News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Robin Hood 2B+ with supercharger

Started by chills, 27, December, 2011, 04:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chills

Project Ernie...

So I'm new but have just bought me a new toy...

Spec:
2lt ZETEC supercharged, currently approx 200bhp
JE forged pistons, Eagle H-section forged con rods with ARP big end bolts
Eaton M62 supercharger from a Mercedes 230 slk, 1 litre displacement per rev currently geared at 1.5:1
Custom intercooler and greddy bypass valve
Custom 4 into 1 stainless manifold 1.75" headers into 2.5" downpipe, repackable stainless silencer
Wbo2 wideband lambda sensor, Knock sensor, MBE971 fully mapable ECU
Custom double wishbone suspension at the front. GAZ rose jointed coilovers at the front.
SPAX coilovers at the rear on the standard sierra based rear semi trailing arm suspension.
OZ superleggra 15" wheels with Toyo proxes T1-s 195/50/15's on the front and Toyo proxes T1-s 215/50/15's on the rear.
Custom floor mounted pedal box, Type 9 gearbox, Limited slip diff from a 4x4 sierra complete with rear disc brakes.
Corbeau bucket seats, LUKE four point harnesses, VDO gauges, Rally design flat bottom suede steering wheel

As I'm a track addict the car will be lightened, within reason (its a Robin Hood) with emphasis on power and lightweight rather than comfort and looks.
But I am hoping to re-attach the nose cone to the bonnet (fouls on the i/cooler on opening at the mo), tidy/strip the interior, change the yellow > satin black and hopefully re-do the wiring and dash too...

I come from a very different car (500+bhp Skyline) and as this is my first kit-car so I'm very open to suggestions and advice...
Are there any decent suppliers of parts in Bristol? Who does everyone use?
For now I need to get and redo all the poppers... also the strips that go next to the seats where your arm rests...  and the sealing strip on top of the windscreen...
Is it worth changing the rear wings to fibreglass ones to save weight?

I'll try and get some more pics up as and when I improve the car.
Thanks for everyone's warm welcome and help and I hope to see you on a track soon. :)

Chris ~:)

Grin-a-lot

Looks like a fun car you've got there.  I don't know much about these things but if you want to save weight and improve aerodynamics then consider getting rid of the windscreen.  The car is about as aerodynamic as a brick so bin the window and get a bubble screen.

I've heard plenty of good things from people that have done this.

I'd also suggest a decent geometry set up to get the handling spot on, the performance gains per £ make this worth doing too!

Enjoy a working on it and I'll look forward to being lapped sometime in 2012!

chills

Cheers and thanks for the ideas...
I was thinking about losing the screen, as you say, the aerodynamics of a brick. But I would like to keep the option of full weather gear for getting to tracks in the rain and scaring the wife on the road in the winter. :D
Ideally I'd like a removable bubble/aero screen with the option of refitting the windscreen on wet days... Presumably the GBS Zero aeroscreen would fit and could be made removable?
I feel a bit guilty too about removing the windscreen as the builder has gone to a lot of trouble with the wipers, heater, etc... Seems a shame but performance HAS to be the priority.

Will DEF be getting her geometry set-up at FCM Motorsport, quite near me... They always did a good job with my Skyline and it makes a HYUUUGE difference.

Don't know about my lapping you but certainly look forward to hitting the track in her soon. Pedals are FLOOR mounted which feels REALLY weird! Not sure if I'll be able to live with that and may end up switching to a race pedal set the 'right' way up.

Already got me a set of more modern mirrors with built in indicators so the bricks on top of the front wheel arches are going. :D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: chills on 28, December, 2011, 12:41:26 PM
Already got me a set of more modern mirrors with built in indicators so the bricks on top of the front wheel arches are going. :D

And so the modding begins ;D

Nice pics by the way.

fullpint

Will DEF be getting her geometry set-up at FCM Motorsport...

I must look into this myself.. I guess it's a 'while0U-wait' service??

Grin-a-lot

I used Track Developments for my geometry set-up who do good rates for BKCC members and I rate them highly.

There's some good reviews of their work on this forum somewhere.

It was a personal service set up for my needs (compromise between road and track for me) and took about 5 hours.  It was actually an enjoyable and interesting day too (but then I am a bit of a geek)...

chills

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 28, December, 2011, 09:32:27 PM
And so the modding begins ;D

You have no idea... I've already a list of changes to make and I come from a background of modding...
My previous toy was a 530bhp Skyline where every panel, every engine part, etc. was modified. Musta spent > £20k on the car's mods and sold it for £8k! :(

The beast:

Quote from: fullpint on 29, December, 2011, 06:33:20 AM
Will DEF be getting her geometry set-up at FCM Motorsport...

