+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Pilgrim mk2 rebuild

Started by danwilko, 17, November, 2011, 05:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwilko

Hi all, some of you have now met me and had a chnace to discuss my rebuild of my mk2 pilgrim sumo cobra replica.

all sva'd and registered when i got it so hard part done but been a non runner for about 8 years and just left outside (puddles in the footwells and all).

As with a link previously, i had managed to start the engine and had to remove it due to core plugs that had 'popped' out right in the bell housing of the gearbox.

with engine sitting on the floor, radiator is now removed and and new one has been sourced, smaller but twin cored so hopefully will be ok.

new rear brake pistons purchased but will fit with new drum brakes and still need to rebuild (or get rebuilt) the front calipers and purchase new pads and discs.

I am very unsure if its based on a mk1 or mk2 granada but seem to have found out most were based on the mk2, so hopefully all mk2 bits will match.

Just got in the post my newley refurbished clutch and flywheel from a company called CG Motorsport who were at the show at exeter. they took my flywheel and skimmed it to remove the heat cracks and tidyed it up along with rebuilding the cluthc with all new parts.
I was a bit concered but the finished article is amazing, and all for £110 which included return postage (which i know cost me £20 when i sent it) so very pleased. photos to come

still trying to sell my FRP to fund for next things and will update when i can.

most things are simple but the list so far is

• new exhausts
    new manifolds
    new water hoses
    new radiator fan
    new tires
    new brakes
    new bushes on front end
    new/refurbish seats
    new seat runners
also got to steam clean engine bay, got heads checked and converted to unleaded, do head gaskets, re-bleed brakes,

Then just a check over of electrics and stuff before the mot test (which to be far i will prob fail first time but at least ill have a list then

ill put up some pics soon, away on a course next week but will definatly try and get more info on here for you all to read[/list]

'The Gaffer'

Looking forward to the pics..

danwilko

long time i know....but after a lot of wedding hassle, and FINALLY selling my racing puma i can now move on with the re-build.

watch this space  :D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: danwilko on 10, January, 2012, 06:32:37 PM
long time i know....but after a lot of wedding hassle, and FINALLY selling my racing puma i can now move on with the re-build.

watch this space  :D

Looking forward to a good build story, hope all goes well.

danwilko

just been on a bit of a buying spree
bought new fan, thermostate, new seat runners, new engine mounts,
After speaking to Hi-Spec brakes, and seeing how much it would be to service the old calipers and get pads and discs ive inversted in the billet 4 295mm kit to bolt straight onto the hubs. They be here within 3 weeks and ill got new rear brake pistons/cylinders for the drums

and a guy at work had some unused bfgoodrich tyres 255/60/15 x 2 and 205/60/15 x 2 which he let me have  :D from his old gt40 kit (he's doing his second one now)

ill stick up some pics asap

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: danwilko on 14, January, 2012, 02:53:50 PM
After speaking to Hi-Spec brakes, and seeing how much it would be to service the old calipers and get pads and discs ive inversted in the billet 4 295mm kit to bolt straight onto the hubs. They be here within 3 weeks and ill got new rear brake pistons/cylinders for the drums

Club supporters get a 5% discount from Hi-Spec ;)

danwilko

horray  :D

would put some pics up but seems i cant get the link to work above to shwo anything (stupid t mobile dongel)

anyways.
i took the heads off the v6 to check, and they were already unleaded so thats saved a bit, found a local place to check them over and paint them, but on closer inspection of the block i discovered a large crack running up to one of the bores and into the sleeveing for the piston.....been told its a no saver....
but  just got one off ebay from bath, and in really good nick, got the same electronic ignition as mine as well, turns over sweet as a nut but had to change the cam as had the plastic teeth but the old engine had the solid metal one. bores are all smooth and can put the new;y refurbed heads onto it as well

A friend of mine has taken a gasket from the manifold and got 2 sets of manifold outlet flanges made in stainless fromt the water cutters, been told they look really good and will be making me 2 manifolds and 2 exhausts in full stainless. reckons it can be doen for under £1000 for the whole lot. prob more like £800.

btw does anyone have any seats or know a good place to get seats for the cobra from, as think mine have had it

pics would be good and i will try again tomorrow

danwilko

some pics at last  :D

first one is showing the old block with the crack....maybe savable but doubht it
second and third shows the gear box out and connected to the engine ready to go in...got to get some new mountings though as was previously just a stack of washers tapped together and a pic of the new calipers behind the wheel...just got to get some nyloc nuts to secure them as new discs are not threaded.

more to follow

danwilko

Right where do i start, back to the build  :D

engine now back in the car, heads fitted as now unleaded and just got to set everythin up and re-connect the electrics etc

Just back from the kit car show and got all new hoses to fit along with new harneses and some sound deading to replace the old rotten carpet i had to cut out.

