Drifting in Cheddar Gorge - BBC Documentary

Started by 'Mendip Wurzel', 27, February, 2016, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Mendip Wurzel'

BBC 'drifting' documentary about Cheddar Gorge..... start watching at 10.42mins
Madness.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b071y3d2/inside-out-west-22022016

paintman

I saw the tyre marks last time I was there......thought it was yobs doing burn-outs and dough-nuts. ::) ::)

Pity they can't close the road for a couple of hours........I would love to watch them in the day coming down there! ::) ;) ;)

'The Gaffer'

As usual, people with a passion for motor-sport of one kind or another with nowhere to go for free and have fun. But, I bet if you asked whether they all got a buzz out of illegality of the event, most of them would probably say yes.

damouk

I'm not so sure, I doubt many of them actually think that much about it, as long as they don't get caught. It's the same with the old cruses.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 28, February, 2016, 12:06:39 PM
I bet if you asked whether they all got a buzz out of illegality of the event, most of them would probably say yes.

I think you are right Phil. Pretty much anything illicit has had a thrill attached to it over the centuries, under age drinking (we all did it back in the day!), speeding, affairs, drugs, fighting, gambling etc etc, I think it is probably human nature to be drawn to some of these at least. I guess how far you go depends on your individual nature?

Iancider

I think they were talking tosh.  They brought one girl along to prove they weren't all sado's.  This is incredibly dangerous and in a tranquil place.  I don't know if anybody else has been along the gorge in the early morning but it is a place of beauty and the road is awash with wild goats - it is a beautiful place.  Respect it.

Great emphasis was placed on "nowhere to go".  What they meant was nowhere to go for free.  Having spent thousands on their cars they are not prepared to pay £170 per day for track sessions.  There are loads of opportunities out there - there is zero need to do this in the road!

It is true that no track wants drifters in amongst other cars - they need to hire the whole track for the whole day to be among their own kind.  Call that any track at about £5,000 per day - where is the problem?

Facial Hair Optional

At the end of the day it's stupidly dangerous and illegal, I just don't see how they get away with it. If any of us did that on any other road at any other time, we'd be done for dangerous driving - end of story!

Crunchie Gears

I think drifting is quite interesting but watching for 15 minutes is about my attention span.

I am surprised that race tracks let them on with the noise restrictions they are under as the squealing tyres are pretty load.  Good on those like Castle Combe that do.

If I wanted to do a bit of drifting I would book a day in Rage buggies and have the same sideways action and save some cash  :D

Sparkyb

I completely agree with this being illegal and dangerous on public roads so please don't take my next comments too far the other way.

I turn 50 this year and I have a family so my days of seeking danger are (more or less) over. So for me a track day at a well run track is perfect and worth the money. But not everyone wants the security, health and safety of a properly run Race Track. And if they don't want it, then they won't want to pay for it.

They just want low cost fun, and who wouldn't.

So what they really need is somewhere OFF the public highways, where they can sign a complete waiver of health and safety and let off steam for minimal cost.
I don't see many track days as meeting that requirement. Too structured, safe and in reality expensive.

The more we impose our "Safe" life on the younger generation, the more they will fight it. It is part of growing up.
My wife is constantly reminding me of my anarchic early years when she hears me telling my drifting nephew to drive safe. It is too easy to forget when we were young keen and penniless.

CC Cyclone

Quote from: Sparkyb on 07, April, 2016, 11:00:59 AM
It is too easy to forget when we were young keen and penniless.

I don't know. Old, only slightly less keen but still penniless. Not much changes..  ???

benchmark51

Problem is, it is an entirely different world now. Many more people in many more cars. Much higher powered cars in the hands of drivers who have limited ability. We have to face up to the fact that to behave as we did 40 odd years ago can't be done now. I'm all for freedom to drive as you like, but not on the roads. Harming yourself is one thing , but when you put someone else at risk thats just wrong.

The Cheddar gorge thing is wrong, it is a recognised tourist attraction after all.

Facial Hair Optional

Sparkyb is right, they will rebel. I have a 16 year old boy who is about to start off-road driving lessons before he is 17 and able to have them on the road. The thought of him drivng on the road scares me whitless despite the stupid crazy things I have done in the past, but.... Dave BM51 is also right, times have changed!!! I can't drive at 125mph down the Fosse way racing a Rover SD1 3.5 anymore, no-one can, it's too bloody dangerous now and you will get nicked or kill someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think old airfields would be good for these kids, nice and cheap, not too structured and can be set up in lots of various formats. After all Top Gear and 5th Gear seem to find them handy for their shenanigans don't they?

Sparkyb

I may have given the wrong message. Driving like a hooligan on public roads is dangerous to others and wrong.
So an alternative is needed.
Airfields sound like a great idea.

I joined in a Solo event a few years ago, where a course is set up in a carpark with cones. That was great fun and everyone took turns driving and marshalling. Something like that for drifters would be ideal. I think it may be referred to as a gymkhana (search Ken Block gymkhana on youtube).

Facial Hair Optional

I think your original post was spot on Sparkyb. Youngsters know no fear - same as you and I once were I'm sure - but they also don't recognise the danger to themselves and others, as we now do due to having aged and had kids of our own. My 17 year old younger brother was killed in car accident back in 1979 so I am painfully aware of how badly things can go wrong. I wish we could put old heads on young shoulders but sadly we can't  :(

Still if we did we would have no F1, no boxing, no adrenaline sports to watch and no fighting forces to keep our country safe, then where the hell would we be!!!

paintman

Recon they've shut Keevil for motor sport......haven't seen any trackdays advertised! ::) ::)

Facial Hair Optional

This website is still up Tony....

http://www.driversdreamdays.co.uk/famous-circuits/keevil-airfield-wiltshire?gclid=CPy7nNnb_ssCFQUq0wodN8sCTQ

Not sure I'd buy anything though if they have shut down!!!

Despite that coming up from a Keevil Google search and the URL mentioning Keevil, I can't see anything about Keevil on that site can you?

benchmark51

Hmm, and it doesn't mention Ratbag passenger rides for 30 bob either. ;D ;D