News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New Chap From Hallen

Started by General.Waverly, 09, January, 2017, 07:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General.Waverly

Hi there everyone.
Just a quick hello really. I'm 32, always been Into cars, have had alfas, and a couple of BMWs. Now the Mrs is happy with her smart convertible,  I'm happy with my 320 tourer, and I now have a house with a garage.... So I'm starting to realise I could actually realise the dream of owning a Caterham. I've just started looking but never driven or even sat in one.  So being here is me dipping my toe in the water to learn from you guys, get a feel for ownership and the trials and tribulations.
Should be a fun journey.
Cheers
Andy

fullpint

Welcome along Andy... I think you need to jump in one.. Are you local? Once you have a ride it could make up your mind to proceed with that dream :)

benchmark51

Welcome Andy. By 'Caterham' I guess you mean a '7' style car? Or are you only considering Caterham only?
There are many variations of 7's each a bit different and so you have a lot to see. Are you building yourself or want a ready built?
Don't forget Stoneleigh show isn't far away with lots to see :). Dave

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club.

If you have the money for a Caterham go for it!! 8)

General.Waverly

Hey thanks for the welcome all.
Yeah I'm thinking 7. Ideally a 160s I think in terms of Spec fun and affordability... But as you say until I've been in one there's no point getting too excited! 
And this won't be straight away. I'm just enjoying the process of a fun car that will fit in the garage and I've always dreamt of owning a 7.
Best
Andy

benchmark51

The first step really is to experience one, then if it 'bites yer bum' you will be a lost cause and you will probably have one for a long time!

How 'mechanical' are you? Do you want to get down and dirty as most 7 owners are or just want to drive them. Don't worry if your not mechanical it will come and there is a lot of help should you need it.
Caterhams seem to be the expensive end and not in my view the best way to start 7 ownership. Westfields are every bit as good, some say better. Then there's the what I term the DIY 'ish' makes Strikers, Tigers, Locost and the list goes on.

As all 7's are different so are opinions as to which is best. I honestly think a £5k budget to start would get you a good car, a year or two with it will give you what you need to make good choices.

fullpint

Man or mouse... That's another factor :) A man wont mind going aeroscreen.. Mouse (I'm turning that way :) ) then weather gear a must (roof and sides) and also a heater...  And if your a real man then it has to be a BEC hahahaha, Bike Engine Car  Not every ones cup-of-tea though..

Paul.latham

Welcome to the fold.

I was looking for a caterham when I set out.

Insurance is cheaper on a Westfield/mk Indy
If you go bike engined the road tax is less as classed as a bike. (We'll sort of)

A Caterham is 10k plus
Where as a Westfield or mk with a bigger engine will be 5k and up.
If you have 7/8k you would surely get something very nice. And who knows even a bike engined car for ultimate acceleration. Mine scares me. Thought I might sell it as too quick. But what would I get? Then I would miss the acceleration. So decided to say with it.
(It's yellow and we all know the yellow ones are faster)
Inside joke!
£140 insurance and £70 road tax for 6 months.

Or if you are looking at a caterham you could get a Westfield with a V8
I know what I would prefer. At least 3.5l and that v8 sound, or a little 1.6 caterham?

Good luck with your search.

General.Waverly

And this ladies and gents is why I am here talking to you chaps. £5k?? Genuinely? If that's the case I need to do some more research.... It doesn't have to be a Caterham if the Westfields are out there....  Where on earth should I start looking?

I'd love to pop along to some event you guys are at to see some good varieties and talk shop.

Thanks guys much appreciated
Andy

General.Waverly

And mechanical wise.
I'm new to it really. My father in law is an engineer. And I've worked with him in the past rebuilding clutches and replacing a few odds and sods on an original mini.
But yeah it'll be a learning experience from the start for me. Kind of the reason I'm doing it really!
Driving pleasure as well as learning how to maintain!

'The Gaffer'

eBay is a good place to start looking. You will probably find quite a few abandoned projects if budget is a concern. Buyer beware though as you will find good and bad workmanship out there - You don't want to spend good money only to have to rip everything out thats been done badly.

I personally am not one for building, I prefer to let someone else do that :) So have always bought pre-built. Again there can be nice examples on eBay or Pistonheads. Or place a wanted ad on the forums.

Good luck with whatever you go for.