My friend has got a company to make stainless manifold to fit to the engine, the comapny cut them out using water, will stick up some pics soon.

So got to get the engine running again and fit the water hoses and radiator and fan etc

pics to follow along with a lot more build details

Bulldog Bri

Good to hear your progressing well. Keep it up.  ;D

8)

fullpint

Looking forward to seeing some pic's.. How do you guy's find the time to do these re-builds?
Rather you than me  :D :D :D :D :D

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: fullpint on 07, May, 2012, 06:52:06 PM
How do you guy's find the time to do these re-builds?

It's either that or sit in front of the TV bored and thinking I should get out and do something  :P

8)

danwilko

few pics

engine back in the car with some of my new hoses fitted, got to get the header tank sand blasted and painted red tomorrow and fit the radiator, fan and thermostat fitted.
Then can fit the alternator and need to get new dis cap (different engine uses the black cap not red cap  :( )

and second pic a fully fitted front brake set.

Dixie

Quote from: danwilko on 25, February, 2012, 02:21:49 PM

some pics at last  :D

first one is showing the old block with the crack....maybe savable but doubht it
second and third shows the gear box out and connected to the engine ready to go in...got to get some new mountings though as was previously just a stack of washers tapped together and a pic of the new calipers behind the wheel...just got to get some nyloc nuts to secure them as new discs are not threaded.

more to follow

I'll buy the cracked block off you if you decide that it cannot be repaired.

Thanks Mark

danwilko

right, bit sow at minute but still got a few things done....
radiator and fan now fitted, got to get a few extra hoses and a new header tank to check that, and the new thermostat.

engine now turns over...but.....it doesnt seem to start. frist determined it was the fuel pump that had packed in so got a new one, and after refurbing the carburettor the fuel is flowing through loverly  :D

but....not fuel to the plugs, so re-set up the rockers as sure the gaps weren't right so wasnt letting any fuel get to the plugs.

re-set these up and seems one of the push rods on the exhaust side isn't dropping, any ideas? i changed the push rod and still seems to stick.  will have to look into this in more detail and try again

danwilko

sputter sputter    woosh!!!!

out came the flames from the non maifolded exits and it was alive  :D

lucky i had a bucket of water

couldnt run it for to long with no exhaust and no cooling (just ordering extra pipes and header tank) then its time to check everything again and then.....well not much i hope

Exhausts
seats and harnesses to fit
brakes to bleed
check over electrics (think this will be a bugger) along with fan working
tires to fit (hopefully they wont rub the rear arches

i might have it ready for the summer afetr all

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: danwilko on 07, June, 2012, 05:42:01 PM
i might have it ready for the summer afetr all

Fingers crossed for you fella 8)

danwilko

right, firstly apologises for not posting, been busy looking for houses (one with a big enough garage  :D) but now i will be putting up lots more posts.

my mate is back from racing in germany and will be starting the new manifolds and exhausts in full stainless, lots of pics to follow

then just got to re-fit brake cylinder (needed to remove it to help with manifold fitting) and bleed brakes
refit seats with new runners (this is a lot harded than i thought, the bolts are so fiddlily)
get carb sorted with new air filter and re-set up engine (starts now loverly but need to check gaps)
fill water system as all new hoses fitted and new header tank arrived
then its a test drive down road and find out what electrical problems exist

then.....
MOT to get official print out of the rest of the faults.

it nearly seems like the end

danwilko

pics of manifold 1 being made by my mate

hope thay all work

once he's got that side done, he's doing other side as well then one of his mates is going to tig weld them up proper

danwilko

one manifold nearly complete, just got to tig weld it and finish it