Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hello...........and S2000 query

Started by Master O, 25, January, 2012, 06:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master O

Hello,

Just joined the forum as I'm looking to make a decision on which lit to go with for my build.  I've been fortunate enough to come in possession of a 2006 Honda S2000 with only 17k miles on it.  The only problem is the Mondeo shaped dent in the passenger side which has written the car off.

So I have the engine, gearbox, diff, rear suspension, engine loom, ECU and need to find a home for it all.  I've been looking at the MK Indy and the guys there have said if I take them the engine, gearbox and diff up to them they'll build the chassis around these components.  But before I make a decision wondered if there were anyother suggestions that could use this engine?

I apprecaite there is the Westfield / Caterham route but I'm wondering if there is anything else?

So any suggestions or would be really interested to see any projects that people have started / completed.

Thanks

Mark

'Mendip Wurzel'

My neighbours friend has one of those Honda engines in an Ariel Atom.... nice but probably a bit of a costly route.

Moleman

Welcome to the club.
I'm sure you will get alot of idea's from hear as it's a very diverse club with alot of different kit cars. I've only had a westy so don't know alot about the others I'm afraid.
It may help to say what you would like your kit car for? Touring? Tackdays or a bit of both perhaps?  :)

paintman

It would make a really quick GTM...... ::)

Tony

David H

BMW e30.

Unbelievably quick. Saw one at Castle Combe.

fullpint

Welcome along Mark. Not sure about about the S2000 set-up but on a good note its japanese so it will out last the rest of the car.. Go on mate go for it  ;)

TimC

The first car I'm aware of that went this route was the Fluke Motorsport Westfield: http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/profiles/cars_s2000.html

These engines have been fitted to MNRs - there's a build diary here: http://www.mnrvortxf20c.blogspot.com/

MK have built a couple of these so should know the score - I believe the engine had to be mounted quite a long way forward though.

Finally, there is a very successful Autotune Gemini sprint car running the S2000 drivetrain in Scotland.  This would be my choice, but I'm rather biassed (although I have previously owned an MK and an MNR as well.)

Krazyken

If you fancy a Marlin 5exi rather than a 7 type car, Marlin have developed the car for this drivetrain and it will drop straight in.  The Marlin is much more practical than a 7 with luxuries such as a full power heater, curved screen, stowage space, good looks etc.

Then again, I am of that age where I appreciate more of the comforts.  My Marlin has served me very well and been driven hard at different race tracks all over the UK + Spa & The Ring.  Every time I have driven it to the track, thrashed it all day/week and driven home again.

Up to you but it's worth considering.

Master O

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and advice.

I've always wanted to do a car build since I saw Ted Marlow test driving a Ultima Can-Am through the lanes near my wifes parents house in Wolvey.  You could hear it for about 30 seconds before we could see it, for "Wind in the Willows" fans it was a Mr Toad "Beep Beep" moment!!  It turns out the wifes parents don't live far from the Ultima factory, anyway budget, time, expertise all mean a Can-Am is out of the equation.

I want to use the car mainly for the road, with the occassional track day.  I like the idea of something like a MK HSR to give plenty of space under the bonnet for the engine and ancillaries (and possibly engine mods going forward).  The only thing about the HSR is the proportions of the bonnet, it looks quite long in the pictures.  I guess I need to see one in the flesh before judging though.

Anyway the hunt continues.....

Cheers

Mark

'The Gaffer'

Hi Master O and a warm welcome to our club. I'm sure that whatever you decide upon that little extra kick from 7500rpm will be fun in any lightweight kit car :)

TimC

Quote from: Krazyken on 26, January, 2012, 06:10:07 PM
Marlin have developed the car for this drivetrain and it will drop straight in. 

I doubt it - the S2000 is front-engined and RWD.  I guess you're thinking that the Civic Type-R engine and gearbox will drop in?

robp

Quote from: TimC on 27, January, 2012, 09:38:32 AM
Quote from: Krazyken on 26, January, 2012, 06:10:07 PM
Marlin have developed the car for this drivetrain and it will drop straight in. 

I doubt it - the S2000 is front-engined and RWD.  I guess you're thinking that the Civic Type-R engine and gearbox will drop in?

Yes, I think you are right.  The Civic engine is the K20A (which is the one in the Atom too).  The S2000 has the F20c lump.  The advantage of the F20c engine is it rotates in the same direction as other engines so can be used with, for example, a Ford gearbox.  K20A is more suited to mid-engine arrangements like the Marlin.

Krazyken

Yes guys, I stand corrected.  I was thinking more of the engine than the gearbox.

Camber Dave

Hi Mark

At Track Developments we have set up all of the popular 7 type cars, most of the Cobra's and many others over the years.

If I was prioritising Track days I would choose an MK or Striker.

For general use the Westfield is the best all round 7 type car with a high quality finish.

Another way to go as Tim sugested is the Gemini or Fury with retro style bodywork enclosing the wheels.
The curved screen reduces the wind buffeting and the wider body keeps your right arm dry in the rain!

Complete Kit Car recently published a kitcar buyers guide - see their web site.
Lastly Mad about kitcars or Total kitcar web sites have a search car by donor facility
you pays yer money and takes yer choice....

Dave