I must look into this myself.. I guess it's a 'while0U-wait' service??
Yep, book in and it s a while-u-wait... takes a coupla hours tops and the guy is happy to discuss and show you everything he does. :)

Quote from: Grin-a-lot on 29, December, 2011, 11:51:40 AM
I used Track Developments for my geometry set-up who do good rates for BKCC members and I rate them highly.
There's some good reviews of their work on this forum somewhere.
It was a personal service set up for my needs (compromise between road and track for me) and took about 5 hours.  It was actually an enjoyable and interesting day too (but then I am a bit of a geek)...
Cheers for that, not heard of them but am liking the idea of a discount. :D
I'm a geek too and its important to me that the guy setting up the car understands how you need the car to handle for maximum grin factor. :)

paintman

I think your find the difference between a light-weight kit car and a large saloon staggering.  You lose the feeling that your protected in a bubble of metal....in the Hood you will feel very exposed and vunerable, feeling every bump and variation in the roads surface through your seat and no computor aids to help you!!......a very different experience to be sure! ;)

'The Gaffer'

Tony is right.

Personally having driven a few kit cars and a Skyline the difference is like chalk and cheese but both great fun in their own rights.

chills

Quote from: paintman on 29, December, 2011, 10:13:34 PM
I think your find the difference between a light-weight kit car and a large saloon staggering.  You lose the feeling that your protected in a bubble of metal....in the Hood you will feel very exposed and vunerable, feeling every bump and variation in the roads surface through your seat and no computor aids to help you!!......a very different experience to be sure! ;)
Indeed - I've mates with a coupla kitcars and having been out as a passenger I do indeed feel more "exposed and vulnerable"... I believe the word is terrified! ;)
Between them they've a Locost, Sylva Jester and a Striker. Completely different to a Skyline f'sure but prob with the Skyline was that with all that power came 1600Kg! When I was braking for a hairpin, they were still accelerating!  :o

And, no... no more relying on a computer to sort everything out for me... and this was my main motivation behind getting a kitcar. Thought I might finally learn to drive properly rather than just 'get through' the corners and blast up the straights. I got so lazy with the heavy Skyline although I think they are still great cars and amazing value for money.

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 30, December, 2011, 12:18:06 AM
Tony is right.

Personally having driven a few kit cars and a Skyline the difference is like chalk and cheese but both great fun in their own rights.
Nice GTR you had there! :D Mine was a GTS-T dressed up as a GT-R although with RWD rather than 4WD so a 'real man's car'! ;)
Think I'll have to dramatically alter my driving style as I usually just slide through the bendy bits just leaving a trail of smoke behind for amusement...
YooToob link:
This obviously wasn't a fast lap... just me messing about - all those black lines are from my previous laps.  8)

The Robin Hood is an inbetween toy while I save and plan for my ideal toy... SDR V-Storm. :D

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: chills on 28, December, 2011, 12:41:26 PM
Cheers and thanks for the ideas...
I was thinking about losing the screen, as you say, the aerodynamics of a brick. But I would like to keep the option of full weather gear for getting to tracks in the rain and scaring the wife on the road in the winter. :D
Ideally I'd like a removable bubble/aero screen with the option of refitting the windscreen on wet days... Presumably the GBS Zero aeroscreen would fit and could be made removable?
I feel a bit guilty too about removing the windscreen as the builder has gone to a lot of trouble with the wipers, heater, etc... Seems a shame but performance HAS to be the priority.

Will DEF be getting her geometry set-up at FCM Motorsport, quite near me... They always did a good job with my Skyline and it makes a HYUUUGE difference.

Don't know about my lapping you but certainly look forward to hitting the track in her soon. Pedals are FLOOR mounted which feels REALLY weird! Not sure if I'll be able to live with that and may end up switching to a race pedal set the 'right' way up.

