+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Good Day in the Garage

Started by YellaBelly, 19, March, 2011, 08:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

With the weather almost flat calm and sunny as a sunny thing today, I had a real good productive day (not actually in the garage as the title suggests, it was far too nice).

Finally got the handbrake sorted, took some advice of a guy on another forum and tried drilling right through the centre of a couple of bolts to get me some adjustment mechanism (used the pillar drill) and hopefully got a good safe fixing for the new shorter cables (duplex wire clip - well useful :) ). Made the supports for the outer cable and got it all sorted. Works a treat, and has adjustment too :D

Also managed to get the brakes bled and sorted out a couple of small weeps from the front pipe connections through the side panels, so now got (hopefully) decent brakes.

Picked up an expansion tank from the breakers' today for the cooling system and almost finished plumbing in the cooling now just a couple of decisions to make on what goes where.

That leaves me with fuel lines from tank to pump and pump to carbs, check the carbs out for crud and obvious defects, connect up the dizzy and coil then I should be ready for that first attempt at starting   8)

So all-in-all a happy bunny tonight  ;D

Fingers crossed for a good day again tommorrow ;)

John

'The Gaffer'

Nice one, try to take a vid of the first start up. They say it can be great to look back on a nice purring engine - or the ensuing fire.

Only joking mate, good luck and great progress ;).

Grin-a-lot

The god of good garage days has been smiling on BKCC today!

YellaBelly

Yep certainly has. Right, where's me prayer mat?......

YellaBelly

Well, looks like the prayer mat worked last night :)

Managed to get the cooling system all but done today, made the bracket for the coil and got it fitted, fitted the dizzy (with points, I'm old school and why make something more complicated than it has to be :) ). Fitted a plug to each lead and turned her over to check for sparks and got a real cracker (:))) from each one.

Finished welding the supports for the front wings and gave them a lick of paint to slow down the tin worm.

Had a look at the carb which had been hiding since I bought it around 2 years ago from Stoneleigh and it really needs a major clean up. The other thing is that it is off a Sierra and has a couple of 'bits and bobs' attached to do with vacuum and water temp etc. I've got the Haynes book of lies but I am not using the manifold water connection so have no flow through one of the pipes that has a vacuum switch fitted. Not sure how this is going to affect things so we'll have to see.

So, once the carb has been cleaned and checked, all I need to do is fit the fuel lines, get a fan belt to suit the modified position of the alternator, and hopefully ready for the camcorder :o

Damn weekends are way too short :(

Denzle

I just love the enthusiasm.... :P....good work keep it up.. ;)

Denzle.....

stupott901

I have had a good weekend in the garage as well i have finished changing the dif over from the 3.92 to a 3.62 which there is a noticeable difference which is good and changed my old steel fuel tank that was leaking at the fuel sender for a nice shiny alloy fuel tank from OB performance which was so much lighter than the old steel one

I also popped up to merlin motorsports today to get a few bits and there was some teams testing I guess on the track very nice cars on track some radicals and some caterhams i could of spent all day watching but had to finish my car off