Forgot your password?

Stoneleigh 2015

Started by Bulldog Bri, 29, January, 2015, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

benchmark51

Eh up, Think Anna's been at the sherry again! Australian piccies  ;D ;D

sanzomat

I hope you all made it back okay today. Hopefully before it started raining! If you have got back feeling a little damp this evening, if its any consolation you probably would have been wetter if you'd driven back yesterday evening - I came through what must have been one of the heaviest showers I've ever seen somewhere between Northleach and Cirencester at about 6.45pm Sunday. I'd only stopped to put my hood up about 5 miles before as I'd set off in sunshine but I could see the sky was dark ahead. Glad I did!

Thankfully my fast idle problem seemed to have cured itself by the time I set off and it behaved okay all the way back. A few more screeches from my alternator belt and a few more flashes of the charge light but didn't run out of electricity. Unlike the yellow 7 that had broken down in Didmarton. I stopped to see if I could help but the terminal had broken off his alternator and there wasn't enough thread left to attach the wire. He'd driven until he ran out of charge and was waiting for the breakdown service. He was an Apple County guy on his way back to Taunton - hope he got back okay.

Anyway, I had a great time. It was really good to meet some of the faces I'd read posts from on the forum but hadn't seen in the flesh.

Looking back at the pictures I took they are nearly all of gearbox brackets on various GTMs so probably not much interest in me posting them!

SPAXIMUS

Well my day went off badly. Car cleaned an polished and off I went, only to reach near Cirencester when I smelt burning oil. Pulled over to see the dipstick had come out and dumped oil every where.
So whilst waiting there I was greeted by a Nigerian student who wanted to buy it an send it back to Nigeria, if he had the money I would have done it how I was feeling. I was then joined by three members of BKCC who were meeting there.

My wife brought oil and I drove back with no damage. It looks like the dipstick had got twisted on the windage tray so although in was vibrated out. massive clean up as a little oil goes a long way and a lot goes everywhere. :( 

sanzomat

Quote from: SPAXIMUS on 04, May, 2015, 07:40:25 PM
Well my day went off badly. Car cleaned an polished and off I went, only to reach near Cirencester when I smelt burning oil. Pulled over to see the dipstick had come out and dumped oil every where.
So whilst waiting there I was greeted by a Nigerian student who wanted to buy it an send it back to Nigeria, if he had the money I would have done it how I was feeling. I was then joined by three members of BKCC who were meeting there.

My wife brought oil and I drove back with no damage. It looks like the dipstick had got twisted on the windage tray so although in was vibrated out. massive clean up as a little oil goes a long way and a lot goes everywhere. :(

Sorry to hear you had problems, at least its an easy fix, albeit messy! I know what you mean about a little going a long way...

Lucky Ed

Sorry to hear about your problems Spaximus, are you sure what caused it? I've had problems with my Zetec blowing it's dipstick out with crankcase pressure, and was cured by removing the one way valve on the outlet to the breather box, but I don't know what engine you're running.

It makes one hell of a mess doesn't it :o >:(

Bulldog Bri

Wow, what a show. Both our dogs behaved (and Micky and Sammy ;D) the trailer earned it's keep for another year as Anna packed everything she possibly could and more, couldn't believe how much we took. (though we were 2 dogs and a child heavier than normal.)

With the new pitch we are now sharing with the Pilgrim club We've plenty of room and a much more prominent position in the show, just a shame the forecast was bad through the week possibly putting some off, but luckily the actual show times it stay dry and fairly sunny throughout, so hopefully with a good forecast we'll fill that pitch next time :P

Was also good to meet up with a few more members and put faces to names. And possibly some new members to be ;)

We finally got away from the show around 5 and home by 7:30 again no problems with either car (much to my relief) :P

Sorry to hear about all the others that had problems and had to miss out, hope your sorted soon with them. ::)

8)

SPAXIMUS

Yes, pretty sure as there is not a lot of crankcase pressure when you take the breathers pipes off. On the VX engine with a shallow sump you have a baffle plate with a hole in it and that is a bit misaligned I suspect.
How I found it was when I had it running and pushed the dipstick in and you could just hear the ticking as it was pushed away from the hole in the plate.
I will however be fitting a spring to make sure as it is mainly a track car so don't want it letting go on track.

Iancider

Thanks to you especially Brian and Anna for being our genial "our hosts"

In tent as big as a Palace and in our compound that could have been a paddock, you were

HOTEL BKCC
  8) 8) 8)

stevel

I was a great day today and really enjoyed meeting up with old and new members.  Anna's refreshment service was much appreciated!  Sorry I had to leave early but parental taxi duties were required.  Hope to see you all again soon.

Pilgrim Anna

Thanks guys! ;D Was no trouble. Glad to be of service! ;). Another successful year at Stoneleigh.

Moleman

Dam I wish my car was on the road. It looked a good day.  :(

benchmark51

I had an enjoyable ride up to Stoneleigh, kept a couple meets on the way. Found a casualty at Cirencester, a 7 that spat all it's oil out :'(. At one point we had seven in convoy however the 2 cobras behind me didn't get past an HGV, then missed the lights so that was the last I saw of them.

I wanted to find some Caterhams to get measurements for a half hood, but the series 3 is 200mm shorter
from screen to rollbar. Mostly because the rollbar is angled forward, also has 2 slight bends each side. Mine has a single 90deg bends and is verticle. Could change that easy enough, also my screen scuttle is steel so easy to change screen position and rake. So I reckon it's 'do-able'

Overall for me I thought the show was ok, but just ok. The salesman on the Caterham stand said monday was better attended, but understandable because of the weather.

The high point was the home made eccles cakes courtesy of Carl's SWMBO, which kept me going as I left my packed lunch at home  :-\ :-\.