Chris
You mentioned about keeping the windsreen for wet days for getting to the track.... I lot of people seem to invest in a trailer for track days as it is easy to break a car at these sort of events, and without a trailer you then have a problem in getting home.
Kevin 

chills

Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 30, December, 2011, 04:00:48 PMChris
You mentioned about keeping the windsreen for wet days for getting to the track.... I lot of people seem to invest in a trailer for track days as it is easy to break a car at these sort of events, and without a trailer you then have a problem in getting home.
Kevin
Indeed I'm torn and comparing the costs between buying a trailer and a vehicle with which to tow it / cost of insuring and taxing the car but allowing use on the road too...
I've no space for a trailer really so its far from ideal but as you say, much better for trackdays if the car might break. I've done >20 track days and (touch wood) not so much as a puncture but I suspect Mr. Nissan built his cars better than a guy in a garage, plus eventually I guess I'll crash.  :-[

I will look into costs of a braked trailer, etc...

Cheers, Chris ~:)

'The Gaffer'

From what I've seen, fatal breakdowns or serious accidents are very very rare at track days. But how about fabricating or buying an A-Frame that fits to the wishbones to tow - I was planning on doing the same.

chills

Have seen one rather spectacular crash at Brands in the session before mine, guy taken to hospital but car totalled... :(
But as you say, thankfully very rare...

A-frame would be a good solution but the law seems to be a minefield... ie Do the car's brakes need to be linked to the towing vehicle? Are you even allowed to unless the towed vehicle is broken down and being taken to safety? Would poss also need insurance for the kit car too removing a lot of my incentive for towing. :(

David H

welcome!

With those internals, that Zetec should be able to produce a tonne of power

You should have fun with that on the track ;D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: chills on 30, December, 2011, 08:03:20 PM
Have seen one rather spectacular crash at Brands in the session before mine, guy taken to hospital but car totalled... :(
But as you say, thankfully very rare...

A-frame would be a good solution but the law seems to be a minefield... ie Do the car's brakes need to be linked to the towing vehicle? Are you even allowed to unless the towed vehicle is broken down and being taken to safety? Would poss also need insurance for the kit car too removing a lot of my incentive for towing. :(

You can have just as much fun on the road, you can also attend car meets :) Kit car insurance does not cost a fortune. A frames are a grey areas aggreed, Adrian (Marlbrocar) used to tow his blade everywhere with no problems. How many motorhomes do you see towing small cars with a frames? Personally I would not worry and if the track was close enough I would drive the kit there anyway.

Just my 2 pennies.

chills

Quote from: David H on 01, January, 2012, 12:21:41 AM
welcome!
With those internals, that Zetec should be able to produce a tonne of power
You should have fun with that on the track ;D
Cheers and fingers crossed with the power... Will bung up a dyno chart once it gets mapped. :)

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 01, January, 2012, 02:12:09 PM
You can have just as much fun on the road, you can also attend car meets :) Kit car insurance does not cost a fortune. A frames are a grey areas aggreed, Adrian (Marlbrocar) used to tow his blade everywhere with no problems. How many motorhomes do you see towing small cars with a frames? Personally I would not worry and if the track was close enough I would drive the kit there anyway.
Just my 2 pennies.
I've heard that insurance will be much cheaper than I'm used to but if I DO have it 'on the road' then I'll have to add tax and MOT costs too. :( Although I would love to drive on the road, at least sometimes just for the looks it'll get. :)

Motorhomes, AFAIK, use a special setup where the car is adapted to brake with the motorhome's brakes.
Am tempted to just risk it with an A-frame but wouldn't want to be stopped by a policeman and be stranded roadside. And I'll need a better suited tow-car as my other vehicle is a lil baby van (Suzuki Carry). Poor little thing barely gets up hills with a few passengers... imagine it towing a heavy 'Hood behind it!  :o

RMW50

I bought an A frame last year, and from what I found out the un braked car (or trailer as it becomes with an A frame) should be lighter than the allowance for the towing car - you can find out the braked and un braked weights for your car. As long as you have a light board and are within the permissible un braked weight then you should be OK with the Police - but no accounting for any over enthusiastic ones though!
I didn't have room for a trailer, and needed a way of getting the toy a reasonable distance, the track day I was going on last year was 2+ hours away and I would end up stopping so many times for fuel it was the only real solution.

Hope this helps, welcome to the club and hope to meet up some time in 2012.

Rich

Daley Down Under

As Gaffer says, I used an A-Frame set up to tow my Megablade everywhere (apart from Combe which I drove to with slicks ratchet strapped to the roll bar as per David H and Rob P).  Was stopped once but just routine - only thing they checked was tyres (which need to be road legal on the towed vehicle).  No problems with tow weight as virtually everything can tow 750kg unbraked.

