+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Big Shake down tomorrow.

Started by Moleman, 17, March, 2016, 08:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

Well me & Ed will be at Combe tomorrow & hopefully the weather will be kind.
We both have some new bits we are testing so fingers crossed it all goes well. I have most (not quite finished but better than the old one) of my new redesigned ARB system courtesy of Dave Gallop  8) & it will be the first time I will be testing the rear diffuser at speed.

So if anyone is in the area then come say hi.  :D

Gary RH7

Lucky Ed

I shall be trying out the new Chinese track day tyres we have acquired for the Go! Inspire charity. These Lakesea tyres (also branded Zestino) are widely used in the drifting arena and are designed in Japan and made using top quality German rubber stock. They have been fitted to some wheels that have just been powder coated by Fullpint - they look superb 8)

Photos, videos and reports to follow.

Facial Hair Optional

sanzomat

Hope you have a good day guys. The weather looks ideal, if a bit chilly. I wish I could come along but too much going on at work at the moment.

Hope the modifications prove successful but I still want to see some spins on the video footage!

CC Cyclone

foggy@smr

Sat at work and cant get down, but have a good day

robp

Quote from: Moleman on 17, March, 2016, 08:18:34 PM
I have my new redesigned ARB system .....

... I will be testing the rear diffuser at speed.

At least these mods didn't ruin your usual fun on the exit of Bobbies!!   :P :P :P :P

Lucky Ed

A few pics taken at Combe today of the new powder coated wheels and the Chinese track day tyres. I was very dubious about how they would perform especially in the very cold conditions but they were superb. As Iancider will testify they gripped very well from cold and turned in really well. The only time they let go was under extreme braking and when trying to put silly amounts of power through them. Having said that they are way too narrow for the rear of my car. All in all performance wise I don't think they are far behind a 888, and at half the price they look like a bit of a bargain!

These wheels will end up the Haynes chassis that Camber Dave is currently building for the Go! Inspire charity, and I think you'll agree they'll look stunning. Thanks again to Fullpint for the powder coating it's a great advert for the standard of work he turns out.

'Mendip Wurzel'

The car looks brilliant with the matching orange wheels

Facial Hair Optional

Great to see you guys there today. It was a fun day though it was bloody freezing cold after a while. Combe was a fair bit cooler than Yate was!

I got to go round with Colin for the 1st time, what an excellent car and driver! The slicks took a fair bit of time to get warm and switch on such was the very cold track temp. Even my extra bulk didnt help much  ;D

damouk

Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 18, March, 2016, 09:41:27 PM
The car looks brilliant with the matching orange wheels

+1 on that, they look superb Ed

Gary RH7

Ed, I don;t know what speed you get to on your normal tyres round Combe but you were pushing 125mph with me in on three of the laps. Obviously my weight would have put you at a disadvantage also ::)

Lucky Ed

OMG 125mph on the chinese tyres :o Ian said he saw at least 130 several times going up to Avon Rise when I was back on slicks as I can carry more speed through Camp corner and I can brake much later at Quarry. During my last long run of the day it was even quicker, as I finally got some heat in the tyres and I had the track pretty much to myself. I don't know how quick I was going as the speedo is obscured and I'm a little preoccupied to crane my neck to have a look ;)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 19, March, 2016, 06:21:19 PM
OMG 125mph on the chinese tyres :o Ian said he saw at least 130 several times going up to Avon Rise when I was back on slicks as I can carry more speed through Camp corner and I can brake much later at Quarry. During my last long run of the day it was even quicker, as I finally got some heat in the tyres and I had the track pretty much to myself. I don't know how quick I was going as the speedo is obscured and I'm a little preoccupied to crane my neck to have a look ;)

Next time Ed borrow my head up display gps unit I got ages ago on ebay. I'm sure it'd work with your little aero screen no probs (it works on mine fine)

Moleman

I was definitely missing my rear ARB yesterday. I still went ok most of the day it just took some time with the very cold temperatures to get the tyres warm & my car wasn't completed in time with the new ARB system which should be done by April.

No cones this time just tyre walls. Don't let this put you guys off as it was more set up issues which was a factor in my little off. You will be fine  :)

I'm already fixing the westy it just needs a new bonet, wishbone, radiator & indicators.

Here is the footage

sanzomat

Ouch! Hope it wasn't too early in the day and you had plenty of laps before then. Are you clear what was giving you the trouble then - ARB, cold slicks, pilot error? Hope its not too big a job to fix and not too many ££s...

Bulldog Bri

Did you get a pic of the front end before you stripped it down?

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Hope the damage isn't too bad Colin. Shame as you were going very well there mate. The 1st clear lap even with that twitch at bobbies you were a full second quicker than you were with me on board.

I can vouch for the fact that the tyres were hard to warm up, it was bitter cold on track and the car was not right without that rear ARB, you could feel it was a little bit wayward at the back end.

You will be back to fight another day mate, that is the main thing  :) :)

Gary RH7

S**T Colin I missed this post yesterday. :o :o Was that just after I said I will skip the passenger ride as I have to get home?
I am sure you will get it sorted quickly as long as the parts are readily available. Good luck with the repair mate.

benchmark51

Alonso had a bit of a 'shakedown' too! Looks a bit costlier than yours though

Gary RH7

Quote from: benchmark51 on 20, March, 2016, 07:04:09 PM
Not another one :o What happened and are there pictures? Expensive sport eh!

Moleman

sanzomat

Quote from: Moleman on 20, March, 2016, 08:34:03 PM
Here is the front of it Bri.

I reckon that'll buff out with a bit of t-cut...

benchmark51

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 20, March, 2016, 07:16:55 PM

Found his way out ok.

benchmark51

Gary RH7

Quote from: benchmark51 on 20, March, 2016, 08:58:34 PM

Found his way out ok.

Found his way out of what :o Looks like he fell over in a scrap yard

Gary RH7

Bad eh! Will damouk's yellow nosecone fit :-X

Moleman

paintman

That's not a pretty site Colin, hope you get the suspension and steering sorted ok mate!! ::)

damouk

That's doesn't look the best Colin, but at least you are ok. How long do you think it will take you to get it back together?

'The Gaffer'

Thats really unlucky Colin :( The car didn't look settled at all.

Hope its only superficial damage and that you can get it all sorted without too much hassle or expense. Oh, I'm very pleased of course you were not damaged yourself.

CC Cyclone

Bad news Colin, but good to see you the other day. Car looked to be losing back end in a straight line under braking?

Moleman

Thanks guys. There wasn't too big a shopping list in the end. I have already fixed most of it apart from a wishbone which is on it's way & the radiator which has gone in for repair. Just the bonnet that will take a bit longer so I will give the old one a patch job just for now.  :)

Crunchie Gears

Sorry you had the problem but you seem to have sorted it very quickly Colin :D

By the way I have a mould for a Westfield FW bonnet.  It might need fettling to fit yours.  just a thought. :D

Bulldog Bri

Are you going to be ready for Stoneleigh?  ::)

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Here ya go Gary...

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 20, March, 2016, 09:00:47 PM

How much you want for the nosecone?

Dave - I love your style mate, straight in for the kill!!

Colin - YIKES!!!! Hope you get it sorted easily mate

Facial Hair Optional

The Lego version of events!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

benchmark51

Yep, thats more or less what happened. Except, he wasn't quite that active when he got out. Either he had a slight injury causing a bit of a limp, or his pants were full. :o  :-[ ;D