price you can see why!

Ian

Who is selling those lakesea tyres in the uk then? Couldn't see any option to purchase on the link that Ed put up?

paintman

Thanks chaps....bit of piece of mind. :)

Two of the old T1Rs have 6mm left, do you think they will be ok on the back???? ::)

I bought them to improve my breaking mainly and to help avoid going straight on at corners!!! :-[ :-[

(Sorry for high-jacking the post!!) :-X

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 19, February, 2016, 09:40:08 PM
I have a friend that has booked combe & needed to fill some spaces so me & Ed have reluctantly signed up to fill them.  ;)

There might be room for a few more if anyone fancy's it?  :)

Not sure I'll be ready for it by then but I will come up and support no probs guys  :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 19, February, 2016, 10:02:33 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 19, February, 2016, 09:20:27 PM

Mine are 205 45 16. I ended up going with Yoko AD08R and so far I'm not disappointed. They worked well at Combe last August and seem okay on the road in mixed weather too. Nearest 888's were 195 50 16 and were £130 a corner.

Yeah that is a really awkward size. Yokos are very good mate, some say better than R888s. Both ASBOs use them.

I have almost new R888s on the Fury which I may remove and sell separately when the time comes. Only done about 110 miles! 205/50/15 and 215/50/15 I think they are.

Iancider

QuoteWho is selling those lakesea tyres in the uk then? Couldn't see any option to purchase on the link that Ed put up?

Outlaw products is the uk outlet - not many sizes yet but more are promised.

http://www.outlawproducts.co.uk/new.html

Ian

paintman

There a new name to me.......cheap, but unfortunately not road legal I see. ::) ::)

benchmark51

Quote from: paintman on 20, February, 2016, 10:25:16 AM
There a new name to me.......cheap, but unfortunately not road legal I see. ::) ::)
They are round and black, what more do you want. lol

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: benchmark51 on 20, February, 2016, 11:00:05 AM
Quote from: paintman on 20, February, 2016, 10:25:16 AM
They are round and black, what more do you want. lol

As long as they do not have "not road legal" on the side wall it would work for me LOL!

welshy1

Quote from: paintman on 19, February, 2016, 11:37:10 PM
Thanks chaps....bit of piece of mind. :)

Two of the old T1Rs have 6mm left, do you think they will be ok on the back???? ::)

I bought them to improve my breaking mainly and to help avoid going straight on at corners!!! :-[ :-[

(Sorry for high-jacking the post!!) :-X

T1r are pretty poor track tyre I killed a newish set in one day at llandow side wall is way to soft. Not to bad in the wet when the conditions are cooler but hot weather kills them on track.

Swolson

Awkward sizes... awkward models... Try http://www.tyres-guru.co.uk/ or http://www.mytyres.co.uk/. They found a few things for me in the past. Even if they don't have what you need in stock, they are willing to look for it somewhere else and get it for you. Worth a shot.