Adrian

chills

Cheers guys and yes, that helps!  8)

"Slicks strapped to the roll cage"? All four wheels? :o

Have looked into A-frames and can buy em new from ~ £130 on fleabay but my van is just not up to the task... Towing limit 400Kg braked and unbraked so diff vehicle DEF needed.  :(

Just need to find the motivation to head out into the cold garage and start stripping and painting the chassis and removing the screen, etc...
Already got me a cheap aeroscreen (which MAY fit), mirrors with indicators built in and I've some cheap vinyl wrap coming to cover all the s/steel too... She's going matte black and stealthy.  8)

Daley Down Under

"Slicks strapped to the roll cage"? All four wheels? :o

[/quote]

Yep - worked really well but does depend on roll bar type and boot box.

Adrian

chills

Nice - like yer style...
Think I'd just get the wife to follow with wheels in the van. :D

Never used slicks, think I'm dangerous enough already... lot of the spins I've seen are from peeps on slicks with grip that apparently falls off sharply on the limit.
Think I'll stick to road tyres and just slide round the corners instead.

Daley Down Under

Once you try the slicks you won't go back. Worth 3secs a lap at Combe and if you're on 13inch rims you can pick up good secondhand set of 4 for £60 all in that'll last 4 or 5 open pit lane days.

Adrian

Lucky Ed

I'll second that about slicks, got to be the cheapest go-faster mod there is.

In that vein does anybody know if 13" rims will fit on Sierra hubs with std. calipers?. Currently got 15's on the Mac1, but second hand 15" slicks appear to be like hens teeth....unless anybody knows different!

Ps Chills, let me know how you get on with the cheap vinyl wrap, thinking abouy it myself, but have heard bubbles can be a problem. ;D

David H

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 03, January, 2012, 10:24:28 AM
Once you try the slicks you won't go back. Worth 3secs a lap at Combe and if you're on 13inch rims you can pick up good secondhand set of 4 for £60 all in that'll last 4 or 5 open pit lane days.

Adrian

2nd that.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Ed P on 03, January, 2012, 10:32:49 PM
I'll second that about slicks, got to be the cheapest go-faster mod there is.

In that vein does anybody know if 13" rims will fit on Sierra hubs with std. calipers?. Currently got 15's on the Mac1, but second hand 15" slicks appear to be like hens teeth....unless anybody knows different!

Ps Chills, let me know how you get on with the cheap vinyl wrap, thinking abouy it myself, but have heard bubbles can be a problem. ;D

15inch slicks are a real challenge.  You could try Harkness Tyres in Chipping Sodbury.  Steve does get secondhand slicks in but tend to be seasonal (Apr-Sept).  13 inch also gives you much less unsprung weight.  Try a 13 inch rim over the Sierra hubs - either borrow one or they are next to nothing from a scrappie (steel Ford items).

Adrian

chills

Cheers - am tempted to try slicks although I must admit that grip and laptimes aren't my ultimate aim... Sometimes having less grip = bigger grin! :D
Plus I'm on 15" rims too. :(

Quote from: Ed P on 03, January, 2012, 10:32:49 PM

Will do - it arrived this morning. Too cold to head out to the garage... looking for things around the house to try and wrap. :)
This vinyl is 'supposed' to help with the bubbles, having small grooves in the rear face to help them escape... We'll see.
Certainly was cheaper than most I've seen... 1.55m x 10m for ~ £80.
Hoping the main s/steel panels will be straightforward although I suspect the nosecone will end up being sprayed to match.

chills

UPDATE:
Soz for not posting before... been too cold to tempt me into the garage.   :(

Car was squeezed (JUST - VERY wide car) onto a mate's trailer and off to Mek Motorsport for Dave to check/tweak the map...

Dave carefully worked his way up the revs, tweaking as he went until he got to 6,000 revs. A bracket holding the alternator gave which in turn caused the alternator to move and the belt jump off... So no more supercharger, no more mapping...
The car also threw up a coupla other issues to be sorted, most major of which was a cooling hose layout that was routed just next to the exhaust manifold and supercharger and then expected the water to go uphill from the header tank.  ??? Needless to say the water was not obliging and overheating became a big issue.

Still, the car made ~ 210bhp at 6,000 and with the forged internals we should be able to go just over 7,000 and make ~ 250ish. I'm happy with that and I'm sure it'll be more than enough. For now Dave's just put a safe map on for above 6,000 and I'll try that car like that while I get used to it.
Nice flamage upon lifting the throttle too, which is nice. :D

Bracket is being rewelded, braced this time and I'll sort the hose layout and poss header position too.

