Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Bristol Motor Club's Family Day at Castle Combe. 26th July

Started by Moleman, 02, February, 2015, 08:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Brandy Barrel

08.20 and Already very heavy rain above Chepstow. Perhaps if it dumps most of it here it won't be so bad at Combe...... But I don't hold out much hope,
What a shame ....

Bulldog Bri

We're giving it a miss. :( Too wet, plus were packing for hols tomorrow :P

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Yep it's pretty bad. Forecast says even heavier later too.

Bummer  :( :( :(

Cob68

Hi heavy rain here in Yate, i am going to give it a miss do not fancy playing with the Cob on a wet track.

Hairy Santa

Been watching the rain for a hour or more , this isn't gonna let up

Just spoke to Benchmark - we are both giving it a miss  :( shame after all the organizing 

freedom 1

We are are going to give it a miss too as its pouring down in Stonehouse and looks like its in for the day. Feel very sorry for the organizers who have put in a lot time and effort to arrange this for us all to have a fabulous day. Lets hope next year will have good weather.

sanzomat

Well, I made it to combe. Must be about 80 cars here but not many BKCC?. It is currently NOT raining here.might get extra track time as only 50% attendance!

benchmark51

Too soggy for me :(, looks like I'm gonna have to suffer with roast beef dinner and the Grand Prix :P

danwilko

Went down as well, small turn out, they reckon 60% down on last year.
Just to wet really but some were hard core. Morgan three wheeler and 2 frog eye sprites with no hoods

Hairy Santa

Moleman

I do feel for the organiser.  :(  We do seem to be dogged with good days a day before an event then crap on the event this year.  ::)

Gary RH7

Just got back from St Neots after a party. I was planning to stay reasonably sober and drive back early in the morning to catch this event. After hearing the weather forecast yesterday I decided to have a few more drinks and some!!! :P Took a slow drive back and still raining in Chippenham. I am now bored and fed up  :(. Cant even cut the lawn.

Sucks that good organization goes to waste because of the weather. Big thanks to Zoe anyway ;D

sanzomat

I've just got back from Combe. I have to say I actually had a great time. The weather wasn't great but not as bad as I'd feared. I'd say every hour was made up of 20 minutes of heavy rain, twenty minutes of light drizzle and 20 minutes of not raining at all. Met and chatted to a few people I'd never seen before - great how car events mean you always have something in common to start a conversation with.

My car behaved itself. A few minor roof leaks but only a few drips. The electrics held up despite some very big puddles so no repeat of the Stoneleigh problem. My alternator belt was screeching a lot and the charge light was flashing some of the time. The belt seems tight enough so either the belt has gone hard and slippy or maybe the alternator is on the way out. Only seems to be a problem in the wet, maybe lubricates the pully/belt.

I got in all three of my parade lap sessions.

1st session was a bit slow. Only 40 or so on the straights and right down to 20 for Quarry. I was just getting the hang of hanging back when the session ended.
2nd session was much faster. The car 3 in front of me built a big gap on the first lap and then used it well on the remaining 2 laps to have some fun. The 2 behind him plus me joined in the same fun and seemed to lose the car behind me. The normal racing line is very slippy in the wet, most people were taking a wide line through all the corners. As it wasn't full race speed I tried staying on the "dry" line and having some fun slipping and sliding at a relatively low speed. Quarry and tower in particular were fun - full four wheel drifts and right on the edge of spinning. Very gentle throttle and steering inputs to keep it going the right way. Very satisfying.
On my third session I arrived a bit early and found myself in a group mostly populated with Aston Martins and Porsches. In front and behind me were Boxster S's and in front of that were a Line of 5 Astons The pace car driver seemed to not want to disappoint the Aston drivers so was going fairly quick. The Aston and Porsche in front of me clearly wanted to just go fast on the straight as they hung well back from Bobbies to Camp and then disappeared off down the main straight. I was doing around 70 and they cleared off. That suited me as I then had lots of space in front of me for Quarry, Esses & Tower and I caught them again at the exit of Bobbies. The Boxster behind me couldn't keep up through that section but caught up again by Camp.  It felt right on the edge and was feeling a bit sideways/four wheel drifting quite often. Much more of a technical challenge than I was expecting for parade laps so well chuffed with the day.

They ran track sessions 2 and 3 straight into each other so people could leave early so was home before 3.

There were a few cars without roofs who braved it including a spridget with just aeroscreens and a 1930's Singer with no hood. There was only one 7 type - a red one. No weather protection at all, just waterproofs and helmets. Not sure if it was one of ours??

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 26, July, 2015, 03:29:25 PM

There were a few cars without roofs who braved it including a spridget with just aeroscreens and a 1930's Singer with no hood. There was only one 7 type - a red one. No weather protection at all, just waterproofs and helmets. Not sure if it was one of ours??

I just posted this on another topic sanzomat!!

Sanzomat, were you at Combe today?? I spotted the little red GTM I have seen at Queens Sq, M115 TAB, was that you?

I got there but in a different non-kit car.

There was one guy who braved it in a Ninja-engined Tiger 6, alll the way from Gloucester area, brought the car on a trailer (sensible idea).

I hope to post a pic soon.

I have to say sanzomat was right, it was a great day, I'm glad I went. I can't add much to what he said other than I have discovered in the wet a 1.8 Audi TT can easily keep up with a Mazda RX8, Honda S2000 and a Lotus Elise (which span off in fear of me.... er I mean front of me!!). We had a bloody good time though in an open kit it would have been nasty!!!  :o

The red Tiger is not a member but I have asked him to google us and the Queens Sq meet so I am expecting to bump into him on here soon enough!

Gary RH7

Isn't that typical. We have a lovely evening over in Chippenham now. Dry roads and a light covering of clouds. The gods were not for this day >:(

Gary RH7

Forgot to say..glad to hear some guys had a good time.

Gary RH7

The gods are reading my posts. Its just started pi%&ing down again :-X

sanzomat

Okay, a few pix from today. Didn't take many due to the weather!

Moleman

Im so gutted for Zoe the organiser.  :(  So many times I have done this show & it looks so empty & wet up to other years.

Bulldog Bri

Yeah, what a shame, :'( it's been a good day the last 3 years I've gone. :P

8)

Facial Hair Optional

It was a good day this time!! Just not if you were in a kit car, though the lads from Gloucester enjoyed themselves and so did me and my mate Matty flying round in a TT.

Good wet track experience as far as I'm concerned. Even doing only 65 or so it was pretty hairy!!!! There was A LOT of illegal hanging back going on!!

An Elise even managed to spin off in fairly spectacular style, too hard on the loud pedal while mid chicane I suspect!  :o :o 8) 8)

Moleman

sanzomat

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 27, July, 2015, 06:06:38 PM
It was a good day this time!! Just not if you were in a kit car

It was good in a kit car too! (well, one with a windscreen, a hood, wipers and a functional demister anyway ;))

Moleman

Facial Hair Optional

Yeah the first one, the silver rag top!!!

I didnt realise you could get pics of us!!!!!!!  :o :o

It was bloody wet on track wasn't it, even at 60 or 70mph it was fun!!

Facial Hair Optional

Two non-BKCC members came all the way from Gloucester in the rain with their bike engined Tiger.  (see Colin, Tigers do not fear rain!!!  ;D ;D :P :P)

Here seen showing off their novel rain repellant system!! Good on you lads, come and join our club please!! (they were quick on track too!!)