The ride home was spoilt by some 'ar4ole' in a black BMW X5 who doesn't know what double white lines mean >:(. A little rain at Tetbury, but got home dryish so a good day out.

tigercub84

Hi all I went up on the Sunday. Couldn't stay to long as my co driver got soaked as we went through alot of wate. Imight be wrong but stoneleigh did not seem as big to me as last year. Less halls and trade stands inside

Bulldog Bri

There are normally a few empty stands in the halls but that's just how the industry is at the mo' :( And I don't think the public see many kit cars out on the roads like they could.

How often do you see another kit car out on the road when driving around? For these shows to get bigger we need our cars seen out and about to inspire others to get building or restoring in turn this will boost the industry. Support for clubs such as ours is vital to the whole scene.

It was good to see you there. Hope you can make it to more shows and meetings.

8)

'The Gaffer'

Had a nice day on Monday, the weather was good and it was great to meet a few new members.

Anna and Bri were perfect ambassadors for the club and welcomed visitors to the stand with great enthusiasm and sometimes a nice cup of coffee too :).

Just made it back home before the rain.

Our new stand was a success

New banner could be seen from miles away

My car had found a long distant family member. Hope they had a nice chat ;D

Pilgrim Anna

Awww glad you enjoyed the day. Was lovely weather. And your car is looking great. Maybe I can get a ride in it one day! ;D

mikebishop

hi,

had a good day, first time i'd been there. had a good run up with benchmark51. we were luckyl to get back to Yate without to much rain.

nice to meet people from the club, i'm sure i will meet more of you thurday.

Good day!!

Sumov8

I departed on the Sunday, Met two cars at the Willy Wicket with the Brake light flashing and rain, drizzle at best.
We stopped at Cirencester where I topped up with brake fluid, much to my relief as its not nice wiping water from the electrics
and wondering if the brakes are about to fail, especially as I was behind Ian's very clean Westfield.
We drove into and out of a few lakes on the Fossway, and now my rear lights thought it was Christmas every time I touched the brakes, seems there is also an earth problem some where.
As previous threads the show was great, the sun came out, the BKCC stand was very evident the minute you gained access
and I thought it was well attended considering the weather.
Once I had spent my allowance and not bent the credit card I thought I would head home before more rain with the roof down.
Big mistake!! did not quite get home before the black skies opened, I had just put my coat on when the drizzle started again, as long as I was going forward I would stay dry?
Until that is the rain came down so hard it was coming in from behind, no garage forecourts around to hide under or stop and put up the roof, so I carried on, gritting my teeth thinking its only a passing shower, until I was so wet I lost the will to stop.
I got home opened the garage and dumped the car, stripped off and dived into the shower, then spent 20 minutes telling the wife what a great show she missed.

Roll on next years event!!

Bulldog Bri

Phil. Found a photo of what I thought was the other Cyclone. Though it was listed as a Mirach ::)

There are subtle differences but still similar.  ;D

8)

Daley Down Under

Thanks to everyone who posted photos and reports.  Brings back some great memories.  Sorry to those who suffered a few mechanical gremlins and weather issues.

Cheers Adrian

Balders1973

What a great day out.

Started with a chat in the Cirencester layby with Sanzomat and his oily problems,
then upto the fossway with Mike and Dave.

Wasn't expecting to lead the way, but apparently I have the bigger sat nav  ;)

It was a pleasure to park on the BKCC stand and get to know you guys a bit better.
I even met the Gaffer !

Thanks to Anna for the cuppa, always goes down well :)

Hope to see a few of you tonight at the riverside - Carl

sanzomat

Quote from: Balders1973 on 07, May, 2015, 11:44:15 AM
Started with a chat in the Cirencester layby with Sanzomat and his oily problems

Not guilty! I've got plenty of problems but as far as I know all my oil is still in the sump! I went up on Sunday, not Monday.

CC Cyclone

Yes, not much to add. A good run up with Ian, Barry and SumoV8 trying to avoid the puddles and keep the electrics dry and then joined by sanzomat in Cirencester who had a lie in   :P

I had to leave earlyish in the afternoon and stumbled across SumoV8 again on the way home. I did wonder how you were getting on when I hit a biblical storm in the cotswolds  :o Hope you and the electrics have dried out and are back to normal. :)

I enjoyed the show and the run back in the rain was actually good fun. I had the roof on, heater on, radio on and enjoyed a comfortable cruise home. My new flat blade wipers and rain-x are a million miles away from the old things that just seemed to smear the window lightly.

Thanks to Bri & family for making me feel very welcome, a bugger that I missed Phil and the other Cyclone but i am sure our paths will cross sooner or later.

CC Cyclone

Balders1973

Sorry Sanzomat,

My addled brain  :o

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Pilgrim Anna on 05, May, 2015, 02:15:20 PM
Awww glad you enjoyed the day. Was lovely weather. And your car is looking great. Maybe I can get a ride in it one day! ;D

Of Course :)

Quote from: Balders1973 on 07, May, 2015, 11:44:15 AM

It was a pleasure to park on the BKCC stand and get to know you guys a bit better.
I even met the Gaffer !

A pleasure to meet you sir :)

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 06, May, 2015, 08:27:34 AM
Phil. Found a photo of what I thought was the other Cyclone. Though it was listed as a Mirach ::)

There are subtle differences but still similar.  ;D

8)

Ah cheers Bri, thats why a guy came over and mistook my car for one, said he knew of one with a Rover V8 in the front. Don't think so as mine is mid engined ::) It does look remarkably similar though to be fair.

Really pleased everybody had a good couple of day's despite the odd soaking ;D

Crash Test Dummy

Found a few free minutes to put a quick video together for the pictures I took at Stonleigh.

Iancider

'The Gaffer'

Added to the BKCC channel 8)