Also sprayed the (very worn) steering wheel and wrapped the front mudgaurds... The wrap is surprisingly easy to use, even coping quite well with the double curve of the mudguards and my ineptitude. There ARE creases if you look closely on the double curves but for the money and speed of fitting, I'm happy.

Hoping to get it all done and on track next month, certainly April at the latest...

Cheers all,

'Mendip Wurzel'

Looking good ..... and re-assuring that the engine in producing good BHP.

Where did you get the wrap from and is it easy to fit around the curves etc.... I was thinking of doing something similar if it is not too difficult.
I quite like the stain black look as it a bit different.

Kevin

'The Gaffer'

Great work, love the flames 8)

Look forward to an update.

chills

Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 13, February, 2012, 05:32:31 PM
Looking good ..... and re-assuring that the engine in producing good BHP.

Where did you get the wrap from and is it easy to fit around the curves etc.... I was thinking of doing something similar if it is not too difficult.
I quite like the stain black look as it a bit different.

Kevin
Cheers and the wrap was from 'car-wrap' on fleabay: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/car-wrap/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
I managed to 'win' 10m x 1.52m for £80... Officially its 'Matte Black' but looks more like a Satin which I prefer. :)
Its the 'bubble free' vinyl with grooves in the back to make it easier to fit.
I thought the s/steel looked a bit dated but couldn't bring myself to paint it so this seemed like a good (and cheap) option. Just need some better (warmer) weather so I can wrap the rest of the car.

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 13, February, 2012, 07:42:47 PM
Great work, love the flames 8)
Look forward to an update.
Yep, the flames are quite amusing... wouldn't wanna be on the left when I come past and those flames come across at yer! :D

chills

Apologies for not updating this before... forgot.  :-[

I just about got the car finished and MOT was the day before I was due at Hullavington airfield.
Got the car there but soon found that the stupid garage had refitted the battery but not bothered to re-strap it down so first major brakeing and it shifted forward, shorted on the bonnet and I lost all electrics.  >:(
Yes, I know - I shoulda checked everything before hitting the track but time was short (and I forgot).
As it took the fuel pump with it my day was done and lesson learnt.  :'(

Few weeks later though I was back at Hullavington and this time, even the sun came out to play and it was a hot day! (This was a while ago, obviously :D)
Car went well and, apart from getting very hot, performed as well as I could have hoped. I'm still very much learning how to drive this kinda car coming from a heavy Skyline with a computer doing everything for me...
Struggling to brake late as I'm used to trying to stop 1 1/2 ton... this thing can brake SO late! :D
Overheating was just the prob of lack of venting and shielding between the coolant hose and the supercharger / manifold.
Will soon (if it EVER stops raining) get sorted with vents on both sides and in the bonnet and hopefully see some of you at a track near here soon. :D

Anyway, little vid below so you can hear the supercharger - great sound and VERY addictive. :D
Excuse my nervous driving but this was the first sesh and, well... I'm a crap driver.  :(

(Tried embedding the vid - didn't seem to work :()

So link instead...   

Enjoy the noise...

Edit. Embeded vid. Just copy and paste youtube url and it will magically appear ;)

fullpint

chills

Oh yes, forgot to say... a nice little spin at the end of the vid.
You know what its like when you're catching someone in front and the red mist comes down...  :D

I figure if you're not spinning, you're not trying! ;)

'The Gaffer'

YZFMINI

Nice spin..
That app you have on your phone you recoded the video on look good you should add it to the list i have started.
Did it record it with the data over layed?
I will be trying a few out at castle combe in august..
Yzfmini

chills

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 13, July, 2012, 11:40:04 AM
Nice spin ;D
Thanks - I do try... :)
And thanks for sorting my embedded vid - will know for next time. Cheers.

Quote from: YZFMINI on 13, July, 2012, 04:06:42 PM
Nice spin..
That app you have on your phone you recoded the video on look good you should add it to the list i have started.
Did it record it with the data over layed?
I will be trying a few out at castle combe in august..
Yzfmini

Cheers and will look for your list in a mo.
The app is called 'Harrys LapTimer' and it records the video and data at the same time, putting the 2 together in post-processing but all within the one app.
VERY easy to use, records in full HD on the iPhone4 and you can an adapter to include revs, gear, etc. too.

stupott901

Great vid and a nice cheeky spin at the end quality